Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

STIG83 wrote: »
    When people say "sweet as"
    Is it an Aussie saying or a Kiwi saying?

I'd have said Kiwi because

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

The Smoko !!!

What they call the morning tea break regardless if they smoke or not !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Woop woop - a rural place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

man1 wrote: »
    call bed linen manchester???

...and duvets are called doonas !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Woop woop - a rural place

That's a word i still use here in ireland and a friend came into work a while ago and said "i kmow where woop woop is now!" after hearing it in home & away:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kiwis say 'shot' all the time, do aussies?

Me: 'here's you beer'
    Kiwi: 'Shot'

as in thanks or yes or cool

First 5/8s for the number 10 in rugby is a term I just can't get used to either

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

man1 wrote: »
    call bed linen manchester???

This goes back .... way back .... when the UK was a major source of manufactured goods. The majority of fabric in Australia came from the mills in Manchester.

Back in the early 90's a mateof mine, with his elderly mother, was in a large department store. There was a call on the PA requesting that someone from Manchester come to the Service Desk. His mother took off like a rocket toward the Service Desk, he had to explain they wanted someone from the Manchester Dept and not a Manchester Resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Shorting words to end with 'O'
    Ambo
    Servo
    BottleO
    Arvo (though I have started to say this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

hussey wrote: »
    Shorting words to end with 'O'
    Ambo
    Servo
    BottleO
    Arvo (though I have started to say this)

Whats ambo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Whats ambo?

Ambulance.

• Advertisement

What's the reason lots of them go around in their bare feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Ambulance.
    Or a Paramedic

They're Bogans or sheilas with week feet.

At 5am on king st I have seen puddles of vomit, at 11.30pm that night some sheila will be standing in the same spot bare foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Try it and see. Driving barefoot is wierd at first but ya get used to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

My favourite. Stubbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

kiwi phrase: a unit = probably the closest Irish translation is a 'character '

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

s.c wrote: »
    My favourite. Stubbie.

as in small beer bottle?, that's used at home too for the little 250ml bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Stubbie = beer
    Stubbies = Short shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Claasman wrote: »
    kiwi phrase: a unit = probably the closest Irish translation is a 'character '

That was been used years ago (20 to 30 years ago) in Oz to describe a big bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

as in small beer bottle?, that's used at home too for the little 250ml bottles

No its just any bottle of beer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Not sure if it's been mentioned but i have met some Aussies who are convinced that Corona is brewed in Australia.

Sundy wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but i have met some Aussies who are convinced that Corona is brewed in Australia.

Some of them can be Fuk wits at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jacster

Mayonnaise is truly disgusting, it’s a pale transparent kind of white, like wallpaper paste, load in a jar.
    Coffee is amazing, the quality and taste is far superior to Celtic Tiger latte crap.
    Aussies have absolutely no manners when driving. They’re ultra aggressive and super dumb behind the wheel of a car. They have no conception of letting you out. At times when flashing to let someone out of a junction ahead of me they stare at me with a unintelligible mistrust and a look of “I don’t what to do!!”. The same people will actually accelerate to prevent you from exiting a junction and seem genuinely proud of their achievement, “Cut up another one Matey, too easy!”.
    The perversion of American culture into Aussie society is epidemic, still they need some I suppose, yoghurt joke anyone?

Jacster wrote: »
    They have no conception of letting you out. At times when flashing to let someone out of a junction ahead of me they stare at me with a unintelligible mistrust and a look of “I don’t what to do!!”. The same people will actually accelerate to prevent you from exiting a junction and seem genuinely proud of their achievement, “Cut up another one Matey, too easy!”.

As an aussie living in Ireland i need to step in as this is one of my biggest pet peeves about driving here (that and people just parking whereever they feel like). It is a junction with a stop sign for a reason. The person with the stop sign should stay there until it is clear to move. The person slowing down and flashing their lights telling the driver at the intersection to move out is actually a danger to the driver behind him, who would not be expecting him to slow down (or indeed stop) on a road where he has right of way. I know you have to be alert at all times and keep an appropriate distance, but the number of times i have almost driven into the back of a car doing this is not funny.

I disagree, its basic driver smarts.
    The fact that the driver right of way leaves a gap of a few yards, enough for another driver to pull out of a junction, is by no means enough to cause a jam of brakes and a near pile up. You need to check your exaggeration. Its a common courtesy. Ensuring that one car pulls out of a junction while the following driver drives on is enough to ensure a constant flow of traffic and prevents a jam, ie.built up of a joining road. Thats something which is endemic to Irish drivers. Its basic, self explanatory and common sense. Common sense seems to be something which needs to be mandated in Australia, which removes the common from it and replaces it with "Nanny state".
    I cant get over the number of times I arrive at a T-junction with absoluetly nothing contraflowing either side of it for half a mile only for the car on front of me to jam on the brakes to full stop, forcing me on the brakes to avoid his ass, just to pull away harmlessly onto the main road which he could have done in the first place. DUMB.....DUMB....dumb!!!!!
    Irish drivers have habit of putting themselves down but dont be fooled. We learn how to drive on roads the rest of the western world would be ashamed of. We develop a smartness, instintiveness and intuity that cant be rivalled. The average driving standard of an Irish driver far exceeds that of an Aussie driver. The incessant nannying of seed limits which change every mile despite no change in driving conditions causes massive brake pile ups on motorways which only increase driving danger rather than safeguarding against it is only one example. When you see a speed limit changing at every corner you drive through there is something wrong. The average driver must be educated to "read the road" You naturally slow down for a corner rather than depend on a sign to tell you to do so. This is the diffrence in driver education im talking about. Its about trusting individual responsibility and the system that qualified them rather than enforcing mass control for the dumb. To be sharper, this is about revenue collection and the rakes of money they make in bull**** fines. I am constantly distracted, unsafely so, by the myriad of changing limits, often by just 10Kph, but supported by speed cameras that it causes an unduly and unsafe distraction from the road and results, ironically, in unsafe driving practices. And before the trolls and greens (dicks) take over, I have no points here, nor did I have in Ireland, never ran into someone, only had people hit me.

And yes for everyone back home, dont be fooled by the likes of Gay Byrne and the Roads Committee, government backed and propagated as they are, we are exceptional drivers driving on exceptionally crap roads back home.
    Gay Byrne is just a puppet playing prat for the nostalgic public. The NRA would like to hoodwink you into believing its your fault rather than the roads. The fact that there is soo many more deaths on the roads here driving V8's and V6's vrs the four pot 1.4 and 1.6's back home is testamount the basic equation of engine size=engine power=engine death is a complete and utter fallacy and is only a dumbly mass propagated calculated cartel equation to protect and profit those who stand by it, keep baaing, pay your dues.

If it's basic drivers smarts then why don't we take out all the stop and give way signs? Surely there's no need for them then. I was taught that if you have to brake to avoid hitting someone turning (or vice versa) then you (they) shouldn't have turned. slowing down or stopping to let someone turn is exactly this. Not only that, you get crazy situations such as what happens on a very regular occurance at the entrance to my work which is a right hand turn for me. The road is wode enough for two cars travelling in a single direction, however it is single lane each way. People waiting to turn right, approaching car slows/stops to let them go, but the car behind the approaching car then moves to the left of that car to undertake the stopped car and nearly cleans up the car turning right.

Anyaway, that is all i am going to say, you have your opinion and i have mine and neither of us are going to change our minds!

Sundy wrote: »

Ive had the same discussion many many times with Paddys in both OZ and Ireland about Guinness Draught (in fact almost every drink in the DIAGEO stable i think) is made in OZ by CUB under license, they are convinced that it tastes so bad because it travels so far from Dublin to OZ, cant be told any different.
    Some of them can be Fuk wits at times.

Exactly my thoughts at the time, still my thoughts now :D

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/foreign-beers-home-brewed/2005/09/17/1126750168516.html

^^^ The beer issue

Yes I concur both Australians and the Irish can be **** wits. Nothing new there

Has anyone mentioned having a Pie and a Big M the morning after as opposed to a fry up. Thats odd but it works

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »

Has anyone mentioned having a Pie and a Big M the morning after as opposed to a fry up. Thats odd but it works

Might be a Victorian thing, Whats a Big M???
    Its not a Pie and a Big Mac is it.

Advertisement