Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOW CARB diet - anyone having success? I am feeling tired and weak :( suggestions?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Everyone,

I could not find a low carb thread that has been done recently! I have been on the low carb diet a week so far and I have already noticed weight loss. I am 5'9 a size 10-12 trying to get down to a dress size 8.

I work out for a half hour before work and after work doing interval training.

I eat 4-6 times a day sticking my carbs to 30g max which I plan to continue unless the bulk of fat has shifted then I will raise the carbs a bit.I do not crave carbs so much anymore which is great, but it is hard to vary my diet I find.

But I am feeling rather weak at times, in particular the morning and when I work out, and hungry which I shouldn't be right? Any one else have this problem? Any suggestions? How is everyone else getting on with a low carb diet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

LynseyH wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I could not find a low carb thread that has been done recently! I have been on the low carb diet a week so far and I have already noticed weight loss. I am 5'9 a size 10-12 trying to get down to a dress size 8.

I work out for a half hour before work and after work doing interval training.

The weight loss you have observed is mostly water/glycogen loss since you are limiting your carbs.

Not everyone does well on low carb diet but if you decide to stick with it you should place your carbs around your workout times and cut them out from other meals. Especially if your workout is moderate/intense and you used to eat loads of carbs you will notice loss of energy.
    I eat 4-6 times a day sticking my carbs to 30g max which I plan to continue unless the bulk of fat has shifted then I will raise the carbs a bit.I do not crave carbs so much anymore which is great, but it is hard to vary my diet I find.

Also there is no benefit from physiological point of view to eating 6 meals a day. I personally would find it hard to have 6 snacks instead of 3-4 meals.
    But I am feeling rather weak at times, in particular the morning and when I work out, and hungry which I shouldn't be right? Any one else have this problem? Any suggestions? How is everyone else getting on with a low carb diet?

If you are in caloric deficit you will feel hungry at times. Make sure you include fibrous veggies in your diet and drink plenty of water to suppress hunger. You may want to check your kcal intake to make sure you're actually not eating too less.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LynseyH

muffinn wrote: »
    The weight loss you have observed is mostly water/glycogen loss since you are limiting your carbs.

Not everyone does well on low carb diet but if you decide to stick with it you should place your carbs around your workout times and cut them out from other meals. Especially if your workout is moderate/intense and you used to eat loads of carbs you will notice loss of energy.

Also there is no benefit from physiological point of view to eating 6 meals a day. I personally would find it hard to have 6 snacks instead of 3-4 meals.

If you are in caloric deficit you will feel hungry at times. Make sure you include fibrous veggies in your diet and drink plenty of water to suppress hunger. You may want to check your kcal intake to make sure you're actually not eating too less.

I think you are probably right about when I eat my carbs! I eat six meals but they are not snacks they are meals and I do so to fuel my body so it does not go into starvation mode. I think my body has not adjusted yet but hoping it will soon because I want to push my workouts especially!

I think you are probably right about when I eat my carbs! I eat six meals but they are not snacks they are meals and I do so to fuel my body so it does not go into starvation mode. I think my body has not adjusted yet but hoping it will soon because I want to push my workouts especially!

There is a lot of misconceptions about when and why human body goes into starvation mode. To keep it short, you would have to not eat for weeks for your metabolism to slow down to a great extent.

Eating carbs when your body needs it makes sense. You will get an extra energy kick so you can make sure that your workout wont be affected by lack of energy and later cut the carbs out to fit your daily macros.

After all most of the fat burns when your at rest and especially not during moderate/high intensity workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Don't worry about starvation mode. Broscience really so there's no need to divide your meals into six.

With that little carbs you'll go into ketosis. At the beginning this gives some people lethargy (probably what you're experiencing) because of the phase before you start using your own fat stores for energy, but are down on energy you previously got from carbs in your diet.

One relief for this is coconut oil. The structure of this type of fat is very similar to the ketones used during ketosis.

I find it works quite well as a sweetener in coffee. Also good for cooking bacon/eggs. Gives an unusual but nice twist to a fry. Some people like to eat it on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

OP are you taking any vitamin supplements? Some people who experience Low energy on low carb diets find a good supplement really helps.

IMO the best diet of all is Pat Holford's Low carb GL diet, it has worked wonders for me over the years and found myself to be full of energy immediately. Can't recommend it enough.

http://patrickholford.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I have read that many people fail at low carb diets because they are keeping their carbs too low especially in the beginning.
    It would be better to increase your carbs by a little for a few more days and sticking to your food plan rather than enforcing a plan you can not stick to.
    You need to find the right amount of carbs for you and not what you think is the right amount. The right amount is one where you will achieve/maintain weight loss, which ever is the one you desire and that you will feel good.
    Check out this site for more info.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

As said above, if you keep carbs that low then you will go into ketosis. What you're experiencing is known as "keto flu". You'll feel pretty ****ty for a few days while your body makes the transition from using glucose as energy to using ketones. I had the exact same thing but after you push through that, you'll actually have a lot more energy than before.

Another thing may be that although you have decreased your carb intake severely, have you upped your fat intake accordingly? In order for your low carb diet to work, you must get a lot more fat into you. I've been doing keto for about 2 months now and 60% of my calories come from fat, 5% from carbs. Use myfitnesspal to track all your food, you'll soon see whether or not you're getting enough fat into your diet. I promise you that it will work if done properly. I find this section on Reddit to be a huge source of inspiration, information, recipes and more.

dorgasm wrote: »
    As said above, if you keep carbs that low then you will go into ketosis. What you're experiencing is known as "keto flu". You'll feel pretty ****ty for a few days while your body makes the transition from using glucose as energy to using ketones. I had the exact same thing but after you push through that, you'll actually have a lot more energy than before.

Another thing may be that although you have decreased your carb intake severely, have you upped your fat intake accordingly? In order for your low carb diet to work, you must get a lot more fat into you. I've been doing keto for about 2 months now and 60% of my calories come from fat, 5% from carbs. Use myfitnesspal to track all your food, you'll soon see whether or not you're getting enough fat into your diet. I promise you that it will work if done properly. I find this section on Reddit to be a huge source of inspiration, information, recipes and more.

Ketosis can give great results in a short period but is pretty extreme and if used long term can cause harm to your body. Personally I wouldn't seek to use it as other methods and techniques can provide less extreme, more sustainable results.

Ketosis can give great results in a short period but is pretty extreme and if used long term can cause harm to your body. Personally I wouldn't seek to use it as other methods and techniques can provide less extreme, more sustainable results.

I think you are slightly exaggerating, ketogenic diet has been and still is used with a success to treat epilepsy in children with very little adverse effects.

I agree though that there really is no need for ketosis in an 'average' person who wants to lose weight. Unless you are extremaly lean to start with and want to get those vains poping out everywhere, there is plenty of other efficient methods out there.

I think you are slightly exaggerating, ketogenic diet has been and still is used with a success to treat epilepsy in children with very little adverse effects.

I agree though that there really is no need for ketosis in an 'average' person who wants to lose weight. Unless you are extremaly lean to start with and want to get those vains poping out everywhere, there is plenty of other efficient methods out there.

Two very different things there, Using Ketotis to treat epilepsy is a medical application (although I've not heard of it before) and is presumably done under medical supervision.

Using Ketosis for weight loss however is different. I'm not suggesting its unsafe only that for most people not necessary and there is evidence to suggest that if used for prolonged periods it can negatively affect organ function. Need to shed a few pounds to fit into your good suit before your wedding in 6 weeks? Atkins all the way.

Looking to loose greater amounts of weight and change your life style? Find a programme that suits you, puts your body under less pressure and is more sustainable.

• Advertisement

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    Don't worry about starvation mode. Broscience really so there's no need to divide your meals into six.

With that little carbs you'll go into ketosis. At the beginning this gives some people lethargy (probably what you're experiencing) because of the phase before you start using your own fat stores for energy, but are down on energy you previously got from carbs in your diet.

One relief for this is coconut oil. The structure of this type of fat is very similar to the ketones used during ketosis.

I find it works quite well as a sweetener in coffee. Also good for cooking bacon/eggs. Gives an unusual but nice twist to a fry. Some people like to eat it on its own.

I have looked for coconut oil but could not find at my local, do you have to get it from a health food supplier?

OP are you taking any vitamin supplements? Some people who experience Low energy on low carb diets find a good supplement really helps.

IMO the best diet of all is Pat Holford's Low carb GL diet, it has worked wonders for me over the years and found myself to be full of energy immediately. Can't recommend it enough.

http://patrickholford.com/

Thanks very much Ill check it out :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I have looked for coconut oil but could not find at my local, do you have to get it from a health food supplier?

You can buy it in Dunnes. Its not in a liquid form. It's it a jar.

Daisy M wrote: »
    I have read that many people fail at low carb diets because they are keeping their carbs too low especially in the beginning.
    It would be better to increase your carbs by a little for a few more days and sticking to your food plan rather than enforcing a plan you can not stick to.
    You need to find the right amount of carbs for you and not what you think is the right amount. The right amount is one where you will achieve/maintain weight loss, which ever is the one you desire and that you will feel good.
    Check out this site for more info.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

Yes your right, I have dropped my carbs so low to bring my body into ketosis so I can get down to my right weight. I hope it wont be long then once I am lean and start building muscle I will increase my carbs a bit more! I do not planning im eating below 30g for too long!

+1

Real quality stuff, unrefined coconut oil with strong coconut aroma and half the price they ask in health shops.

Yes I am eating lots of fats, but I reckon I could eat more especially in the morning I tend to eat carbs! Thanks for the tip Ill check that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Thanks, have been looking for this and ended up buying it from myprotein website. Dunnes next time!

One thing i found useful was to add beans to the diet, slow burning carbs basically and lower calories per serving compared to rice etc. Helps keep the hunger off for longer also. (if you are getting Baked Beans get the ones with NO Sugar added, mixed beans etc are fine). Once things level out you can reduce the beans intake or cut them out completely if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Col_Loki wrote: »
    Thanks, have been looking for this and ended up buying it from myprotein website. Dunnes next time!

One thing i found useful was to add beans to the diet, slow burning carbs basically and lower calories per serving compared to rice etc. Helps keep the hunger off for longer also. (if you are getting Baked Beans get the ones with NO Sugar added, mixed beans etc are fine). Once things level out you can reduce the beans intake or cut them out completely if need be.

Kidney beans FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

how much is it in dunnes? I've been buying coconut oil in local health shop for over 6eur a jar. :mad: I love that stuff, I could eat it on it's own if it wasn't so high in calories.

I think its about 5e.

I've seen it in the Asian shops as well for cheaper.

• Advertisement

j@utis wrote: »
    how much is it in dunnes? I've been buying coconut oil in local health shop for over 6eur a jar. :mad: I love that stuff, I could eat it on it's own if it wasn't so high in calories.
    I think its about 5e.

I've seen it in the Asian shops as well for cheaper.

Yeah it is around €5 in Dunnes but keep in mind its 500ml jar. Jar of similar size in health shops is easy around €12.

The only coconut oil I have seen in Asian shops was this:

106314.jpg

Big disappointment, completely odourless, my bet is that this stuff is refined.

Yeh muffinn that's the one I saw.

I'll stick to the one in Dunnes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Yeah it is around €5 in Dunnes but keep in mind its 500ml jar. Jar of similar size in health shops is easy around €12.

106314.jpg

That's what I'm using to fry chicken hearts in

voo doo

and liver of all kinds

rocky wrote: »
    That's what I'm using to fry chicken hearts in

voo doo

and liver of all kinds

When it comes to frying refined oils are preferable to unrefined oils. I would probably use this one as well if I was to fry something.

106314.jpg

Bought a small bottle of that. SO disappointed :( Odourless and completely tasteless. Thought it was going to go nice with a coffee but nope, it just put a greasy film on top, avoid at all costs.

Bought a small bottle of that. SO disappointed :( Odourless and completely tasteless. Thought it was going to go nice with a coffee but nope, it just put a greasy film on top, avoid at all costs.

Look for this in Dunnes:

cocowel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

thanks, will pay a visit to dunnes some time only to buy this ;)

Look for this in Dunnes:

cocowel.jpg

Bought this in SuperValu Midleton tonight because I was so utterly disappointed with the other crap I bought. This is the absolute business :) €5.99 for 500ml, it's soooooo nice too, took a spoon of it while it was hard before my run tonight, still tasted lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

Yeh muffinn that's the one I saw.

I'll stick to the one in Dunnes. :)

is it available in all dunnes? i checked 2 different dunnes with no luck:(

• Advertisement

Is has it in all the Dunne's in Galway so I presumed so.

Where are you looking ?

Advertisement