Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

The "finals" system in AFL - semifinals, finals, grand final instead of quarters, semis and final.

The Aussies I worked with couldnt see why I found it strange

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ceegee wrote: »
    The "finals" system in AFL - semifinals, finals, grand final instead of quarters, semis and final.

The Aussies I worked with couldnt see why I found it strange

It's because of the different format in AFL. It's not a single elimination format like in soccer or the all-ireland. Where you have 4 matches, 2 matches, 1 match. With the winners proceeding each round.

In AFL it wouldn't make sense to call the 3rd last round quarter-finals as there isn't 4 matches. There's only 2 so they call them semi-finals. And not all the matches the previous week are elimination matches, so they aren't quarters either.

I think they could have definitely come up with a better naming convention but I understand why they didn't use the traditional quarter, semi, final.

Calling them "Preliminaries" > Semi-finals > Grand final would be better. But too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I hate the way they pronounce the word hostel as... Hos-tel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

i hate the way they put lumps of salt and herbs on everything,trying to give me a heart attack or wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Pronounce creche as "CRAYSCH" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

dacks = boxer shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Been paranoid about that creche word for years........gets looks of pity for my mispronounciation whenever I have to say the word and it is a word that I have to say a lot.

I have taken to ask for chips unsalted when we eat out. The ones caked in rock salt are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

You mean hot chips?

ellaq wrote: »
    Been paranoid about that creche word for years........gets looks of pity for my mispronounciation whenever I have to say the word and it is a word that I have to say a lot.

I have taken to ask for chips unsalted when we eat out. The ones caked in rock salt are the worst.

When I say creche, they give me a pity look too and say "oh you mean CRAYSCH", I then say "no I mean CRECHE!!!!". It never goes down well!!

Another one is calling a strimmer a trimmer...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

man1 wrote: »

Another one is calling a strimmer a trimmer...:eek:

Never heard of a Trimmer just a Whipper Snipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

mandrake04 wrote: »
    .. just a Whipper Snipper.

THAT! confused the bejaysus out of me. Spent ages looking for one, and got many a funny look from people when i asked about strimmers, until i realised they called them whipper snippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Calling a Consaw a "quick cut"

There is a good few mechanics tools that have different names here but to be fair it may be a lot to do with our names and the yanks influence too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

THAT! confused the bejaysus out of me. Spent ages looking for one, and got many a funny look from people when i asked about strimmers, until i realised they called them whipper snippers.

Same with Power washers took me ages to work out why Aussies called them 'Gurneys'

then I found out it was 'Gerni' which is a Danish power washer company.

But Irish people do the same thing, was at a wedding a few months ago and we give this Irish guy a lift and he left a bag in my wife's car. He kept going on to my brother-in-law that he had to get his bag from 'The Jeep' which confused him since we don't have a Jeep....... its a Toyota Landcruiser.

My mother calls my car a Jeep too. It is a Landrover Discovery. I have given up trying to explain the difference. It is the whole Hoover thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Same with Power washers took me ages to work out why Aussies called them 'Gurneys'

then I found out it was 'Gerni' which is a Danish power washer company.

That explains it. I was wondering were Gurney came from.

flash for cash = speed cameras
    RBT'D = Randomly breath tested
    Maccas = McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

DT's=Dick togs=Budgie smugglers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Collected = Hit by a car/something

"So the commodores collected him and sent him down the creek bed"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

The lack of best before dates on eggs is quite annoying, delightfully found this out yesterday during breakfast....ugh!
    I've also yet to get a decent reason as to why a person is known as Spider!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

crushproof wrote: »

Would that be a Rock Spider they are talking about???

Thats a bloke who "Enjoys" prison life, especially shower time. :eek:

• Advertisement

Drink UHT milk, it looks like white water...

Best before dates will be on the box for sure, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them otherwise.

I always thought a rock spider is a paedophile.

Never heard of a Trimmer just a Whipper Snipper.

Must be a regional thing, they seem to call them trimmers around here. Very Strange!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

They wear sunglasses when the sun is not shining.

call bed linen manchester???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

STIG83 wrote: »
    They wear sunglasses when the sun is not shining.

to be fair to the aussies, UV radiation can be a lot higher here. Even if the sun isn't shining, it can still be bright and glary. And since no amount of UV is good for your eyes, sunglasses with uv protection are often recommended even if it's overcast.

to be fair to the rest of us, aussies do love to wear them even when it's dark. I've seen them everywhere, at night, indoors, underground car parks, supermarket.. it's pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crushproof wrote: »
    The lack of best before dates on eggs is quite annoying, delightfully found this out yesterday during breakfast....ugh!

The best before is on the eggs somewhere. Has to be.

And rock spider is prison slang for a pedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Mellor wrote: »
    The best before is on the eggs somewhere. Has to be.

In Ireland they're printed on the egg, in Australia they're just on the box. It got annoying when I'd throw out the box and then forget so I've just started writing 'em on myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

When people say "sweet as"
    Is it an Aussie saying or a Kiwi saying?

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    When people say "sweet as"
    Is it an Aussie saying or a Kiwi saying?

both...

no dramas
    no worries
    too easy

Advertisement