Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Idol 2013 Season 12

Options
  • 16-07-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 86,266 ✭✭✭✭

Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler not returning, so who will be the new judges now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mariah Carey is in as a new judge and Brad Paisley could be next

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Channel 5* have announced that the twelfth season of American Idol will be premiered on Thursday 17th January at 8 pm.

So, will anyone be watching? I reckon it will be worth it, just to see the sparks fly between the judges this year! Apparantly Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey feckin' hate each other. It'll be fun watching poor Randy and Nicole Kidman's husband trying to keep the peace between those two!

Hopefully it'll be better than last year, when the Scott McDreary inexplicably won it.

Edit: Or was it that Phillip guy who won last year? Honestly can't remember :/

Channel 5* have announced that the twelfth season of American Idol will be premiered on Thursday 17th January at 8 pm.

So, will anyone be watching? I reckon it will be worth it, just to see the sparks fly between the judges this year! Apparantly Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey feckin' hate each other. It'll be fun watching poor Randy and Nicole Kidman's husband trying to keep the peace between those two!

Hopefully it'll be better than last year, when the Scott McDreary inexplicably won it.

Edit: Or was it that Phillip guy who won last year? Honestly can't remember :/

Philip Philips won last year

Are TV3 or 3e going to show it also?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Philip Philips won last year

Are TV3 or 3e going to show it also?

I don't think so. Can't find a mention of it anywhere anyway.

Is anyone watching this?

I have been a regular viewer of American Idol for the past few years, generally stopping towards the end - usually due to boredom. Over the past few years, it has been degrading but still kept with it.

However, this year I find it unwatchable and this is mainly due to the hosts - primarily this Nicki Minaj idiot. I have thankfully never listened to any of her music and have never paid any attention to her.

Almost everything about her annoys me; she admitted that she said no to someone in an audition because they wore the same mascara as her.

Has anyone else got any opinions on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Is anyone watching this?

I have been a regular viewer of American Idol for the past few years, generally stopping towards the end - usually due to boredom. Over the past few years, it has been degrading but still kept with it.

However, this year I find it unwatchable and this is mainly due to the hosts - primarily this Nicki Minaj idiot. I have thankfully never listened to any of her music and have never paid any attention to her.

Almost everything about her annoys me; she admitted that she said no to someone in an audition because they wore the same mascara as her.

Has anyone else got any opinions on this?

I agree with every word of this. Definitely unwatchable. Can't stand Nicki Minaj. She is like either a stuffed doll or an alien. Definitely not human! Looking at her is a total distraction. How bad can it get?

I don't think so. Can't find a mention of it anywhere anyway.

Started last Sunday on TV3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Really fucking terrible.

The panel is so bad. I thought the X-factor US panel had no chemistry but these guys are just taken the p!ss. Randy Jackson has become very predictable, the Australian guy is very underwhelming & then you have the other two idiots.

Sobs stories included - "I have a broken leg and I need surgery", "My house blew down in a storm", "One of my Grandparents died (probably about 5 years ago) & I want to make them proud" & "My Grandmother is a fucking nutcase who needs to be put into a nursing home pronto." - And I only caught the last hour of the show.

The sneak preview for next week shows them on some boat that low & behold runs into some sort of catastrophe. I have 3 different theories on how they'll play it out.

1. They'll go with a Titanic styled theme & hit an ice-berg

2. They go with a Jaws theme were a shark is trying to sink the boat.

3. A Terminator theme were an evil Terminator is sent back from the future to kill Niki Minaj.

In spite of everything, I watched last night's show. So unbelievably bad! Nicki Minaj is a liability. What's with all of these weird hat ensembles. :eek: She is such a notice box and drama queen. Bring back Sharon Osbourne. At least she has some valuable experience in the business, is kind to the contestants and has some valuable opinions.

Some of the contestants have good voices but, mostly, I hate the American spin they put on the songs.

Hopefully, when the final twelve are picked, things will start to improve.

Watching Nicki Minaj, I am reminded of this wonderful quote from God Bless America -

"I would defend their freedom of speech if I thought it was in jeopardy. I would defend their freedom of speech to tell uninspired, bigoted, blowjob, gay-bashing, racist and rape jokes all under the guise of being edgy, but that's not the edge. That's what sells. They couldn't possibly pander any harder or be more commercially mainstream, because this is the "Oh no, you didn't say that!" generation, where a shocking comment has more weight than the truth. No one has any shame anymore, and we're supposed to celebrate it."

She is probably the worst of the "Oh no, you didn't say that!" generation and you'd wonder why on Earth anyone would want to give her any screentime?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Captain Beyond

Why is Nicki a judge?!?! She doesn't have a voice.

I'm on my own so cause I like Nicki as a judge :o

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm on my own so cause I like Nicki as a judge :o

How?

How?

I find her entertaining way more so than Mariah Carey and yes I know she is crazy and OTT :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres too many oddballs on that show e.g. Papa Peaches.

As I predicted, it's starting to improve, now the semi-finalists have been chosen. Even Nicki Minaj is starting to grow on me! LOL!

There were a couple of final decisions that I did not expect. 1) The young 15 -year old guy, who is autistic, has been kept in. I thought they would let him go at the last minute. 2) The butch(?) hyperactive lady was thrown out in the end. I know she did not have a voice and admitted she was only in there because her "mother loves the show". Nevertheless, I thought they would keep her in for entertainment value. Nice trick at the end offering her a "job" backstage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

TV3e now .anybody watching? Two poor singers, last girl,(dont know her name,only saw 3 singers so far,)was fantastic.Rachel who just sang was out of tune and not good.What are the judges going on about ,she was bad:(

WOW!! Zoanette, fantastic, brilliant singer and entertainer, watch out Tina Turner!!:)

So the right 5 girls through so far, now for the lads. Vincent is the biz, real SOUL:cool: singer:) Nick is very strong too.Josh, sang his own song, good. Brunel unique pleasant voice. Cortez, WOW!! sexy,gorgeous,and can he sing mmm:D Sooo, as I'm all alone watching and the judges have decided,I agree with 4 of their picks,Lazaro ain't going nowhere. I missed the other 5 girls and guys already picked,
    looking forward to knockout rounds.Annoying as Nikki is, at least she says it like it is(mostly).to be contd.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

I'm not getting the hype about Zoanette at all. Her voice is only average to me and she seems a total attention seeker. Only agreed with 3 out of 5 of the girls. They let a couple of good people go I think.

The boys were mostly spot on. Wasn't too pushed whether Nick went through or not but the others were great who got through.

Nicki is very annoying but is honest at least. Can do without seeing Mariah's boobs for a while. Put them away love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Burnell Taylor is AMAZING!! OMG I can't express how good he is!! LOVE him! :)

Well I'm probably watching again on my own, missed Zoanette,apparently she bombed (said judges).Bree impressive visually and vocally. Janelle great singer, echoes of a country Connie Francis. Angie Miller: brilliant, natural raw talent, Amber:beautiful voice, Kree:another great country sound singer.And then came Candice,WOW!,a Real treat! she's a modern day mix of Ella and Aretha and best of all herself.

**POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!! I'm watching at American pace!!**

Have to say, this is the strongest group of girls I think I've ever seen on Idol. Kree is my favourite - she's just amazing. I'd be extremely surprised if a girl doesn't win this year (about time too!)

Can't say any of the boys do it for me so much, though Burnell is very good - I could see him going far. Personally, I would have preferred to see Elijah go through over Lazaro, who I think is very overrated vocally. I think his backstory kept him in the competition, rather than his voice. Also, Cortez should have gone through instead of Paul Jolley.

Anyway my bet for final two would be Angela Miller Vs Kree Harrison. Come on the girls!

I agree the girls are far stronger than the guys this year. I think about 7 of them deserved to go through. Glad Zoanette is gone. She did my head in. Thought they would have put through a couple of wild cards from the girls. Didn't they have a final 13 in the past and they're only putting through 10 this year.

I really like Amber. She has an unreal voice. Probably the only one I'd disagree with would be Paul Jolley going through ahead of Vincent.

Wasn't sure what the story with Charlie was crying. Does he suffer from depression?

Has to be a girl that wins it this year.

unichick wrote: »

Wasn't sure what the story with Charlie was crying. Does he suffer from depression?

Has to be a girl that wins it this year.

Charlie has some form of autism, I forget how it was described when he was first introduced. He is very emotionally unstable, and has communication issues, so it seems.

I have questioned the wisdom of allowing him to go forward from way back - not because he has autism, but because he is emotionally so fragile. He is very talented musically, but his ability to express himself through his songs is very erratic.

He explained his weird rendition of his last song, which did not go down well with the judges, as "I just wanted to vent!".

I was not impressed by Nicki's comments to a young emotionally fragile boy. Part of his problem with communication is he takes language very literally and doesn't understand the subtle nuances of meaning in simple sayings. Things like "I want to have your baby!" to a 15-year-old is not appropriate for a judge IMO. [Not sure if she said that to him, but she has said it to other young boys on the show.]

I agree - the girls are way ahead of the boys this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sorry to come across as an American Idol basher but compared to X Factor Usa its boring.

The auditions were ok to watch but the Hollywood and Vegas heats are way to dragged out.

The British and American X Factor are a hundred times more enjoyable to watch.

I agree the final selection was very dragged out and very little in it. Hopefully, it will start to pick up from now on.

Surprised at who went in American Idol but the guys are a lot weaker than the girls so it could have been any of them that went home.

My favourite is Amber. Her voice reminds me so much of Whitney. It's so effortless with her. Can't believe she wasn't in the top 3. I guess Americans like country singers so Cree got in.

I can't understand why Paul Jolley has made it this far. His performance was very karaoke in my opinion.

Agree with what you say, Unichick.

I see Charlie is back again in a vote to get into the Tour Group. This, IMO, was his best performance to date. He's obvioulsy better doing his own compositions and playing his own accompaniment. He really is very talented. I will be surprised if he does not make it this time.

• Advertisement

unichick wrote: »
    Surprised at who went in American Idol but the guys are a lot weaker than the girls so it could have been any of them that went home.

My favourite is Amber. Her voice reminds me so much of Whitney. It's so effortless with her. Can't believe she wasn't in the top 3. I guess Americans like country singers so Cree got in.

I can't understand why Paul Jolley has made it this far. His performance was very karaoke in my opinion.

Kree fully deserved that spot. She's something else. I agree Amber has a very good voice, but we've seen the Whitney thing so many times on these shows. I honestly think Kree has something very special, apart from the usual country singers (I'd say the blonde country singer is the more typical contestant from this genre) I think she has far more depth and originality to her style than just country.

Saying that, the night belonged to Candice. That was easily one of the best performances I've ever seen on Idol.

I agree with you about Paul Jolley though. I don't think either he or Lazaro should have made the live shows at all.

Advertisement