Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Hoard Anything ?

• 16-07-2012 12:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

I cannot throw out any computer stuff, leads,mice, old computers etc but I can go into Easons and buy a few books, read them and give them to friends/ charity shops etc. I even have 2 56k modems ( That I might need someday ! ) I have the garage stuffed with obselete pc stuff but can happily bin tv's cd players etc but pc stuff..No.
    Do you hoard anything ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Books. My mum is always on at me to give the ones I have at home to a charity shop, but I want to keep them. I like having all of them :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The bodies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I throw out loads of computer stuff but I hoard quite a bit of it too. I found a small tube of arctic silver thermal compound this morning, it made my day. I'm going to use it for a copper plate mod for my dell tomorrow. Saved me like 200 czk(8 Euro). Plus you can't buy thermal compound on a Sunday here

Aside from computer parts, I hoard spices. They never go off(ignore the best before!). The job of a spice, or herb, is to taste or smell nice. While they continue to do so. I keep 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I have the most of my baby teeth in a plastic box.
    I have all birthday cards from dating back to when I was 7. I never throw any out.
    I've also got every years homework journal book still.
    I also have an old phone with texts to my cousin who has passed away saved.
    I also had saved messages from an ex before I lost my phone. :o

Jesus, I never realised I hoarded so much stuff until I though about it now. I'm sure there's other things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Resistors. Can't throw away a perfectly good resistor. Before I bring something to the dump I'll desolder anything that might be of use and doesn't take too much effort

I have the most of my baby teeth in a plastic box.

Put them under your pillow, and go car shopping tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Only things that cost money, ironically the only useless thing people hoard (money).

eth0 wrote: »
    Resistors. Can't throw away a perfectly good resistor. Before I bring something to the dump I'll desolder anything that might be of use and doesn't take too much effort

I've done that too. It sounds mad, but I have built stuff from de-soldered components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

not just anything, everything:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've a huge collection of Roy of the Rovers magazines, maybe over 300 hundred. Well it's big to me, ROTR was going for decades

All from the early 80's and some late 70's

Probably worth feck all
    But I'm keeping them, maybe one day they'll be worth something

Or maybe when I'm old and crippled I'll dig them out and read about Melchester Rovers, Hotshot Hamish and other stories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I keep a lot of stuff that were important to me, even if they aren't anymore I'll still keep them because they once were, and will still bring me back to a time or place. Same reason I get tattoos lol

My mum is awful for it, my eldest brother is hitting 40, have other siblings older than me and she has nearly every toy we've ever had. The attic is full with ancient toys, she'd make a mint on the star wars ones never even opened, or care bears!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I've got a huge box full of Celtic match programmes and posters, theres enough posters to entirely cover my room:p

she'd make a mint on the star wars ones never even opened, or care bears!!

Address please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Time taken to unsolder * what your time is worth < cost of a resistor?

I hoard old computers, particularly laptops. Love finding interesting uses for them though and Linux makes the possibilities almost endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No, not really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Books. My mum is always on at me to give the ones I have at home to a charity shop, but I want to keep them. I like having all of them :o
    Probably a comfort thing or something

• Advertisement

humbert wrote: »
    Time taken to unsolder * what your time is worth < cost of a resistor?

You live in Dublin obviously, so a quick bus trip to Peats to get the resistor you want. Live in Galway county, 30 miles from the city itself. Drive or get the bus into the city(between 2 and 8 euros), ask Maplins, do they have said resistor? Not in stock, "try our website". A week later you might get what you want.

Sheldon ? Is that you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Maplin.. walk in the door and there is already a tenner missing from your pocket so not cheaper

Most of my collection i found on the floor in collitch. If you have scrap thrown about its usually less trouble than ordering. Also the wire wound ones they use for measuring current are not that cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Clothes, any kind of garment. Even ones that don't fit anymore I keep them. My fella asked me to go through them for the clothing bank and I literally couldn't do it. I always say they'll fit me again or I'll wear them soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Make up. If I buy something in the wrong shade or that just doesn't work for me, I can't throw it out. I have about 4 bags full of products I have never and will never use, but I keep them, "just in case".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

remember the minimalist craze, where everything went out the window bar the kitchen sink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no, im a hoor for neatness and unclutter, i was to a degree years ago though. my father in law is notorious though, he is like one of them off that hoarding program on the telly

four18 wrote: »
    Sheldon ? Is that you ?

Wha? As in Sheldon Sheldon?

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Make up. If I buy something in the wrong shade or that just doesn't work for me, I can't throw it out. I have about 4 bags full of products I have never and will never use, but I keep them, "just in case".

''Just in case'' really justifies all sins ! !:D

• Advertisement

Wha? As in Sheldon Sheldon?
    Yep ! Its him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

i prefer inductors myself.

four18 wrote: »
    ''Just in case'' really justifies all sins ! !:D

How is it a sin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Dont hoard much myself,

just hoardings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

syklops wrote: »
    You live in Dublin obviously, so a quick bus trip to Peats to get the resistor you want. Live in Galway county, 30 miles from the city itself. Drive or get the bus into the city(between 2 and 8 euros), ask Maplins, do they have said resistor? Not in stock, "try our website". A week later you might get what you want.

Nope, not Dublin. Were I live makes Galway look like the centre of the universe.

I order them on ebay from China and wait! (or the UK if it's urgent, you'll have it in 2/3 days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

After eight years at an all girls boarding school where everyone else was always underprepared, I hoard tampons, hair conditioner, plasters, paracetamol and batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If i can afford it (or come across it) i hoard anything weapon related. I have about 12 plastic BB guns, 2 electric ones, a sniper BB, and a large collection of swords/knives etc. I want, and i mean really really want, a full fitting genuine set of Samurai armor. But i don't have €26,000 spare... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Dragon bone. I'm not even a smith ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hookers. Have 8 of them in the basement now!

I'm bad enough for holding onto useless stuff I have to say.

I have years of losing betting dockets kept.
    Nearly every race card for everyday of the last 10 years of the galway races.
    I keep a lot of receipts.
    My wallet is always full of useless stuff, old bank cards (even ones that are cut in half), free passes for clubs a year out of date, old student cards etc etc.
    Only for my mothers gets rid of them Id never get rid of old clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Two buckets of toe nail clippers and an ol' black plastic bag of belly button fluff.
    Sure ya never know when it might come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

All I hoard these days is a large amount of self-loathing and disgust...

Seriously though, nothing apart from a trunk full of football programmes.

Free your mind! Use it or lose it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Books and video games. Even if I don't like it, I keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Thing I hoard:
    Comics.
    Books.
    CD's.
    Free t-shirts you get when you finish a run / race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Dragon bone. I'm not even a smith ffs.

Just keep buying steel and leather strips and making steel daggers! You'll level up really fast and your smithing will ramp up!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I hoard shítloads. Never throw anything even vaguely useful out and my definition of "useful" is terribly vague at the very best of times.
    I want, and i mean really really want, a full fitting genuine set of Samurai armor. But i don't have €26,000 spare... :-(
    Me, I'd go for a full bespoke set of knightly European armour myself. With a broadsword. Up against a fully kitted up samurai's bamboo stuff? Game over Potential-Monke San. I'd just stand there, have a fag, check my texts while you tired yourself out going all Bushido on my arse to little effect. Hell I'd just have to pass out on top of you to ruin your day. Which I likely would given the bloody weight of the thing. :D In fairness the Edo period stuff is the sexeh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A little. I have old computer parts sitting around - I'd dump them only I figure they'd be of use to someone so I intend to give them away at some point. I most likely won't keep them.

I've also a small amount of railway paraphernalia - the biggest one being the brake lever cover from an Irish Rail diesel locomotive which was removed from the loco before it was scrapped. The cover dates from the 1960s and has the old CIE "flying snail" logo on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I used to have a massive collection of Commando Comics, some dating back as far as 1964 (in great condition too), then I went to University, came home one weekend to find them all gone after a parental clearout of 'junk'... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Zombies,

Nearly have enough for a second horde now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I used to have a massive collection of Commando Comics, some dating back as far as 1964 (in great condition too), then I went to University, came home one weekend to find them all gone after a parental clearout of 'junk'... :(
    Man that takes me back R and meet your twin, though I shouted "banzai!" and "Gott in himmel!" before they were thrown out. :) So I still have a few laying around. One title I remember well was "The silver spitfire". IIRC it ended up being unpainted cos of a mistake/cutbacks or something. The sword of jakpoor(the village that had got the money together to build it going on my bad memory) written down the side of it. Cool cover on that one. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement