Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

EveAlex wrote: »

drink driving. They are always at it. like literally drink diriving! you stop at a traffic light and you can be gaurenteed to look around you and the guy sitting beside you at the lights will be downing a beer! while in the drivers seat.

This very true. Aussies call them "travellers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

the lack of footwear! i thought it was just an aussie backpacker thing but as soon as i got to Oz i realised it was a national pasttime

saying 'sweet as....' or 'its cheap as.......' 'its easy as...........' sweet as what!? cheap as what!? Easy as what!?

I actually like the "sweet as" "cheap as" things. I also like how they ask a question when they are making a statement, such as "How good is THAT?!" :)

I don't get the bare feet thing. I just think it's dirty and tacky at this stage. I remember arriving in Perth and fellas walking around in their bare feet. It's like they are trying to make a statement that they are so laid back, they don't even wear shoes. Uncle picked the folks up once from the airport in Perth, no shoes on. It costs nothing to chuck on a pair of thongs.... fs... :rolleyes:

I also liked the way every word is cut. "visiting the relos" for example and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Zambia wrote: »
    292381_246370628799874_581443933_n.jpg

All because Ford seems to design their Speedometers to be a little over.

We have a falcon and we've had 2 speeding fines since we got here, never ever had one in Ireland. Must be the ford! Seriously though the speed limit changes 14 times on the stretch of road we use most and when you stay below the limit they drive up your backside. Undertaking is rampant here too, makes for scary driving.

Undertaking is rampant here too, makes for scary driving.

Ya undertaking is legal here. I try to avoid doing it as much as possible as it doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

what's wrong with ya?

"I'm crook azzzzzs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

drink driving. They are always at it. like literally drink diriving! you stop at a traffic light and you can be gaurenteed to look around you and the guy sitting beside you at the lights will be downing a beer! while in the drivers seat.

When we had house parties, the aussies would drive. they would calculate how long the drive took by the amount of beers they had. 'aw mate it quick as, only took me two beers to get here' NUTS

I overheard someone onetime say that even opening a beer while driving in south australia was not illegal, but i would have to check that.. personally i'd find it hard to believe, but the aussies do love to drink & drive.

you know it's rampant when learners think nothing of it..

"$50,000 repair bill looms for P-plater"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I overheard someone onetime say that even opening a beer while driving in south australia was not illegal, but i would have to check that.. personally i'd find it hard to believe, but the aussies do love to drink & drive.

you know it's rampant when learners think nothing of it..

"$50,000 repair bill looms for P-plater"

That was made illegal in Victoria in Jan 2012 for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

call all sweets lollies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Say 'too easy' when asked for something.

It annoys locals too - there's a sportsman up here who went a bit nuts on twitter a few months ago when he went to a cafe for breakfast, put in an order and the server responded 'too easy'. The server then proceeded to completely stuff up the guy's order, and the sports guy was ranting on twitter like 'Apparently it's not "too easy" because you GOT IT ALL WRONG' etc. etc...

saying 'arvo' for afternoon.

Hey maybe we should add an aussie lexicon to the FAQ :pac: I reckon we have enough material in here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

the lack of footwear! i thought it was just an aussie backpacker thing but as soon as i got to Oz i realised it was a national pasttime

saying 'sweet as....' or 'its cheap as.......' 'its easy as...........' sweet as what!? cheap as what!? Easy as what!?

they consider going travelling as visiting perth or darwin!!!! i said i was travelling the world. they said, iv travelled before. 'oh yeah where?' Darwin. doesnt count if you stay in the same country pal!

CAPSICUM! hahahahaahahhah
    i

When we had house parties, the aussies would drive. they would calculate how long the drive took by the amount of beers they had. 'aw mate it quick as, only took me two beers to get here' NUTS

I was also asked in a job interview if being in the IRA was scary - i have previous experience in the Irish Defence force. this happened twice!
    if they dont travel then how come there so many of them in earls court:confused:?

Say 'too easy' when asked for something.

It annoys locals too - there's a sportsman up here who went a bit nuts on twitter a few months ago when he went to a cafe for breakfast, put in an order and the server responded 'too easy'. The server then proceeded to completely stuff up the guy's order, and the sports guy was ranting on twitter like 'Apparently it's not "too easy" because you GOT IT ALL WRONG' etc. etc...

Can't believe I forgot that one, really popular in Qld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Claasman wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot that one, really popular in Qld
    I dont hear it in WA at all. I did hear it all the time when I was on QLD alright.

The checking your shopping bag as you leave Big W and the likes. That bugs the fcuk out of me. Imagine trying to do that in Ireland. There would be war

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Mellor wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed the way they pronounce "assume"
    Ashhume

Haha that one really ****ed me off at the start. 'Ashume, preshume' Its ok now though, but il never find myself repeating it

just came through in the junk mail yesterday. Cheap as chips.. it how they roll!

"no drama's"

Another popular Qld saying

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fairy bread. Wtf is that all about?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fairy bread. Wtf is that all about?

This is a good one. Bread, butter and 100's & 1000's. :confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

At the end of some of their ads where they say "spoken by K Davey" etc

Anyone know why they do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Oh i love fairy bread! Staple of all kids birthday parties :)

I think the 'spoken by... ' is only on political ads. Not sure of the exact reason though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Slidey wrote: »
    At the end of some of their ads where they say "spoken by K Davey" etc

Anyone know why they do this?

not sure which adds your talking about but for political and government adds they have to announce what party or government sector its for at the end and the speakers name, i used to know why that was but thats a decade ago...

Douna = duvet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

They pronounce the word assume like sean connery! Ashhhummme!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

call all sweets lollies

I've always liked that.

Sundy wrote: »
    This morning in Perth at about 9.30 I saw some cyclists having a coffee. Over dressed would describe then nicely. Helmet, riding cap, snood, long sleeve thermal tops and leggings under full cycle gear and to top it off shoe covers.

Perfectly normal for a winters day you say? Yes, other than it was about 12 degrees C

I cycle to & from work in a long sleeve shirt, a sleeveless fleece & jeans at around 20c. That is actually quite cool with almost no humidity in the dry season. Also you get used to 35-40c for 9 months of the year up in the tropics.

So 12c could be damn cold to alot of people

I was also asked in a job interview if being in the IRA was scary - i have previous experience in the Irish Defence force. this happened twice!

Jeez ! What the hell did you say to them!
    How was their reaction when you set them straight!

Up in the NT & QLD (maybe other places too i dunno) they call their meal breaks "smoko" whether or not they are smokers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Smoko started off as a British saying for a short break in the (late ?)1800's, still used in Australia and NZ, probably starting to die out as the Metro-Tradies head off to The Coffee Club or a Sushi Bar for lunch instead of taking a Esky full of grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I cycle to & from work in a long sleeve shirt, a sleeveless fleece & jeans at around 20c. That is actually quite cool with almost no humidity in the dry season. Also you get used to 35-40c for 9 months of the year up in the tropics.

I'm working on a farm near Donnybrook and they think I'm mad going around in shorts and T-Shirt and its 18 degrees! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I'm working on a farm near Donnybrook and they think I'm mad going around in shorts and T-Shirt and its 18 degrees! :confused:
    Is that in Victoria north of Wollert ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Zambia wrote: »
    Is that in Victoria north of Wollert ?

Nah out in WA

Advertisement