Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you support Bashar Al-Assad?

• 16-07-2012 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Who?

Do you support Bashar Al-Assad? 54 votes

Yes - the media are falsely leading us and he should remain leader
    0% 0 votes
    No - he is a genocidal maniac and should be removed at once
    29% 16 votes
    I don't know who he is / don't care about this thread
    70% 38 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

I don't support bashing anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Who?

The lad that played 'Sayid' in the TV show 'Lost'.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Is he FG or Labour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Here's me thinking serious discussion was at least half-possible in After Hours :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is AH the right place for this OP?

Anyway, of course every involved in this from the outside, Israel, Iran, Russia, China, USA, UK, UN has an angle.

There's one thing you can't away from though, people are being murdered and tortured in Syria at the present,

some are being sadistically tortured by the most barbaric inhumane whackjobs around and I ask myself why are these perpetrators being allowed do these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I voted Yes because I'm a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Is he the fella who played Sangit in Eastenders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Not sure I've ever heard of him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Not sure I've ever heard of him tbh

I think he is the guy from Call of Duty 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Of course

Whats happening now to Assad in Syria is just like when the Jews persecuted Hitler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Will there be cake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i care about irish affairs

Will there be cake?

Marie Antoinette? I heard you were dead.

i care about irish affairs

Your a swinger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He's got a long weird shaped head, so he nust be a genocidal maniac. Fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Trust him.
    He's a doctor.

Hippocrytic oath. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Is he the fella who played Sangit in Eastenders?

He actually studied ophthalmology in London. So yes he is.

All hail glorious overlord of the universe Bashar Al-Assad!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

He has actually been a very progressive leader for syria. Most of the dictators before him were much worse. In fact, when he first took power it was celebrated as "Ushering a new era of liberty" (Nat Geo at the time). His liberalness was, ironicly his downfall. Syrians saw it as weakness rather than as a reformer. How ever, I won't deny that Syria was still a ruthless dictatorship. It was really a case of too little, too late.

Oh wait, we're not having a serious discussion? Then I like him because the more arabs near Israel the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Here's me thinking serious discussion was at least half-possible in After Hours :-)

I support serious discussion in After Hours as much as Bashar Al-Asshat supports free speech and christmas and shit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Will there be cake?

There Is No Cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Nodin wrote: »
    There Is No Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

It seems that both the rebels and the Assad regime have blood on their hands. As I don't know a lot about what's actually happening in Syria, I am remaining neutral. I don't know what reports to believe and what reports not to believe. Hopefully the truth will come out in the end.

However, it is obvious that many countries have different interests in Syria. The US/NATO has been against the Assad regime for a long time now; George W. Bush included Syria in his "Axis of Evil". You could say that the US has a lot to benefit from the toppling of the Assad government and have a pro-US/NATO government in its stead.

One such benefit of an Assad capitulation would be to reduce the number of potential pro-Iranian and anti-Israeli elements in the region. These are mere conspiracy theories but they mightn't be too far from the truth.

Similarly, it also seem that China and especially Russia have interests in the Assad regime. Russia's only military base outside the former USSR is in the coastal city of Tartus in Syria. The Russians may believe that the potential capitulation of the Assad regime and rise of a pro-US/NATO government may risk the existence of their naval base. Again, this is just a theory.

Furthermore, it may also be the case that Russia, propped up by China, are promoting conspiracy theories about US/NATO involvement to shift support away from the rebels, but this is yet another conspiracy theory in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Could care less as long as the price of oil isn't affected.

Other than that .. let them have their little arab springs, uprisings and knock themselves out.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Could care less as long as the price of oil isn't affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Pedant wrote: »
    George W. Bush included Syria in his "Axis of Evil"

Sorry to be pedantic, but he didn't. That was Iraq, Iran and North Korea.

Sorry to be pedantic, but he actually did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Do they have cake? Whats important is the cake, in this case a fruitcake:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I do and I think his place should be safe in the Twenty 20 squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Did your friend actually explicitly express support for these men, or did you come to this conclusion based on his criticism of the west's past foreign policy? As to whether the mainstream media could peddle falsehoods in order to futher a geo-political aim, then the answer is definitely yes. You might recall the new york times offered an apology for their role in the build up to the iraq war.
    Regarding Syria, there seems to be an intent to portray Assad's forces as monsters, while the fsa are depicted as knights in shining armour, despite evidence to the contrary. The truth most likely is that both sides are committing human rights abuses, but the media for whatever reason is only keen to apportion blame to one side, despite UN reports contradicting such claims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Only when the big games come up. Other than that I tend to feign interest in player transfers and injuries just to appear part of the crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

23 people do not understand what the term genocidal means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If Assad held elections and stepped down, I reckon he could have easily have gotten amnesty for his previous crimes, if he did that early on, and he would be able to live the rest of his live as a very rich man some place nice.

So, IMHO a lot of the responsibility for the violence lies with him. Having said that the rebel are hardly blameless in all this, and I can't say I trust them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Do you support Bashar Al-Assad?

No, not really. But I have a double of him to beat the rebels and Dublin to win the All Ireland, so fingers crossed he does the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Pedant wrote: »

Right .... you got me, I give a small iota for what happens in Syria. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Send him to Talbot street, see how he likes that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Despite there being no people in this continuing mess with no blood on their hands, Bashar Al-Assad is still a killer of his own people I suspect.

Why there is not at least an international arrest warrant out on his head, testifies to the outer big world states wishing not to go down that path in case they lose out financially and/or in possible gained resources.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Border-Rat wrote: »
    23 people do not understand what the term genocidal means.

Or just the 1 person who created the poll? Should the anwser yes just because of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

He is the puck off Joe O Reilly..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bashar is a top name.

Like a bully in the Beano or a bullying sergeant-major in a 70s sitcom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Or just the 1 person who created the poll? Should the anwser yes just because of that?

Right, they just had to vote. Like Dougal pressing the emergency button in the cabin. :pac:

Advertisement