Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurve bow questions

• 16-07-2012 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

High all,
    I'm looking for a recurve bow. I'm a beginner, I have been to club lessons twice before but I don't live in the vicinity any club anymore. I am male, roughly 5' 11 with average build and I would like a bow that is reliable and consistently accurate.
    I was hoping someone could help with a few of my questions.
    What sort of bow should I buy as I would like to have my own to practice with in my own time? Size? Ibs?
    Also where can I buy from in Ireland either online or in store or second hand?

I hope these questions don't seem stupid but I am unlearned in this field!

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post moved fron 2nd hand equipment thread

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

if its traditional archery your after give this man a ring he is outside ballina in mayo very sound fella to deal with and he has a world of stuff in this shop http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kun aguero

It is more so just modern recurve bows that I am after. Just to get used to archery really. Thanks all the same!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

kun aguero wrote: »
    High all,
    I'm looking for a recurve bow. I'm a beginner, I have been to club lessons twice before but I don't live in the vicinity any club anymore.

Hello Kun. The first comment I'll make is that you will take a awful lot longer to progress without getting a good grounding. It can be done but if you end up having to later relearn the whole process it becomes hugely more difficult. Learn right, learn once. Try and make an effort to get to a club at least for the initial beginners course. There is also a safety element to consider that is a part of doing a course. At the moment, archery is, rightly enough, reasonably free of legislation. It benefits us all for this to continue.

There are two codes of archery in Ireland FITA and IFAA. They are represented by the local organisations of, respectively, the IAAA and the IFAF.

There websites and the clubs they represent are:

http://archery.ie/site/

http://www.irishfieldarchery.com/

Whatever type of equipment you wish to suit you will find the basics are the same and any club will be able to help you get started.
    I am male, roughly 5' 11 with average build and I would like a bow that is reliable and consistently accurate.
    ..... Size? Ibs?

You say you're interested in modern recurve so I'll assume that means Olympic style risers. You don't say whether it's barebow or sighted archery that you prefer but it doesn't matter except for the extra equipment you'll need.

If you only intend to shoot at home then whatever you like is okay. If you wish to shoot competitively at some stage you should take into consideration what equipment your chosen style will allow.

You're roughly my own height and build. I started with 28# limbs (i.e. 28 pound). I have a 30" draw so that left me with ~32# on my fingers which I quickly could shoot for hours.

As you build up poundage you swap out the limbs. Extra poundage may need a new poundage-appropriate set of arrows.

Your choice of changeable systems are Universal Limb Fitting or International Limb Fitting. ULF is more of a training bow system, a bolt down system. ILF is the system used by the Olympic style archers, it allows for adjustable poundage, within limits, to tune the arrows to the bow weight. ULF is cheaper but limb quality is moderate, the cheaper ILF equipment will come close enough.
    Also where can I buy from in Ireland either online or in store or second hand?

To check out equipment look at :

http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/index

http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00620.1.163501691716355418

Once you've seen and chosen you can order from them. However it would be MUCH better to buy after hands on experience and the guidance the seller can give you.

Two such shops are:

http://www.shootingstyle.ie/

http://www.archeryshop.ie/

I think they both offer coaching also so maybe you could make a weekend of it. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

hey guys, just posting this coz im a bit of a noob at this but i have a samick riser with 27lb limbs but im looking to bump up to 40 pound as these are too light for me.
    At the moment i am looking at Samick Journey limbs and im wondering if you guys could tell me if they world fit my samick privlage riser.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciate

• Advertisement

hi guys, posting this as im curious to know if anybody could shed a bitta light on this. i have a samick privlage recurve and when i shoot it i get this terrible smack out of it. its inly a 27 lb pound. i was shooting my dad 35lb bow and its as quiet as mouse.
    any idea on what i could do to help quiet this? i have a feeling its to do with the brace height but im but 100% sure.
    Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Jack0106 wrote: »
    hey guys, just posting this coz im a bit of a noob at this but i have a samick riser with 27lb limbs but im looking to bump up to 40 pound as these are too light for me.
    At the moment i am looking at Samick Journey limbs and im wondering if you guys could tell me if they world fit my samick privlage riser.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciate

They won't. They are bolt down limbs. Your Privilege riser is an ILF fitting riser. Samick Privilege limbs will (obviously) suit and are on the cheaper end of the ILF price range.

27 to 40 is too big of a jump. Ask advice from wherever you source the limbs.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Jack, it could well be the brace height. It could also be badly mismatched arrows hitting some part of the riser.

Adam Grant

Thanks greysides, i lowered my brace height today a little bit and i was happy with the result. might do it a little more tomorrow.
    Thanks for your advice

greysides wrote: »
    They won't. They are bolt down limbs. Your Privilege riser is an ILF fitting riser. Samick Privilege limbs will (obviously) suit and are on the cheaper end of the ILF price range.

27 to 40 is too big of a jump. Ask advice from wherever you source the limbs.

well, ive been shooting my dads 35lb for a couple of months now and ive gotten use to it. also i bought the samick when i was 14, im 18 now and have been playing a fair bitta rugby along with weight training so ive bulked up a bit since then. im managing the 35lb without bother and am just looking for a bit more umph.

will any ILF limbs fit an ILF riser? or are there certain ones that fit certain brands only?

Thanks for the share of knowledge though, ill keep it in mind

• Advertisement

What actual length is your string or do you know the nominal size of your bow?

Adam Grant

Jack, always be careful with poundage. I don't know your style of shooting but for Olympic type shooting a rule of thumb as regards holding weight is to be able to hold at full draw for 45 seconds without shaking....
    35# isn't too heavy if you've built up to it.

Generally, any ILF limbs will fit any ILF riser allowing for mixing and matching of components..... riser from one maker, limbs from another; good quality riser with cheap limbs etc.

These are the cheapest limbs I could find on this site which is an Irish shop.

http://www.archeryshop.ie/product/sf-archery-limbs-axiom/

You could try Ebay for second hand stuff too. The Axiom limbs are good quality limbs for the price.

Your Privilege is a 23" riser and those limbs are measured on a 25" riser so the overall bow length marked on the limbs is going to be 2" shorter on your riser and it will also pull 2# extra over the marked weight.

The limb length you need would be based on your draw length. If you contact the shop they will be able to advise you.

Adam Grant

Alrighty, ill keep all that in mind. Much appreciated greysides

Advertisement