Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awards thread

Options
  • 16-07-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

We don't have LM this year but we can still have end of year awards, can't we? We had best get this going quickly because last year the awards dragged on for a while.

Last year's categories were MVP, coach, rookie coach, QB, RB receiver offense and defense. This year I think we should also have a most improved coach, DPOTY and rookie player of the year.

Of course we can't all go searching through the season stats, so it would be helpful if you were to post your deserving players here.

Raiders who deserve recognition:
    Matt Hill for MVP/Best QB: 470 attempts, 264 completions, 5888 yards, 63 TDs and 18 interceptions. This includes 16 TDs to 3 interceptions in PvP games. Before this guy entered the league gunslinging game manager was an oxymoron, but he is one. He also gives further proof to the idea that overall ratings are useless. Rated 74 overall, but it's the key stats that count, with MAC at 87 and DAC at 89 as well as 95 THP

Greg Olsen for MVP/Best receiver: 150 receptions, 3246 yards and 25 TDs. This guy combines the blocking of a tackle with the speed of a WR. Of course the old excuse for not giving Raiders awards will be trotted out, that he's too good and that wouldn't happen in the real league.

Lawrence Timmons for DPOTY: Apparently this guy isn't elite. Apparently I got fleeced when I traded for him. Well think again. 70 tackles, the most by any user player. 4 sacks. It gets better. 6 interceptions, leading linebackers (actually tied for the lead with DJ Williams). And this guy is meant to be a linebacker? He is a god among men. Also came up with the forced fumble when needed, in the 2nd quarter against the Bengals in our RZ to put us back in the game.

Raiders defense: I know we had a rough few weeks recently, but those 39 interceptions speak for themselves. User passers had a rough time against the silver and black, throwing 193 times, completing 105 times for 1887 yards, 7 touchdowns and 22 interceptions, for a quarterback rating of 61.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Chiefs - Tony Gonzalez

No one else!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

To be honest I'd completely discount any games against the CPU in this as it's just a competition to see who can get the most silly stats against the computer.

Another reason why I think there should be some rules around running up the score against the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Nelbert wrote: »
    Chiefs - Tony Gonzalez

No one else!

No Vince Young....odd!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Noemi Whispering Smallpox

adrian522 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd completely discount any games against the CPU in this as it's just a competition to see who can get the most silly stats against the computer.

Another reason why I think there should be some rules around running up the score against the CPU.
    Couldn't agree more or at the very least exclude games like the raiders infamous 100 point game v the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

I definitely would not be giving any receiver awards to Tight Ends. There is little or no skill in compiling big numbers with them because of the deficiencies in this years version of the game, particularly so if you had a lot of CPU games. Compliling numbers by having stats like 454 yards on 22 catches against a team whose owner dropped out so you could play the CPU is just embarrassing.

I would vote for any WR nominated over a TE for the Receiver award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

adrian522 wrote: »

Agreed... you can't count numbers achieved against the CPU. Take your games against human and compare and contrast.

I don't think it'd hurt for people to also list players who caused them the most trouble this year. If one name is constantly appearing then that should give a fairly good handle on who the "real" MVP was. I believe MVP shouldn't necessarily be the player with the greatest stat line but the player who contributes most towards winning.

At a guess, i'd say MJD caused the most trouble for human players consistently and he has a huge stat line.

If i was to list my own guys who contributed (human games only) most towards winning, my MVP's if you will, in order:

1. DJ Williams: 17 tackles, 2 sacks and 5 ints in 6 human games. the LB's are the key to any good defense and Williams led mine admirably. Other than the game against the Giants, only 1 all year did a team score more than two TD's.. largely down to Williams
    2. DMarco Murray: 76 carries, 574 yards and 10TDs from 5 games. Forte got injured, Murray stepped in. Forte is fit, Murray's still the starter
    3. Josh Freeman: 64%, 1,421 yards, 2:1 TD:Int ratio from 6 games. again take out the Giants game and he has a QB rating of 115.1 versus humans
    4. Ras I Dowling: 6 INTs in 6 games. Ask the 49ers bout this guy ;)

If i was to list players who caused me awful trouble in order:

1. Anto Gonzales (TE - Chiefs): 20 catches for 382 yards and 2 TDs AND 1 tackle :)
    2. Mike Iupati (LG - Giants): Left field eh!!! I have never seen any player simultaneously block Suh, Ratliff and Hali with 1 hand while high-fiving his RB with the other as he springs him to freedom.... on every play!!!
    3.Kenyon Hubert (MLB - Giants): 4 tackles (though i remember 400 tackles) and 2 ints

Don't forget to include murrays opposing players injured stat hes a god damn assassin I tell ya :-)

Totally agree on ignoring CPU games for this.

Honestly felt Big Tony caused everyone I played against major problems!

On a side note, I will have a mic by the time Madden 13 kicks off!

etloveslsd wrote: »
    No Vince Young....odd!:pac:

:mad:

Don't forget to include murrays opposing players injured stat hes a god damn assassin I tell ya :-)

forgot that...

2. Demarco Murray: 76 carries, 574 yards, 10TDs, 4 broken DT's, 2 broken LB's and one broken safety... all from 5 games. no wonder his ypa was so high... no one wanted to tackle him....

... except the Giants of course who single handedly ruined all my numbers, what a jerk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Having had to play the raiders twice this season, I'd have to say that Olsen caused me the most trouble. I hate to say it because of the Raiders 1 dimensional style of play and if I had figured out how to stop Olsen earlier in the games I don't think he'd have been half the problem he was. But, I took too long to figure him out and the Raiders took full advantage of that.

Coach of the year I think I'd have to give to ibmax. I didn't play him but he seems to win most of his games by a pretty good margin and I think he'll be a genuine SB contender.

Rookie coach should definitely go to Qkitten. I didn't play her in the BFL but in the BPL (are we including this?) she beat me fairly decisively and I was impressed with how varied her game was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ibmax wrote: »
    Agreed... you can't count numbers achieved against the CPU. Take your games against human and compare and contrast.

I don't think it'd hurt for people to also list players who caused them the most trouble this year. If one name is constantly appearing then that should give a fairly good handle on who the "real" MVP was. I believe MVP shouldn't necessarily be the player with the greatest stat line but the player who contributes most towards winning.

At a guess, i'd say MJD caused the most trouble for human players consistently and he has a huge stat line.

If i was to list my own guys who contributed (human games only) most towards winning, my MVP's if you will, in order:

1. DJ Williams: 17 tackles, 2 sacks and 5 ints in 6 human games. the LB's are the key to any good defense and Williams led mine admirably. Other than the game against the Giants, only 1 all year did a team score more than two TD's.. largely down to Williams
    2. DMarco Murray: 76 carries, 574 yards and 10TDs from 5 games. Forte got injured, Murray stepped in. Forte is fit, Murray's still the starter
    3. Josh Freeman: 64%, 1,421 yards, 2:1 TD:Int ratio from 6 games. again take out the Giants game and he has a QB rating of 115.1 versus humans
    4. Ras I Dowling: 6 INTs in 6 games. Ask the 49ers bout this guy ;)

If i was to list players who caused me awful trouble in order:

1. Anto Gonzales (TE - Chiefs): 20 catches for 382 yards and 2 TDs AND 1 tackle :)
    2. Mike Iupati (LG - Giants): Left field eh!!! I have never seen any player simultaneously block Suh, Ratliff and Hali with 1 hand while high-fiving his RB with the other as he springs him to freedom.... on every play!!!
    3.Kenyon Hubert (MLB - Giants): 4 tackles (though i remember 400 tackles) and 2 ints

These have been noted and put to one side. If the Packers can take care of the Bears then I'll be taking them back out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Rookie coach, yes to QKitten. Really knows how to play the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is there any chance of LM being fixed so we can look at the stats? Whatever EA did properly messed them over. Was probably intentional.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

SantryRed wrote: »
    Is there any chance of LM being fixed so we can look at the stats? Whatever EA did properly messed them over. Was probably intentional.

PFL is fixed, we however are not, no one has replied to me as yet...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well the Giants get my "Coach of the year" vote. Should have been 16-0 really.

Seahawks get "Rookie coach of the year" . I'll have to come back to the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Tough without LM updated (an no access to EA site in work), but will try from what memory I have of the human games I played. Haven't played that many this year so list isn't very comprehensive.

Players I had trouble against:
    Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Jets: 6 rec 162yds 2 TD's
    (Keller was awesome as well but as people have mentioned am putting a discount on TE performances). Berty always found space for him, my guys couldn't keep up and he had a good YAC

LeGarrette Blount, RB Chargers: 24 carries 204yds 3 TD's
    Had awful trouble trying to stop him. My old buddy Hernandez had great game too but Blount was the key (along with Cam's 4 INTs) to the Chargers big win over me. Could be shifty outside and punt inside with equal comfort. Need to remember this for wildcard game

Jordan Shipley, WR Redskins
    No stats but remember being incredibly frustrated by this guy

Bengals players worthy of consideration
    On offense, absolutely no-one that I can think of.

On defense, ROLB Chad Greenway has been very good for me. Came up with few big sacks, tackles for loss and couple INTs.
    DT Sedrick Ellis has been a beast for me. Don't think he got large sack total but always putting QB under pressure.
    Don't know if there would be any stats to back this up, but very happy with my FS Dawan Landry too.
    But none of them outstanding enough to warrant any serious consideration for anything.

Coach of the Year: Tough call between ET and ibmax, but got to give it to the winner of their Head-to-Head game, despite the fact that Bengals ruined their 'perfect' season, Giants.

Rookie Coach of the Year: NekoChan and the Seahawks. Some very impressive performances from the game reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm with everyone on the whole CPU stats thing, which is why Timmons should get DPOTY. In 8 human games he had his 6 interceptions and forced fumble.

If people don't want Olsen for best receiver, perhaps you should consider the leading WR, Knox. Brought in because he could run fast, classic Al Davis move, and did just that with nice hands too.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I'm with everyone on the whole CPU stats thing, which is why Timmons should get DPOTY. In 8 human games he had his 6 interceptions and forced fumble.

DPOTY has to be a man no one even knows. If i told you there was an OLB who had:

- 49 tackles (35 for a loss)
    - 32 sacks
    - 4 forced fumbles
    - 1 defensive TD

could you name him??? He's not a Buc if you're asking!!!

I'll give you a clue... his MLB team-mate has to be a strong candidate for DROTY

Yes I could his name is Shalon Holmes. But sacks are an extremely overrated statistic in Madden. And he has 32 sacks, but only 17 other tackles, which suggests he isn't the best run-stopper. You want Lawrence Timmons, in 8 human games he has 37 tackles, 6 interceptions and a forced fumble.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Yes I could his name is Shalon Holmes. But sacks are an extremely overrated statistic in Madden.

I don't agree with that. LB interceptions are overrated/inflated for 2 reasons 1) Madden leaping LB syndrome and 2) the regularity with which TE's (Gonzalez and Hernandez in the AFC West) are targeted means LB and also safeties will have a lot more INTs than CBs.

I've benefited from this with my LB's and Safeties. They have more than 20 int's between them while the CB's have only 12.

Maybe a better example would be... Darrell Revis - 3INTs. Mario Williams - 3INTs!!!! Much as ET would like it, i can't see him lining Williams out wide over a WR in the playoffs ;)

Timmons is a beast and as good a MLB as there is - maybe not Urlacher, Beason or Willis class but not far behind. However, when you have a player who can produce as many sacks as Holmes (and OJ Morgan (DT) too) he's a real game changer who can allow you to drop 7 men into coverage. The Giants defense is built around this principal and has been one of the best defenses (if not the best??? certainly the least number of points conceded by a bit) Which is why Holmes has to be a serious contender.

Always looking for the excuse not to give it to the Raider.... I mean sure LBs can get plenty of interceptions, but they can also easily get plenty of sacks. And the interception is by far the more game-changing play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Raiders, i for one think you've had an immense season.
    Even taking into account the CPU games, personally a win is a win even if its 1 point or 20 points.

Olsen has been a huge weapon for you.

Raiders for most improved GM/ GM of the season

Ibmax for Rookie (though dave says you are an expert in all things madden)

DPOTY.. Willis, leads in tackles :D

Maybe a BFL rookie, but obviously a Madden veteran.
    Demonstrated obviously by excellent record, and secondly by "discussion" with Matthew after Buccs-Raiders game.

Demonstrated obviously by excellent record, and secondly by "discussion" with Matthew after Buccs-Raiders game.

Agreed, tbh some of the stuff talked about in game goes way over my head and I would say a conversation with the Ibmax would follow that theme!

Raiders, i for one think you've had an immense season.
    Even taking into account the CPU games, personally a win is a win even if its 1 point or 20 points.

Olsen has been a huge weapon for you.

Raiders for most improved GM/ GM of the season

DPOTY.. Willis, leads in tackles :D

Nah, Chargers.

I'll second that Heli, was tough for me to keep up with some of that stuff. Have much better understanding of the real NFL than Madden, and definitely don't play enough Madden to understand half of that conversation.

Definitely can't make the adjustments on defense to stop the good Madden players, and my only hope to keep up on offense is that they might actually be too good at Madden to read my attack, as if I confuse myself then how can they know what I'm trying to do?

I'll second that Heli, was tough for me to keep up with some of that stuff. Have much better understanding of the real NFL than Madden, and definitely don't play enough Madden to understand half of that conversation.

Definitely can't make the adjustments on defense to stop the good Madden players, and my only hope to keep up on offense is that they might actually be too good at Madden to read my attack, as if I confuse myself then how can they know what I'm trying to do?

I see you've uncovered my tactics Rob :pac::pac:

Who are the rookie coaches I don't think i qualify as I played 2-3 games at the end of last year so is it Ibmax,nekochan or nielbert

• Advertisement

Lads you're very kind but i genuinely was a rookie!!! While I've been playing Madden for many a year, the game in week 2 vs Paully and his Cowboys was my first ever online game!!! Really! I ain't no hustler!!!

Dave can testify to all this. He'd been badgering me since last September to join but i was embroiled in a costly renovation project and trying to justify getting Xbox Live to join the league when we didn't have any lights or windows in the house was not getting me too far with the misses!!!!

"you go off and get Xbox live while i use that stupid Xbox as kindling to keep warm"

I've found playing people completely different to playing the computer but very enjoyable none-the-less. It's been quite the adventure; from Dave having to ring me to explain how to join an Xbox live party (i know, embarrassing), convincing some of you to trade with a rookie who knows nothing about the NFL ( ;) ), to actually playing the games and generally doing ok.

As you can probably tell from the above paragraph, i'm some what of an online game-a-phobe and in general am not very good at computer games (the X button difference between the PS3 controller and Xbox controller cause me no end of problems). Thankfully, (I like to think so anyway) I've a decent knowledge of the NFL and can spot a cover 3 from a 2 man under so even though i tend to press the wrong buttons at times i can get away with it cause i know where the DB is heading... sometimes

Madden is the only game i play online cause to be honest boards has made it quite the community and there's a decent amount of banter. Banter which generally includes the Ray-duhs!!! Banter can get heated at time but always remember... i'm just playing the game ;)

this has turned into a graduation speech so i'm going to stop RIGHT now!!!

Advertisement