Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsolicited calls

• 16-07-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Just had another call from my "personal" computer technican in India. Just letting me know I have a virus:eek:. It's grand as he was going to fix it for me.

So sick of them but this time I answered a question or 2 as if interested and then asked him to hang on and got my kids bedtime music soother. Put it to the phone for 2 minutes (Twinkle twinkle little star) and could hear him swearing down the line. Has rang back a couple of times since. Dont think he's too happy.:o

Best way the fine residents of AH have dealt with unsolicited callers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Politely refuse their offer and put down the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Krispie wrote: »
    ...and could hear him swearing down the line

By deduction you know a few Indian curse words. Just say them to him the next time he rings. Also I thought this sh!t had stopped by now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When they ask for your IP address etc, just call out random numbers and say you're certain that's what's on the screen.

Once they get frustrated tell them the virus must be mutating, then make lots of noise and tell them it has evolved and your PC has transformed and is trying to kill you.

Then scream, bang some pots n stuff and hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

get an air horn and deafen the fucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tell them that the next time we play them at Cricket we will stuff them up their arse.

Then just hang up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Try this.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Krispie wrote: »
    Just had another call from my "personal" computer technican in India. Just letting me know I have a virus:eek:. It's grand as he was going to fix it for me.

So sick of them but this time I answered a question or 2 as if interested and then asked him to hang on and got my kids bedtime music soother. Put it to the phone for 2 minutes (Twinkle twinkle little star) and could hear him swearing down the line. Has rang back a couple of times since. Dont think he's too happy.:o

Best way the fine residents of AH have dealt with unsolicited callers?

By telling them that none of us in this house use Windows (no lie, husband is an Apple-addict, and I run Ubuntu on my machines), then hang up.
    I usually hung up while they were still talking about the virus message they received form "our main computer".
    I don't think any of us here will ever be able to discourage them from ringing again, unfortunately there's a huge mass of computer-illiterates out there who will fall for this scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

go Liam Neeson on their ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Make pig noises at them, that gets at them for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Jester252 wrote: »
    go Liam Neeson on their ass

Look 2 posts up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement