Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance and Maternity Cover

Options
  • 16-07-2012 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I just looked at our VHI policy (Family Plan Level 1). It states that I am entitled to 3 days (to a max of €3400) full cover in a private room in a public maternity hospital. I am trying to get through to vhi to talk to them but just thought someone here might know. Does that mean I could select private care in a maternity care? And if i had trouble or had a section would I be liable for the all fees in excess of €3400?

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

If you are in hospital for any longer than you're covered for, you get bumped to a public ward. That happened to me on the two occasions I was in, though I was semi private. For a section you're covered for 5 nights (only if the section is emergency/medically necessary, not if you chose one), so on nights 6-8 I was moved to a public ward. Of course, if you're willing to pay the extra yourself then I'm sure they'll let you stay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I just got through to VHI so apparently the private cover for a public hospital is for confinement only. If I chose to go private, I would need to pay all pre and post-natal consultant and scan charges etc. Semi-private it is, me thinks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No you still need to pay for a lot of extra and it normally works out at 3k plus.
    For semi private it is what ever the hospital quote as they get the excess from vhi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

yellow hen wrote: »
    I just got through to VHI so apparently the private cover for a public hospital is for confinement only. If I chose to go private, I would need to pay all pre and post-natal consultant and scan charges etc. Semi-private it is, me thinks!

Yes, sorry the outpatient fees are different. You do have to pay them yourself. I think you can claim back on your insurance and tax, but I haven't done it yet, think I'm too late now.

Just be aware, in some hospitals you have to pay for the antenatal costs too, in Holles Street its 900 euro for example.

Advertisement