Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving daily in city of Dublin

• 16-07-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

omg whats wrong with people nowadays?

nobody respect the bloody rulez...

"L" drivers on motorway (m1) driving 30mil/h in overtaking lane,

taxi muppets not using indicators at all - why? because they dont need them. parking/stoping everywhere and then looking at you like its your fold or something. I really cant stand them at all.

Buses driving in the middle of the Road - like the kings - its just like a big jungle.

Cars with NIE reg are like from dif world totaly, not even worth to mention them.

also Like 40% of the cars driving in the night has damaged, broken or no lights at all.

its drive me crazy sometimes - being on the road 7 days a week and watching that happend, thats just not right.

today i was like 5cm away from getting hit by taxi driver - who was talking to phone - also having a customer in his car at the same time - he just blocked me trying to over take him - without indicators on double line road he left his bus lane in order to block me - without reason - and then when i over took him and on traffic light i asked him why did he do it, he said because he saw me coming and he wanted make sure i am not racing because this is not track or racing circuit. I wanted broke his nose. i swear to god if i see him again without customer i will do so.

people be safe out there and always watch out for monkeys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You forgot to mention cyclists who think a red light means "GO" to them.

And also motorbike courriers who dont think they dont need mirrors or indicators on their bikes and can just cut off every other road user too.

Ah yes..the joys of living in Dublin City and its surburbs allright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

paddy147 wrote: »
    You forgot to mention cyclists who think a red light means "GO" to them.

And also motorbike courriers who dont think they dont need mirrors or indicators on their bikes and can just cut off every other road user too.

Ah yes..the joys of living in Dublin City and its surburbs allright.

yeh +1 for the cyclist ---> red = go --->yeh thanks for reminder. i dont live in cc - i only work there so i have to travel each day.

not my video but amazing work...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Pedestrians have a death wish, had a kid run out in front of me last week there. Was standing in the middle of the road with his Mum, and decided to dart across.

Gave me and his mother a heart attack.

All the safe cross code, all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've had the mis fortune of having to be in Dublin for the last four weeks.

Ive said it here before, bikers who drive daily in large towns and cities are brave folk.

Got rear ended last week for my troubles too. Drivers excuse "I thought you'd gone"...... Eh nope I had not.

I dont filter through traffic, I don't us bus lanes and I don't race around. For me it does not feel safe but to see other bikers do it, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Sadly, this type of driving is not just confined to Dublin and is present across Ireland.

Re: the video - I wonder how many accidents have occurred at that set of traffic lights where people kept braking the lights coming from the right of the screen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Bikerguy wrote: »
    yeh +1 for the cyclist ---> red = go --->yeh thanks for reminder. i dont live in cc - i only work there so i have to travel each day.
    Pedestrians have a death wish, had a kid run out in front of me last week there. Was standing in the middle of the road with his Mum, and decided to dart across.

Lorries, Buses, cages (cars), bikers, taxi's, pedestrians - none of them have a patch on cyclists, none. I used to be a taxi man and I can tell you that 100%. As bikerguy says, cyclists like to think red means go and none of the rules of the road apply to them. At least once a month I would have an incident ( luckily or should I say thanks to my alertness) where a cyclist would do something f**king stupid whether it was breaking a light or coming out of a side street not looking etc which could have been a serious accident. And the thing about cyclists is, when you break hard or swerve to avoid them, they shout " you should have been looking where you were going " or something as if their is some rule that they are above the rules of the road and must be accommodated at all times :mad:

Unreal some of the things I have experienced with cyclists, unreal.

I've had the mis fortune of having to be in Dublin for the last four weeks.

Ive said it here before, bikers who drive daily in large towns and cities are brave folk.

Got rear ended last week for my troubles too. Drivers excuse "I thought you'd gone"...... Eh nope I had not.

I dont filter through traffic, I don't us bus lanes and I don't race around. For me it does not feel safe but to see other bikers do it, fair play.

mate forgive me but why are you driving bike? just to get wet? filter through traffic and use bus lane and give it a bit push when needed. with brain involved. thats the privilage you earning while on bike.

yeh i can imagine.. it happend to me once going of M1 passing whitehall traffic lights in heavy rain, when 2 people decided to cross the road ignoring me... i though i am down with them... lucky me and pilot 3 tyres saved the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Bikerguy wrote: »
    mate forgive me but why are you driving bike? just to get wet? filter through traffic and use bus lane and give it a bit push when needed. with brain involved. thats the privilage you earning while on bike.

You are forgiven.

Because when I'm in the big smoke, I ain't in a hurry, if that's ok with you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Sadly, this type of driving is not just confined to Dublin and is present across Ireland.

Re: the video - I wonder how many accidents have occurred at that set of traffic lights where people kept braking the lights coming from the right of the screen?

I think thats palmerstown. Ill actually pass that road daily. Im doing my first commute to work later today:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Was in dublin the other week and yeah traffic is chaotic taxis seem to be the worst offenders for cutting in and out of lanes last minute..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's on the N4 at Palmerstown, the first junction you meet after you leave the M50 inbound to the city. All of the shots in the video are of the eastbound direction, the cars coming from the right are coming from Palmerstown.

It's actually been like that for years, I used to go through that junction every day and the same thing - 4 or 5 cars would ignore the amber/red and chase through behind the guy in front. The problem is somewhat twofold - heavy traffic coming from a single-lane road so people are queuing for ages and so try to rush through the lights. This has been going on for so long now that it's a culture - you're practically expected to break these lights because that's what everyone does.

I'm not sure why they never made an over/underpass out of the junction. It was a massive bottleneck for years.

The taxi rank along side the Luas stop at Connelly Station is a really bad place where taximen keep on doing unsafe/illegal U-Turns accross a continous white line to head back out of town towards the north strand.

One of these days a taxi man or taxi woman is going to cause a very serious and possibly fatal crash with these highly illegal U-Turns.

If a garda stood on the opposite side of the road to the taxi rank,then he would have an absolute field day pulling taxis and fining them for dangerous/unsafe driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

A car barged into my lane this morning, no indication, nothing of sorts - traffic ahead of him slowed and he decided to move into mine just like that - lucky for me, I was literally crawling as I had another minor incident in that area last week - and then I see, he was on phone too.

We can curse these muppets as much as we want, but nothing is going to make any difference. We just have to ride even more defensively, if that's even possible! Expect the unexpected, and yes, they are all out there to get us!

I have to say that some of the worst bike riding I have seen in Dublin City comes from certain traffic corp gardai on their motorbikes.

Shocking riding and road positioning indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I have to say that some of the worst bike riding I have seen in Dublin City comes from certain traffic corp gardai on their motorbikes.

Shocking riding and road positioning indeed.

Think that's a bit unfair. They don't ride defensively like we are all taught how to. Their goal is to get from A to B ASAP. That needs a different, more aggressive riding style. They are great riders IMO. Most of us would be dead if we tried to ride like they do!

Think that's a bit unfair. They don't ride defensively like we are all taught how to. Their goal is to get from A to B ASAP. That needs a different, more aggressive riding style. They are great riders IMO. Most of us would be dead if we tried to ride like they do!

Im talking about the odd few here and not all of them.

Im also talking about when they are not on call or going to an emergency.

Im talking about being a normal biker/road user,when theres no flashing blue lights or siren on

Some shockingly arrogant and ignorant riding and road positioning in relation to every other road user...(as if they are above the law themselves and own the road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Add a few bikers to the list too, usually young fellas on smaller bikes. Across junctions before the light has changed.

Traffic police are a waste of space, the amount of times I've seen them actually drive around cars that are stopped and blocking lanes on a yellow box, ignoring people on mobiles is unreal. You can guarantee in Dublin you won't be pulled for any traffic offence if it's raining. There'll never be a speed trap, bus lane checks, tax checks if it's raining.

The taxi rank along side the Luas stop at Connelly Station is a really bad place where taximen keep on doing unsafe/illegal U-Turns accross a continous white line to head back out of town towards the north strand.

One of these days a taxi man or taxi woman is going to cause a very serious and possibly fatal crash with these highly illegal U-Turns.

If a garda stood on the opposite side of the road to the taxi rank,then he would have an absolute field day pulling taxis and fining them for dangerous/unsafe driving.

i believe gards are aware of that issue but they wont fine the drivers.. simple warning will do the job.. believe me and no difference will take place.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Add a few bikers to the list too, usually young fellas on smaller bikes. Across junctions before the light has changed.

Traffic police are a waste of space, the amount of times I've seen them actually drive around cars that are stopped and blocking lanes on a yellow box, ignoring people on mobiles is unreal. You can guarantee in Dublin you won't be pulled for any traffic offence if it's raining. There'll never be a speed trap, bus lane checks, tax checks if it's raining.

+1

u forget to mention that the rain is here 365 days in year. gards have more important things to do mate then pulling people for mobile ... its funny because i was in austria few months a go and even simple crossing the road as pedestrian on red light will produce u nice 50e charge with no excuse! no indicator is 15e with warning and note next time its up to 150e. and u know what? people are respecting the rulez! 95% of drivers use indicators everytime going through roundabout and 99% when changing lane-direction or when overtaking.

but all i care is the game in here, just a bit of respect for my life. i dont wanna get hurt by some muppet driving bigger car with small d.ck... thats the point here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Ive noticed alot of threads recently bandying about how bad irish drivers are and how bad Irish people are at following the rules of the road , and how different countries are SO MUCH BETTER, than Ireland is.

Very simple, for those of you with these words and thoughts, why not go and live in these countries. Things would be very easily solved. But for those select few of you here IF you did move you can be guaranteed the other states wouldnt pay social payment and housing assistance for you to complain about there country and its people. So please remember this fact before you slate the country you reside in ...Theres no such thing as a free ride....

Safe Bikin all

Irish and Proud

war_child wrote: »
    Ive noticed alot of threads recently bandying about how bad irish drivers are and how bad Irish people are at following the rules of the rBut for those select few of you here IF you did move you can be guaranteed the other states wouldnt pay social payment and housing assistance for you to complain about there country and its people. So please remember this fact before you slate the country you reside in ...Theres no such thing as a free ride....

Safe Bikin all

Irish and Proud

ups mr. proud high belt stated his rights... wake up dude, its democracy, this aint complain about ireland but about traffic behavior. you are in wrong topic here, if u wanna go further with conversation about social payments and forein people send me pm with your adress and i will visit you in no time!

Ed - proud resident of ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

war_child wrote: »
    Ive noticed alot of threads recently bandying about how bad irish drivers are and how bad Irish people are at following the rules of the road , and how different countries are SO MUCH BETTER, than Ireland is.

Very simple, for those of you with these words and thoughts, why not go and live in these countries. Things would be very easily solved. But for those select few of you here IF you did move you can be guaranteed the other states wouldnt pay social payment and housing assistance for you to complain about there country and its people. So please remember this fact before you slate the country you reside in ...Theres no such thing as a free ride....

Safe Bikin all

Irish and Proud

Congratulations on the stupidest post on the internet!
    Move country cos of a few bad drivers? What the hell has "social payment and housing assistance" got to do with this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

If you actually read the post you will see that it is not a stupid post paparazzo , its in relation to saying this person cut me off this pedestrian ran across the road , this cyclist this that the other ,but i have noticed from the typing certain individuals have extremly broken english indicating not fromthis country.

and as regards to social payments i simply stated that if you were to go to these OTHER COUNTRIES were everything is sooooooo much better , would they pay your social????????? , and biker dont go threatening me pal , and asking for my address and offering to come up to me is a threat , if you cant converse without threatening you will be reported simple.

This is an open forum with every person entitled to their own individual opinion and if ya cant accept that yet ANOTHER reason to piss off.

Irish and Proud

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement