Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your feelings on dust jackets?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I cant say I own too many hardback books for various reasons (size, ease of reading, transport, price etc) but the one aspect that truly perplexes me is the dust jacket. I understand its function and I like that it gives a colourful front to what would otherwise be a blank cover but I never know what to do with them. I often feel the book looks better without them but then I feel that the book is then less protected and my mind goes round and round...

So. How do you feel about dust jackets, and what do you do with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I hate them...I hate the way they slide off when you're reading and make your grip on the book awkward. They usually get taken off and mislaid. Saying that I'm a fan of library binding- where the dust jacket is firmly attached to the book. You can often get this option on amazon and it a winner imho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They don't bother me too much as I usually take them off while I'm reading the book, then put it back on afterwards (providing I haven't mislaid it in the meantime!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

They are annoying but not really noticeable annoying if that makes sense. I might get irritated if it gets in the way of me reading but I've never really given it much thought and when I do get annoyed I've never dwelt on it for long. I guess when I'm purchasing books I tend to go for a version without but don't have a problem if I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Annoying is my general opinion. Thank god for the Reader - no more annoying jackets. And they can't be used to mark a book, as soon as you pick up the book, it slides out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

They don't bother me at all. I'm not for them or against them. I get what people are saying about the books slipping in the jackets sometimes but if that was the worst life problem I had I'd be delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

They don't bother me too much as I usually take them off while I'm reading the book, then put it back on afterwards (providing I haven't mislaid it in the meantime!).

Same here. I don't own many hardbacks anyway because they are too awkward to carry around and hurt your wrists if you have a long reading session. Anyway I have a kindle now so I don't bother with physical books anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I always lost them since I couldn't read a book with one on. It wouldn't put me off buying hardback if I had to but I don't care for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They don't really bother me; due to the way I hold my books they don't affect my grip. I also find that they make handy bookmarks.

Aesthetically I prefer books without, I like the cloth spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

The way it folds in makes it handy as a bookmark I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I just hate those large hardbacks in general. Too awkward and heavy for reading and carrying around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dr.Zeus

Dust jackets = Bin

Unless you think that the edition you have will be worth money in 30 years time. Apparantly it's worth more with the dust jacket.......

Advertisement