Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone interference from router

Options
  • 16-07-2012 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Not exactly sure if i'm in the correct place for this but i'll give it a go. I recently purchased 3 cordless phones for my house. When I set them up I tested one out and when ringing somebody I could hear a fuzzy echo from the ringtone and then from the persons voice on the other end. My voice sounds fine to them and I have tested ringing the new house phones myself from my mobile and can't hear any problem. It seems the issues is with the cordless phones.

The main phone base was connected to a filter with the other line going to my router. I decided to remove that and just place the main phone line into the wall. It seems the interference is greatly reduced so I can't see its a technical fault with the phones.

My problem is what do I do now? I need the router connection and there is no other phone point to connect it to. I must use the filter to get both the phones and the router. However there must be something to stop the interference on the phone which I am not aware of yet. I hope somebody can help me out. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cordless phones and Wifi both operate in the same frequency band (2.4GHz) so are vulnerable to interference. The first thing I'd try is trying different Wifi channels on the router. That might help.

If not, you can (with newer routers) switch to 5GHz mode. That should alleviate the problem - and you might get higher Wifi speeds, but shorter Wifi range - but it might not work with your older Wifi devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cordless DECT phones operate on 1.9 GHz (actually 1880–1900 MHz).

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Hi thanks for the responses. The cordless phone I got has a range of 1.8-1.9 so I find it very strange that it does experience interference. I also tried changing the frequency of my router with no luck. I have tried linking several filters and still no change. Is it best I go for a 5.8ghz phone? or will this be a problem if I ever change my broadband router in the future? I am on ericom now, have had their device for 4 years. I intend to switch to UPC in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It could also just be a problem with the phone base station itself. What make/model is it, and could you easily exchange it / send it back? Can you beg / borrow / steal a DECT phone from someone else for a few minutes to try?

Advertisement