Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB have frozen my credit card because I travelled abroad.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Andy!! wrote: »
    I've been saying for years that I've had it up to here with AIB, yet they are the bank that keep on giving (grief). :mad:

Their latest escapade was to freeze my credit card because I travelled abroad and that must mean it got stolen, because people never travel!

But thanks to their awful customer service, I cannot find the right email address to report this on their website. I'm not calling them, it's expensive and their screw-up. Does anyone know what email address I should send an email to to have them unfreeze my card? How long will it take to unfreeze, should be automatic right?

Any help would be appreciated.
    That also happened to my sister in law when they were in oz , very Embaressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

B. They have some slight clues that the card was not being used fraudulently, considering I have been paying the bloody thing off. :rolleyes: Had there been something wrong, I would have noticed, and reported it.

Actually, you would be surprised how many people don't..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its obvious your mind is made up and you dont care what anyone says.

Arrogant is definately the word is :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Arrogant is definately the word is :rolleyes:

I'm an english teacher (that's what I am doing abroad) and I can help you with your sentence construction. It might take a while but I am a good teacher! PM me your skype and I will send you pricing.

Kind I remind everyone that courtesy and respect are not optional extras on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 imprezat

All - just an FYI.

I was advised by a friend on the pre-call AIB to prevent being cut off.
    I called my branch and they told me they would cut it off anyway - even though I was informing them in advance. This was to prevent an issue (for example someone could steal my card while I was away).

I asked was there anything I could do to ensure I have money there....the response?

"Bring Cash"

I'm sorry but this is not helpful, in a word it's Lazy.

I'm going for months so this is a serious pain.

PS the call was 5 minutes and I was very polite.
    Oh and the same phone call with my NIB account went...thank you, we will not lock the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Report that conversation to the manager of your AIB branch. I usually ring my AIB branch to tell them the same thing, and never received a response like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Like others have said, anytime I go abroad I let them know the dates I will be out of the country as I dont want this happening, its common practice these days and widely known about. Pretty much everyone I know does this when going abroad.

And making a phone call before I go away is better than having someone in another country running up charges on my card and the CC Company doing nothing about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

imprezat wrote: »
    I called my branch and they told me they would cut it off anyway - even though I was informing them in advance. This was to prevent an issue (for example someone could steal my card while I was away).

Letting them know about expected travel plans will not prevent a block being put on the card in the event of suspicious transactions appearing, but it may help them decide whether suspicious transactions may be fraudulent. It's not a black and white issue.

No excuse if they were rude though. I haven't had that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

imprezat wrote: »
    All - just an FYI.

I asked was there anything I could do to ensure I have money there....the response?

"Bring Cash"

I'm sorry but this is not helpful, in a word it's Lazy.

I'm going for months so this is a serious pain.

PS the call was 5 minutes and I was very polite.
    Oh and the same phone call with my NIB account went...thank you, we will not lock the card.

A can agree its not a helpful response from the branch, thats fair enough, but the advice is sound enough. Always bring some cash to foreign country, dont rely solely on cards for immediate funds. Have some cash as well as card.

• Advertisement

roro2 wrote: »
    It's not a black and white issue.

It really is. It's either you using the card, or it isn't.

Finally got my card unblocked. I'm shocked that even notifying them beforehand won't prevent the block, that is absolutely ridiculous. Glad I emigrated. Ireland is a sinking ship and the apathy and idiocy of the banks is at the core of it. You know how you have to wait to have a current account card posted out to you and it takes several days in Ireland? I got mine issued to me straight away in the branch upon opening my account over here :pac: And it's as secure as AIB's system because it's all sealed up etc. The Irish banks just do things in whatever way suits them best, and screw the regular joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I'm shocked that even notifying them beforehand won't prevent the block
    Hence I never bother. It is a waste of a phone call.
    In 20 years of travelling all over the world I have never had my cards blocked. And I do use them in many strange places.

So, um, what's your secret? If you never notify them beforehand, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It really is. It's either you using the card, or it isn't.

Finally got my card unblocked. I'm shocked that even notifying them beforehand won't prevent the block, that is absolutely ridiculous. Glad I emigrated. Ireland is a sinking ship and the apathy and idiocy of the banks is at the core of it. You know how you have to wait to have a current account card posted out to you and it takes several days in Ireland? I got mine issued to me straight away in the branch upon opening my account over here :pac: And it's as secure as AIB's system because it's all sealed up etc. The Irish banks just do things in whatever way suits them best, and screw the regular joe.

Notifying them beforehand won't prevent the block, it is related to irregular/large amount/potentially fraudable transaction more than to location itself. The fact that you notified them about your holidays may help, but it is not guarantee to have every single transaction accepted regardless what it could be. And rightly so because then you have people with stolen wallets complaining to banks...

I understand it is annoying, but that's how it works.
    You can always cancel your cards/close accounts in Ireland, and use local banks... Since you emigrated this would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Thoie wrote: »
    Odd - the only time it happened me I called them, said "Hey, I'm Thoie, I'm abroad and my card has been declined, could you check that for me please?". They took my details, got me to answer some security questions, lifted the stop and wished me a pleasant trip.

Same as, couldn't have been more helpful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So, um, what's your secret? If you never notify them beforehand, that is.
    I just use them as normal, never had an issue.

The saga with this bunch of incapable muppet lords continues.

So I'm using the card again, but it has been several days and these entries have not shown up on my online account yet so I cannot pay them off, which I need to do (student credit card, low limit). And now the bloody internet banking is down so I can't even check if they have appeared! The worse thing about living in a country that isn't third world like Ireland is that whatever interactions I still have with the Irish 'system' are even more painful...

The saga with this bunch of incapable muppet lords continues.

So I'm using the card again, but it has been several days and these entries have not shown up on my online account yet so I cannot pay them off, which I need to do (student credit card, low limit). And now the bloody internet banking is down so I can't even check if they have appeared! The worse thing about living in a country that isn't third world like Ireland is that whatever interactions I still have with the Irish 'system' are even more painful...

Can you not just pay the rough amount and have a negative balance on your card? I've done that myself a few times to save an extra trip to the bank the next month.

I would love to try, if I could even log in. I never thought of paying money off it even if it doesn't show up... you reckon that would work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Why don't you get a new credit card in one of those super wonderful countries that's clearly miles better than third world Ireland? You are sounding like a broken record at this stage. If you think Ireland is still in the stone age I suggest you never visit Mexico or parts of Asia for example. First world problems indeed.

Give it a rest already, in case you haven't noticed the mighty US of A hasn't even embraced chip & pin technology and still make you sign for card transactions manually. Your card was frozen by an over zealous fraud team who are entitled to protect their own asses, all banks are the same btw.

Ireland a third world? Spare me please.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Why don't you get a new credit card in one of those super wonderful countries that's clearly miles better than third world Ireland?

I'm here a month. You think they are going to hand over a credit card with a limit in the thousands to someone who has lived in the country a month?

And yes, not only is Ireland a third world country (Chip&Pin aside :pac:) it's a right ****hole too! Filled with apathetic people like the lot in AIB that I've had innumerable problems with over the years. Can't wait till I get paid here (into the account that I got a Lazer card for INSTANTLY) so I can remove that last Irish shackle around my ankle, and finally depend completely on a country that actually has some kind of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I'm here a month. You think they are going to hand over a credit card with a limit in the thousands to someone who has lived in the country a month?

And yes, not only is Ireland a third world country (Chip&Pin aside :pac:) it's a right ****hole too! Filled with apathetic people like the lot in AIB that I've had innumerable problems with over the years. Can't wait till I get paid here (into the account that I got a Lazer card for INSTANTLY) so I can remove that last Irish shackle around my ankle, and finally depend completely on a country that actually has some kind of infrastructure.

Shocking attitude...
    So you hate Ireland for what it is, but keep using money (well borrowing money) from the bank you hate the most?
    You complained about your low limit student card, and now you are talking about thousands of euro? I don't get you at all
    Why don't you close your credit card account as soon as you get paid with your megazillions dollars or whatever you get there and stop moaning about simple things?

You got a Lazer card instantly - good for you, never heard of that one

As for you being polite on the phone with AIB - i don't believe. All i hear from you over days is muppets, morons, etc... And you are teaching English there? Good luck with your career.

wonski wrote: »
    You complained about your low limit student card, and now you are talking about thousands of euro? I don't get you at all

Low limit is what I have; a new card in this country would have a limit of several thousand, following now?;)
    wonski wrote: »
    Shocking attitude...
    So you hate Ireland for what it is, but keep using money (well borrowing money) from the bank you hate the most?

You're absolutely right, I should go on some self-righteous quest and starve instead! That'll show em!!

/end scene.

Questions answered. Flames un-needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement