Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB have frozen my credit card because I travelled abroad.

Options
  • 16-07-2012 7:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I've been saying for years that I've had it up to here with AIB, yet they are the bank that keep on giving (grief). :mad:

Their latest escapade was to freeze my credit card because I travelled abroad and that must mean it got stolen, because people never travel!

But thanks to their awful customer service, I cannot find the right email address to report this on their website. I'm not calling them, it's expensive and their screw-up. Does anyone know what email address I should send an email to to have them unfreeze my card? How long will it take to unfreeze, should be automatic right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Andy!! wrote: »
    I've been saying for years that I've had it up to here with AIB, yet they are the bank that keep on giving (grief). :mad:

Their latest escapade was to freeze my credit card because I travelled abroad and that must mean it got stolen, because people never travel!

But thanks to their awful customer service, I cannot find the right email address to report this on their website. I'm not calling them, it's expensive and their screw-up. Does anyone know what email address I should send an email to to have them unfreeze my card? How long will it take to unfreeze, should be automatic right?

They won't do it by email, Andy. Get a male friend back home to call them. Something similar happened me in China; got my Dad to call them, problem sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

In the day and age of scams, scams, and more scams, I think you are being a bit unreasonable.

Do you do much travelling? I am just back from the states and I took the precaution of notifying my cc company. I would much prefer them to be on guard than lax.

If your card gets skimmed or stolen, you will be glad they are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Common procedure. Call the number on the back of the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Same thing happened to me several weeks ago. Spent a considerable amount of money calling them - phone number should be at the back of the card. Although they haven't accepted any fault, they have eventually agreed to refund me for the phone calls. I've only just sent them a copy of my phone bill - hopefully will have the refund soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm moving in three weeks but plan on continuing to use my CC for iTunes purchases and the likes - should I call the number on the back of the card to tell them beforehand?

• Advertisement

Moving to where? If you usually use your card on itunes, they should not flag itunes as its normal. If you move to russia/nigeria/china and start using it in shops, expect it to be blocked unless you tell them.

I was in work one night and paid three euro online for something. Within FIVE minutes, MBNA rang my shop number and mobile querying it. I was happy to know they were watching my back:D

Moving to where? If you usually use your card on itunes, they should not flag itunes as its normal. If you move to russia/nigeria/china and start using it in shops, expect it to be blocked unless you tell them.

I was in work one night and paid three euro online for something. Within FIVE minutes, MBNA rang my shop number and mobile querying it. I was happy to know they were watching my back:D

I'm moving to Qatar for at least 18 months. I reckon I'll just give them a ring beforehand and explain that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

They're not watching your back, they're watching their own. Fraud will cost them and not you.

I'm moving to Qatar for at least 18 months. I reckon I'll just give them a ring beforehand and explain that.

Can I ask you what you'll be doing in Qatar?

They're not watching your back, they're watching their own. Fraud will cost them and not you.
    If it can be shown you were negligent, it is on your back.

• Advertisement

Brokentime wrote: »
    Can I ask you what you'll be doing in Qatar?

Writing for the newsletter and magazine of a fairly well known organisation over there.

Writing for the newsletter and magazine of a fairly well known organisation over there.

Lost job in Ireland, or just a change of scene?

Lost job in Ireland, or just a change of scene?

I think we're starting to get off-topic here! No, I do enjoy my current job a lot and they're sad to have me leave but in terms of bulking up my CV, having a new adventure and earning a lot than my current wage, it was a no-brainer.

I think we're starting to get off-topic here! No, I do enjoy my current job a lot and they're sad to have me leave but in terms of bulking up my CV, having a new adventure and earning a lot than my current wage, it was a no-brainer.

Totally off topic, my bad.

Still, sounds like a good career move.

It's the weird thing about a credit card, though. I mean, you're supposed to be able to use them all around the world, but when you do it causes alerts. Still, I don't know of any credit card company or bank that would accept an email as a way of making any changes to an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Their systems are designed to flag "unusual" activity, but defining that is difficult. For example, if you only got your card 12 months ago, and have only ever used it within a 5 mile radius of your house, then going to a different part of the country might be considered unusual.

I usually just call my local branch in advance if I'm going anywhere weird, or planning a bunch of unusual transactions in a short period of time.

Thoie wrote: »
    I usually just call my local branch in advance if I'm going anywhere weird

Hello, Bank? I plan to go to a lapdancing joint this weekend :D

Hello, Bank? I plan to go to a lapdancing joint this weekend :D

"Where I'll be buying a variety of highly overpriced drinks, starting with a Cosmopolitan."

Knowing my bank, the nice lady who usually answers the phone would say "Ooh, that's lovely Thoie, is it for a special occasion? How are your mum and dad getting on, will they be going with you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Chillax man. This happens to prevent fraud on accounts. They are in a catch 22. They must weigh up the risk of letting the card be used (with possible fraud) or freeze it (which causes hassle to the customer).

However I am sure you would be thankful that your card was frozen if you were in Ireland and some randomer was having a happy time on your card abroad.

Email wont work by the way as mentioned. You will need to call them and get it sorted.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

They did this to me too when in the phillipines.

Took me about a day of screaming and ranting down the phone to the useless twats to get it sorted.

Stupid fu(king b@stards...

kegzmc wrote: »

Took me about a day of screaming and ranting down the phone to the useless twats to get it sorted.

Odd - the only time it happened me I called them, said "Hey, I'm Thoie, I'm abroad and my card has been declined, could you check that for me please?". They took my details, got me to answer some security questions, lifted the stop and wished me a pleasant trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

my UB card got blocked because i tried to make a massive purchase on flights - i'm glad they're so on the ball
    politely answered a few security questions and that was that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Phillipines has a lot of fraudulent activity attached to it. Probably took you so long to get it sorted due to the screaming and ranting. A quick call and ask them to lift the block and its done. Trust me, they want you to be spending money on the card, but will not risk fraudulent activity as costs them dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, it's a common security precaution. Call the number on the back of your card - you an reverse the charges and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Does anyone know what email address I should send an email to to have them unfreeze my card?

AIB Contact Points

"Enquiry Form", top-ish right on the above page.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If you usually use your card on itunes, they should not flag itunes as its normal.

You'd think. But when a long running (try upwards of five years at the time) recurring subscription keeps getting flagged, despite constantly having to ring to have your card unblocked and promises of "oh we've added a note/exclusion/insert bullsh*t excuse for this month", I'm dubious of how discriminatory or intelligent their alerts system is.

Swampy wrote: »
    Common procedure. Call the number on the back of the credit card.

Oh yes, it was common procedure for me to have to call them. Constantly. Repeatedly. Every other f*cking month. Then I moved country, changed the billing account and all has been bliss ever since. Now to sort out the last of the oustanding bills and I'll wave goodbye to AIB forever.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Mort5000 wrote: »
    AIB Contact Points

"Enquiry Form", top-ish right on the above page.

Tried this, they have not responded, hence my asking. I will try to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I assume, of course, that you notified them in advance of your travels? If not, then it's not "awful customer service", merely "awful customer". Think of it this way - in the event that your card is ever used fraudulently, are you happy to pay them back all the money stolen?

Forget emailing. Ring the number on the back of the card and politely inform the person that you are travelling.
    Nope, they watching your back. That is why they automatically cover your losses unless you clearly were irresponsible with the card.

You're lucky it only took a day considering you were "screaming and ranting". However, for normal people, a polite 5 minute call is all it takes.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

dotsman wrote: »
    I assume, of course, that you notified them in advance of your travels? If not, then it's not "awful customer service", merely "awful customer". Think of it this way - in the event that your card is ever used fraudulently, are you happy to pay them back all the money stolen?

A. I was running around like a headless chicken packing, moving out of my place, arranging visas, arranging flights, new job related stuff, and generally preparing to upend myself and leave the country forever. You'll excuse me if I didn't think to tell AIB that I would be doing so. I told them to switch statements back to my family home address etc. but didn't think about the current problem I am having. Maybe they should have mentioned it? Had customer service had 2 brain cells to rub together. I would say this would not even occur to most customers to do, even though it does make sense in hindsight.

B. They have some slight clues that the card was not being used fraudulently, considering I have been paying the bloody thing off. :rolleyes: Had there been something wrong, I would have noticed, and reported it.

C. Why would I be paying the money back if it was stolen? Do you understand the concept of 'victim'? Banks have insurance for this, and are by no means skint (not when it comes to protecting their own money anyway), and have staff dedicated to investigating and getting the money back.

Sorry I'm an 'awful customer' though :rolleyes: Boy, the stories I could tell you about AIB...

A. I was running around like a headless chicken packing, moving out of my place, arranging visas, arranging flights, new job related stuff, and generally preparing to upend myself and leave the country forever. You'll excuse me if I didn't think to tell AIB that I would be doing so. I told them to switch statements back to my family home address etc. but didn't think about the current problem I am having. Maybe they should have mentioned it? Had customer service had 2 brain cells to rub together. I would say this would not even occur to most customers to do, even though it does make sense in hindsight.

B. They have some slight clues that the card was not being used fraudulently, considering I have been paying the bloody thing off. :rolleyes: Had there been something wrong, I would have noticed, and reported it.

C. Why would I be paying the money back if it was stolen? Do you understand the concept of 'victim'? Banks have insurance for this, and are by no means skint (not when it comes to protecting their own money anyway), and have staff dedicated to investigating and getting the money back.

Sorry I'm an 'awful customer' though :rolleyes: Boy, the stories I could tell you about AIB...

Still think you are unreasonable and as for awful customer, more arrogant customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

A lot of money is lost due to fraud once a card is used outside the country it's flagged and a stop put to it they have no way of knowing unless u tell them
    That your abroad did you give them a reason when u were changing your address for statements
    All banks are the same in this way not just Aib
    You will have to ring them for security reasons anybody with your email address could email them saying your abroad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement