Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish league

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

djpbarry wrote: »
    To be fair, the Scottish league’s UEFA ranking has plummeted over the last few years, to the extent that they’re close to losing one of their two places in the Champions League.

It's gone for next season. This is the last CL there are 2 spots available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

And there was only 1 UCL spot last season aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Ah, I was unawares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

So, Celtics current squad is c'ship level? Cant really argue with you there, but so what??? And what will replavce the spl may i ask you?

The current 1st division will replace it and if Celtic had any sense they will be doing their upmost to see if they can get a place in the EPL which i dont think will happen in a million years but Celtic will not progress playing in a league where they are going to win it hands down every year. Even when Rangers get back to the same division as Celtic, Celtic will still be way ahead of them as it will take Rangers a good few years to recover from they mess they've got themselves into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

could Rangers not have applied to the lower leagues in england instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No

Mushy wrote: »
    No

why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

batistuta9 wrote: »
    why not?

Something gotta do with there being an active league setup in their home country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

could Rangers not have applied to the lower leagues in england instead?

No , not as such

However they did try to buy an English club to allow them to do this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/9346342/Rangers-proposed-purchase-of-Bury-roundly-rejected-by-the-League-One-club.html

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Something gotta do with there being an active league setup in their home country.

then how were the old firm ever going to get to the EPL or Championship then if that's the case? had they been accepted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

then how were the old firm ever going to get to the EPL or Championship then if that's the case? had they been accepted.

Only on the basis of a special exception, but there's no hope of that.

Only viable option would be to leave and start some sort of pan-European league with the likes of Celtic and top Dutch, Nordic, Swiss, Austrian etc. sides in it. It would definitely be worth something in terms of TV deals and sponsorships as the quality would be good, but of course there's a number of challenges to such a setup, not least fan reaction and how it would fit in to other European competitions like the CL and Europa League.

Other than that, the only possibility of a Scottish side playing in the English leagues would be the suggestion above i.e. buy a lower tier side. But then it's not a Scottish side as neither Ibrox nor Parkhead could be used for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That's St Johnstone (2-0 down), Motherwell (Panathinaikos) and Dundee Utd (Dinamo Moscow) out of Europe at the first try ;)

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That's St Johnstone (2-0 down), Motherwell (Panathinaikos) and Dundee Utd (Dinamo Moscow) out of Europe at the first try ;)

You and your club arent in a position to be mocking anyone :rolleyes:

Last season Celtic did fairly well in the Europa League, were it not for a terrible penalty call in the dying minutes for Udinese Celtic would have finished 2nd in the group stages, the only team to beat Celtic in that group was the eventual winner of the competition Atletico Madrid. How you consider that to be **** seems odd, especially when it is pointed out that Celtic was drawn in the toughest group in the competition as it had two 3rd seed teams and no 4th seed.

Scottish teams have not excelled in Europe over the last few years with the notable exception of Rangers getting to the UEFA final and Celtic haven't achieved much since Strachan left but it requires a very short memory for someone to say that every year Scottish teams prove themselves to be ****.

Not getting out of the group stage in the EL is shít enough in fairness & celtic's away record in europe has been terrible too, maybe the teams Jelle1880 posted below will prove otherwise though.

With UEFA changing the coefficents to a 3 year period instead of 5 the Scottish teams are fúcked,

for this seasons competitions Scotland are 15th in the coefficents based on the 10/11 season.
    for the 13/14 season they're ranked 18th based on the 11/12 season meaning 1 CL place
    in the latest ranking released they're 27th - must be for another reason than Scottish clubs doing shít in europe though, right? but they still have all 5 of the teams in europe to change this, we shall see

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2013.html

I can find nothing on UEFA changing to a 3 year coefficient for the 13/14 season, link please.

Not getting out of a EL group with no 4th seed and the eventual winners of the competition is not "shít enough".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Dempsey wrote: »
    I can find nothing on UEFA changing to a 3 year coefficient for the 13/14 season....
    Yeah, that's news to me. Seems like it would be a fairly major overall and would result in a lot of fluctuations in the rankings.

I'll mock whoever I feel like thank you very much.

I'll mock whoever I feel like thank you very much.

Rangers couldnt beat Malmo or Maribor last year with a team built on years of cheating but you are slagging smaller Scottish clubs for drawing the likes of Panathinaikos and Dinamo Moscow? Ye wouldnt have beaten either of those clubs. They would be tough test for most sides in Europe. As for the new club that you support, good luck in getting a licence to play in Division 3, you actually need it :pac:

So Rangers went out of Europe last year means I can't laugh at other clubs ?

In that case I think Celtic fans should be the last to mock us for being beaten by Malmo and Maribor, given their 'European runs' of the last years.

So Rangers went out of Europe last year means I can't laugh at other clubs ?

In that case I think Celtic fans should be the last to mock us for being beaten by Malmo and Maribor, given their 'European runs' of the last years.

You can mock away but you look stupid doing so.

Rangers cheated Celtic and other Scottish clubs out of millions, who knows how we would have faired if we didnt have to play against cheats so often.

• Advertisement

Lol, yes it's our fault Cha Du Ri kicked the ball in his own net :pac:

Just like your abysmal CL away results are our fault. :D

I can find nothing on UEFA changing to a 3 year coefficient for the 13/14 season, link please.

Not getting out of a EL group with no 4th seed and the eventual winners of the competition is not "shít enough".
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Yeah, that's news to me. Seems like it would be a fairly major overall and would result in a lot of fluctuations in the rankings.

a mistake, it was something i didn't read properly the first time from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Champions_League#Association_team_allocation the note in it,
    NOTE: Regulations for the 3-year UEFA competition cycle beginning in the 2012–13 season have been approved by UEFA. The access list below is based on the regulations for the 2012–13 season,[2] which is unchanged from the 2011–12 season.

Lol, yes it's our fault Cha Du Ri kicked the ball in his own net :pac:

Just like your abysmal CL away results are our fault. :D

Maybe if we werent cheated out of millions, we wouldn't have even signed Cha Du Ri. We would have a higher calibre of player in the squad if you take into account the amount of money Celtic lost out in the last 5 years alone due to Rangers cheating. You do understand the idea of knock on effects to cheating?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ahh leave him alone.... the wee diddy Div 3 teams often slag off the teams that are bigger than them (like Motherwell, St. Johnstone etc.)! ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Ahh leave him alone.... the wee diddy Div 3 teams often slag off the teams that are bigger than them (like Motherwell, St. Johnstone etc.)! ;)

They arent even in Div3 yet, they are still trying to spoof their way to a SFA licence!

Only in Glasgow would you have 2 diddy teams in div3 with 50k+ stadiums

Maybe if we werent cheated out of millions, we wouldn't have even signed Cha Du Ri. We would have a higher calibre of player in the squad if you take into account the amount of money Celtic lost out in the last 5 years alone due to Rangers cheating. You do understand the idea of knock on effects to cheating?

I do, but you're just being pathetic.

I'll give it a few days and you'll blame us for every game that Celtic ****ed up in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

1/33 is about 3%. Savings accounts offer better rates than that!

I do, but you're just being pathetic.

I'll give it a few days and you'll blame us for every game that Celtic ****ed up in history.

Its just the reality of cheating. Rangers cheating screwed alot of people in the last 12+ years, not just Celtic. Maybe you'd like to play it down or brush that all under the carpet or pretend it never happened but thats just typical of you tbh

As expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

As expected.

Yup we cheated them when Scott MacDonald scored two goal in the last minute so that the helicopter changed direction We also cheated them when they bottled it with three games to go and blew it.
    And we cheated them when I the two years these so called illegal payments were the most the club paid out and they won the league

There was no cheating where it counts on the park

• Advertisement

As expected.
    Yup we cheated them when Scott MacDonald scored two goal in the last minute so that the helicopter changed direction We also cheated them when they bottled it with three games to go and blew it.
    And we cheated them when I the two years these so called illegal payments were the most the club paid out and they won the league

Why are you trying to make this about Celtic, this is about Rangers and their cheating and the effect it had on everything.

The two of ye can act fair thick at times, you really think that the type of cheating we are talking about only effected the high profile deciders at the end of seasons? Haha

Every match a illegal player was involved in is tainted, every trophy where a illegal player played a part is tainted. We are talking cheating on the scale of tens of millions of sterling over a very long period of time. Its highly likely that Rangers wouldnt have amassed the points totals or go as far as ye did in cup competitions because they wouldn't have a strong a squad as they did in those seasons. They wouldnt have been able to accumulate the players that they did, they wouldnt have been able to hold onto others. So the points about end of season matches that dont involve Rangers is irrelevant. Ye cant even get your heads around what your club did to Scottish Football!

As for the bolded, were you drunk when you typed that shíte?

As expected.

Why are you trying to make this about Celtic, this is about Rangers and their cheating and the effect it had on everything.

The two of ye can act fair thick at times, you really think that the type of cheating we are talking about only effected the high profile deciders at the end of seasons? Haha

Every match a illegal player was involved in is tainted, every trophy where a illegal player played a part is tainted. We are talking cheating on the scale of tens of millions of sterling over a very long period of time. Its highly likely that Rangers wouldnt have amassed the points totals or go as far as ye did in cup competitions because they wouldn't have a strong a squad as they did in those seasons. They wouldnt have been able to accumulate the players that they did, they wouldnt have been able to hold onto others. So the points about end of season matches that dont involve Rangers is irrelevant. Ye cant even get your heads around what your club did to Scottish Football!

As for the bolded, were you drunk when you typed that shíte?

Nah most certainly not and don't give me crap about turning it into a Rangers Celtic thing because that is really what it is we paid players and it was shown in our accounts every year what we paid the SFA passed them every year.

So I will say it again there was no cheating on the park
    But as Lawells puppet wants his pound of flesh we will lose certain trophies so be it

Nah most certainly not and don't give me crap about turning it into a Rangers Celtic thing because that is really what it is we paid players and it was shown in our accounts every year what we paid the SFA passed them every year.

But as Lawells puppet wants his pound of flesh we will lose certain trophies so be it

Oh so its the SFA fault for not catching ye more so than what Rangers did? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Having the players on the field that had hidden dual contracts was clearly cheating. Using money gain through this tax evasion to buy and pay players was unethical, immoral and ye will be charged again for bringing the game into disrepute, your second charge for unpaid taxes, when the BTC verdict is released.

Sounds very much like you havent gotten your head around this or you are downplaying what Rangers did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

when the BTC verdict is released.

Where has that disappeared? I was expecting the verdict to be out well before the end of last season. Has anyone suggested a reason for the delay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bullshít.

every player who's tax wasn't paid, every game, every goal, every fixture, every trophy, every loss, every draw that Rangers took part in is tainted.

the club cheated.

the club cheated in every aspect of it's being, on the pitch off the pitch on the touchline in the stands.

To not acknowledge this is a travesty for the fans, and to me, says that you'd be happy for it to continue or to happen again.

It was financial doping. Those players who were "paid" shouldn't have been at the club, you couldn't afford them so broke the law to keep them.

Talk about bull****.

The money Rangers paid those players would have still been available anyway, it's the players who benefited from it by having to pay less tax on it.

edit:

Chris McLaughlin ‏@BBCchrismclaug
    The #SPL are due to pay #SFL their annual £2m settlement fee but say they can't pay unless tv deal is signed. More soon #BBCSport online.

LOL

I firmly believe, for the sake of sporting integrity, that Rangers as an SFL club should pursue the SPL for pay up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Talk about bull****.

The money Rangers paid those players would have still been available anyway, it's the players who benefited from it by having to pay less tax on it.

edit:

Chris McLaughlin ‏@BBCchrismclaug
    The #SPL are due to pay #SFL their annual £2m settlement fee but say they can't pay unless tv deal is signed. More soon #BBCSport online.

LOL

I firmly believe, for the sake of sporting integrity, that Rangers as an SFL club should pursue the SPL for pay up.

If your attempts to defend the indefensible are anything to go by in relation to views of fans of Rangers in general then I'm glad that the club formerly known as Rangers have been put through the mill for their disgraceful behaviour.

No punishment is too much for them in my view. They have brought disgrace and shame to the reputation of their former club and to Scottish football as a whole. The least they and their fans can do now is take their punishment with a bit of dignity.

Not surprising that you feel that way :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

thebaz wrote: »
    Celtic are 1/33 to win the Scottish premier league - next up are Dundee Utd. at 25/1

if the odds are anyway accurate , should Celtic just be presented with league before a ball is kicked ?

seriously though, is the league in its current format, sustainable ?

its a joke of a league..

• Advertisement

I don't think I'm on my own in that view, the reputation of the club formerly known as Rangers is dirt in the eyes of the whole of European football. It's sack cloth and ashes for Scotland's Shame.

Bollocks, outside of Scotland there's very few people either interested or even knowledgeable about it.

I don't think I'm on my own in that view, the reputation of the club formerly known as Rangers is dirt in the eyes of the whole of European football. It's sack cloth and ashes for Scotland's Shame.

Ah yes Scotland's shame while Rangefs may have cheated there's only one club can take that title and it's not Rangers or are you another one in denial

Ah yes Scotland's shame while Rangefs may have cheated there's only one club can take that title and it's not Rangers or are you another one in denial

What are you blathering about. You are going to bring up that again are you, is there is no depth that you will sink to to defend the indefensible? Everyone knows which club is regarded as Scotland's Shame the club formerly known as Rangers.

I think what BBE is going on about it, and I'm just going out on a limb here, is a club who has covered up systematic child abuse in it's youth ranks.

But that's just my guess.

What are you blathering about. You are going to bring up that again are you, is there is no depth that you will sink to to defend the indefensible? Everyone knows which club is regarded as Scotland's Shame the club formerly known as Rangers.

Indefensible yeah if we are guilty yes but no where as shameful as your history and denial if you want to keep up with the Scotland's shame crap don't expect me to forget who has the real shame within there club
    Or are you going to deny it

• Advertisement

Indefensible yeah if we are guilty yes but no where as shameful as your history and denial if you want to keep up with the Scotland's shame crap don't expect me to forget who has the real shame within there club

To drag up that episode in relation to this just shows how pathetic and desperate you have become

To drag up that episode in relation to this just shows how pathetic and desperate you have become

I am not dragging it up in relation to this I am making it clear as long as you continue with the pathetic "Scotlands Shame" tag I will remind you of your own clubs shame if you can't discuss what's happening without the use of the term that's your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

oldyouth wrote: »
    SPL has been an uncompetitive league for many years, with Celtic & Rangers taking it in turns to win it. I never understand why so many Irish people follow it.
    (no, I don't require a history lesson)

I see where you're coming from, but in proportional terms it's actually better than the EPL in a competitive sense.

I mean, are there really more than four clubs in the EPL who can realistically win the title?

I am not dragging it up in relation to this I am making it clear as long as you continue with the pathetic "Scotlands Shame" tag I will remind you of your own clubs shame if you can't discuss what's happening without the use of the term that's your problem

The club formerly known as Rangers have brought shame to the reputation of Scottish football, no diversionary comments from you will change that.

The irony is strong in this one.

Non stop calling us Scotland's Shame but when a disgraceful episode from your own club is brought up it's 'pathetic'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement