Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Big M = Chocolate Milk/ Strawberry Milk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Nah dairy products after a big night out, that would not sit well with my stomach at all at all, a good feed of greasy garbage for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jacster wrote: »
    Irish drivers have habit of putting themselves down but dont be fooled. We learn how to drive on roads the rest of the western world would be ashamed of. We develop a smartness, instintiveness and intuity that cant be rivalled. The average driving standard of an Irish driver far exceeds that of an Aussie driver.

:pac::pac::pac:
    Scariest thing I've even done in my life is drive through Dublin when I went home after several months in NZ. Irish people are horrificly bad drivers with no concept of what's going on around them. Dunno bout the Aussies but NZers are more aggressive than at home but far more predictable and sensible on the roads.
    I never thought Ireland was that bad but going back to it after living somewhere else long term really showed me how awful they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Irish people are horrificly bad drivers with no concept of what's going on around them.

you obviously havnt been to Brazil or any other south american country so!

but i totally disagree with you

aussies are woeful drivers. i drove from adelaide to melbourne and i had more near misses in that 9 hours than i did in South America, and I include bolivias 'death road' in that!

EveAlex wrote: »
    I had more near misses in that 9 hours than i did in South America, and I include bolivias 'death road' in that!

+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Why, why, why do they not insulate the houses???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

sudzs wrote: »

I've asked many people, and i've never received a decent answer. No insulation, no double glazing, no central heating. Personally i reckon there's a view by many that insulation is for keeping heat in only, plus many of the houses are fairly old, and it costs money, and, i think, because the climate is predominantly warmer, a 'standard' of not using insulation is used even in cooler regions. It gets pretty baltic in Adelaide over the winter.. even though it rarely reaches zero, it bites at you. Compare that then to 30-40 degrees in summer.. insulation is a no brainer. And it absolutely bugs the crap out of me.

sudzs wrote: »

The houses are absolutely shit, Ireland had better quality in the 20's FFS. Even the highest standardly available level of insulation doesn't match Ireland's lowest.
    If you live north of Hamilton even new builds don't require double glazing.
    We're building a house because buying one is pointless they're all so shit.

I especially love how they jack the houses up, have no underfloor insulation and leave massive gaps in the foundation for winds to blow through and constantly keep houses cold.

The houses are absolutely shit, Ireland had better quality in the 20's FFS.

Almost worthy of "The Double Face Palm, when one face palm is not enough"

A 12' x 20' solid rubble built shack with 4 1' x .5' windows, that have either been left to rot, amalgamated to circumvent planning permission or being used to house your pet Donkey they were that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

In a lot of locations, there isn't much point in spending huge amounts on construction unless you go all out and make it cyclone, flood, fire and hailstorm proof. Hundreds of properties get trashed every year by such random acts of nature.

Australians are generally much less attached to their homes than in Ireland.
    In Ireland a house and a bit of land is a sort of life-goal, and a house has been gotten, its much more likely that you would try and buy a second one, instead of sell up and get a "better" one. I think this is a major factor. The number of self-builds is proportionally much lower too.

I can understand where this comes from tbh.
    It is however no excuse for the sh1thouse construction standards, totally inefficient designs and bizarre choices of materials made in many of the slightly older houses though.

• Advertisement

hah? I always thought, from both what i see and people i speak to, that aussies are very big on home ownership. are you separating the desire of home ownership from home attachment? I always felt that the quality of australian houses was the result of a psyche that aussies generally take what they're given, and have little imagination for something better. And yes, i realise this is a sweeping generalisation that doesn't apply to all. Just most!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It's bit of weird one

If you go to an older country town or older suburb, a Red brothel style lamp on the wall indicates that it's a Doctors surgery. But a flashing neon multi coloured sign usually indicates a brothel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

In Ireland a house and a bit of land is a sort of life-goal, and a house has been gotten, its much more likely that you would try and buy a second one, instead of sell up and get a "better" one.

I don't think this is right at all, unless I'm misinterpreting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

They seem to love torturing themselves by trying to turn right on to a busy road that has no traffic lights and sitting there with no body letting them in.

I always felt that the quality of australian houses was the result of a psyche that aussies generally take what they're given, and have little imagination for something better.

With 57.6% of Ireland living in Semi-Detached houses and thousands more of these "Houses" in the Joke Estates sitting vacant, all of them using the same plan, i think Imagination has been lacking in the Irish Construction Industry for decades, and yes i am in the construction industry in Ireland working full time trying to rectify the worst of them and maintain the better ones until someone can be talked into buying one, lucky me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1) Brothels on main streets - I seen a bouncer outside a brothel on king st Newtown a few months back, was he checking ID? Sorry lads not tonight

2) not sure if inner Sydney or all over, but the streets can have number of different bizarre house patterns. 2 story house, then a block of apartments, then a bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Hussey wrote:
    1) Brothels on main streets - I seen a bouncer outside a brothel on king st Newtown a few months back, was he checking ID? Sorry lads not tonight

This place?

Great investment opportunity if you fancy a change of career :D

The Aussie wrote: »
    A 12' x 20' solid rubble built shack with 4 1' x .5' windows, that have either been left to rot, amalgamated to circumvent planning permission or being used to house your pet Donkey they were that good.

that sums up a lot of NZ houses very well

dunno bout Aus but NZ now build the largest new build homes in the world, even outdoing the US on average. McMansion is no longer restricted to North America. Certainly makes it seem like they're attached to their homes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

dunno bout Aus but NZ now build the largest new build homes in the world, even outdoing the US on average. McMansion is no longer restricted to North America. Certainly makes it seem like they're attached to their homes

I'm not arguing that people that have worked hard to earn their money are building themselves nice new homes.
    What I was saying is that several generations were quite content to live in a clapped out old Queenslander IMG_6103_1.JPG

As I said "slightly older houses"

There are also plenty of small size low quality homes being built in recent years.

• Advertisement

Tin roof and all :D

that sums up a lot of NZ houses very well

I thought you Kiwis had your own forum now, did everyone pack up and move to Oz, again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

^ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bus drivers are extremely polite and will wait for you at a bus stop.

Very very weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Thats because they need the fares who rides the bus here???

The Aussie wrote: »
    I thought you Kiwis had your own forum now, did everyone pack up and move to Oz, again. :D

yeah but thi thread is still worth visiting, the rest, well.....

Xavi6 wrote: »

Very very weird.

is that a WA thing? because in Adelaide they like to drive past people waiting, and then stop at empty bus stops for 5-10 minutes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Xavi6 wrote: »

Very very weird.

Noticed that myself on my route - the drivers frequently pull over to let someone on even if they haven't made it to the stop but are obviously running to try and make it.

Our driver this morning even ended the journey with 'last stop everyone - have a really great Monday, and I hope its the start of a great week.' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

just reading there on the way they construct their homes, without insulation and double glazing those homes must cost alot to run,
    they must have the air conditioning on all the time in the hot months, as my understanding of insulation is, it is easy to keep a home warm in winter, and it stays cooler indoors during hot weather, thus saving on leccy, not having to have the air conditioner on all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Eating the heart attack on a plate that is Chicken Parma as part of the counter meal culinary experience

Advertisement