Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nobodys perfect.

• 16-07-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭

So why do we give criminals such a hard time.They should do the time of course but often they are victims of circumstance as well.A lot of us might do the same in thier shoes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Nobodys perfect.

Pfffft.... speak for yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Serious lack of good trolls in AH these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

kneemos wrote: »
    So why do we give criminals such a hard time.They should do the time of course but often they are victims of circumstance as well.A lot of us might do the same in thier shoes.

Fess up OP. Were you naughty over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Pobody's nerfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Not true, a lot of us wouldn't go around stabbing people at a concert, a lot of us wouldn't rob cars to use for burglaries, a lot of us wouldn't sell drugs, a lot of us wouldn't murder our mothers partner and then cut off his head.

You're wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In before every someone unleshes the pinko, liberal, bleeding heart, PC rhetoric. And Bill O'Reilly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If anything thing they're not given a hard enough time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    In before every someone unleshes the pinko, liberal, bleeding heart, PC rhetoric. And Bill O'Reilly.

Man Fcuk Bill O'Reilly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Yes your right
    because when a person rapes a women and does the time
    of course hes a victim because of his mental state, we should all feel sorry for the criminal who raped a women
    same if a person shoots another person killing that person
    we should still feel sorry for that murderer because hes a victim because he wasnt in his right mind when killing the other person.
    Nobodys perfect
    but still theirs more people who are not perfect and not killing/raping/abusing anyone then their are killing/raping/abusing anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Cultural relavitism - the foe of individual responsibility and critical thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

krudler wrote: »
    Serious lack of good trolls in AH these days.

victims of circumstance really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

if given the chance i would shoot everyone of you who looked at me cock-eyed.

and whats al this crap about tolerance and forgiveness i hear all the time, what a load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Do we give criminals a hard time? In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

allibastor wrote: »
    if given the chance i would shoot everyone of you who looked at me cock-eyed.

and whats al this crap about tolerance and forgiveness i hear all the time, what a load.

What if the person had a lazy eye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cultural relavitism - the foe of individual responsibility and critical thought.

Did'nt say it was acceptable, I said they should do time.

Lumbo wrote: »

well, now, i don't know if i would be able to medically examine him at the time, though best to be safe and not sorry and shoot him anyway. i don't buy into this whole what-if thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah, if only they didn't break into someone's house / shop, hold up a securtiy team transferring money, deal drugs they'd be fine standing memebers of soceity, but because they found themselves in such circumstances...

No wait sorry, but because they were found by others to be envolved in such activities, we give them a hard time. If there's 1 thing I don't like it's being inconvienced by others. And has happened to me too much by bikes being knicked when I was younger and parts off my bikes being knicked over the last few years. If you are going to be such a pain in the arse to soceity, expect soceity to be a pain in the arse to you, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

AH trolling is a lost art.

Ms.M wrote: »
    Do we give criminals a hard time? In what way?

If society regards you as a scumbag and a lowlife you don't have much to live up to .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If society regards you as a scumbag and a lowlife you don't have much to live up to .

I form my opinion based on how one presents themselves. If they are to act as a scumbag and a lowlife, then I'll consider them as such. I'm fairly sure that'd be how most people take to it as well.

• Advertisement

I form my opinion based on how one presents themselves. If they are to act as a scumbag and a lowlife, then I'll consider them as such. I'm fairly sure that'd be how most people take to it as well.

Thus perpetuating the problem.

Thus perpetuating the problem.

Only if you completely missunderstood what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Your right OP!! At long last we have someone who is prepared to speak out against the injustice against the lawless minority!!

Lets start by giving them free housing....free medical care...free money...free travel....no jail sentences....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

In keeping with the OP's tone, I'd just like to state that I'm unemployed, I've no intention of getting a job (sure why would I?) as I can live very comfortably on state benefits and take a couple of holidays a year all thanks to you, the tax payer.

Next trolling thread please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

saiint wrote: »
    Yes your right
    because when a person rapes a women and does the time
    of course hes a victim because of his mental state, we should all feel sorry for the criminal who raped a women
    same if a person shoots another person killing that person
    we should still feel sorry for that murderer because hes a victim because he wasnt in his right mind when killing the other person.
    Nobodys perfect
    but still theirs more people who are not perfect and not killing/raping/abusing anyone then their are killing/raping/abusing anyone

Rape and murder do not make anything near the majority of crimes committed they are very much minority crimes.
    So basing how we deal with criminals and citing these as examples of criminality to justify your point is well pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 erin1977

Lumbo wrote: »

Or cross eyed?? Better hope he doesn't run across any visually impaired folks! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well it really does depend on what the crime is to be honest, and if it's done a numerous amount of times. I don't really care a lot for "social circumstance" in cases of major or full-time crime, it's just bullshit excuses.

I think if society embraced criminals rather than shunning them we would get a better result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I think if society embraced criminals rather than shunning them we would get a better result.

If I broke into your house and beat your wife/girlfriend/mother and stabbed you in the leg, would give me a hug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

That's a pretty meaningless statement. What do you mean exactly, in practical terms by embracing them, and then getting a better result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 erin1977

Makes me want to go out and snuggle a pedophile!!

Bad Panda wrote: »
    If I broke into your house and beat your wife/girlfriend/mother and stabbed you in the leg, would give me a hug?

As I said in my op I would lock you up.

erin1977 wrote: »
    Or cross eyed?? Better hope he doesn't run across any visually impaired folks! lol

better not.just in keeping the general non-sense of the thread and all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I think society is mixed up, imo the criminals ( big time one's ) are the smart ones, we are the stupid ones.

Think about it, we work hard all our lives, pay tax for a house the size of shoebox, lucky if we have €100 to spend at the weekend, tied down to the man and the law and on the radar.

At least criminals don't work, don't pay tax, stick their fingers up at "the man" and the good ones have more cash than you will see in your lifetime.

So ask yourself, who are the real fools

Think for youself people, don't be sheep, don't think or be what society wants you to be.

Personally I wish I was a criminal, a big one though, like Gilligan or The General

my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The majority of people who come before the courts more than once are regular offenders who keep committing crimes and keep getting away with it just because they are all apparently victims of such "circumstance". Sometimes a scumbag is just a scumbag.

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    That's a pretty meaningless statement. What do you mean exactly, in practical terms by embracing them, and then getting a better result?

Mental illness is huge issue amongst criminals.That could be dealt with much more effectively.Also self policing is not impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The majority of people who come before the courts more than once are regular offenders who keep committing crimes and keep getting away with it just because they are all apparently victims of such "circumstance". Sometimes a scumbag is just a scumbag.

So your a proponent of Cesare Lombroso then.
    Should we just go back to measuring skulls to see who is a scumbag who is not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bad Panda wrote: »

A bear hug

If you think what we are doing at the moment is working then there is no need to change.

Self policing works among Irish football fans,it has also worked in Dublin in moving out drug dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

dan1895 wrote: »
    If anything thing they're not given a hard enough time

Winner.

Criminals just keep on committing crimes because they know if they get caught the punishment is a joke....

in this country that is.

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Winner.

Criminals just keep on committing crimes because they know if they get caught the punishment is a joke....

in this country that is.

You get your hands cut off in some countries but people still steal.How harsh do you want to go.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

HOLD ON A MIN

Rant mode on

A study was done in New Zeland (i think) where they studied a group of indivuadles from birth to there 20's and they could ididentifie a genetic mutation - an abnormal gene - which did have a strong relation to the predisposition to commit violence but only if the individual had also been subjected to sever child abuse.

In other words a child with this abnormal gene whould be no more likely to be violent than people with normal genes as long as they weren't abused as children.

I am not saying that violence in genetic. That is silly. I am saying that there is a genetic contribution to how an organism responds to enviroment.

So if you accept this you begin to realise that when a terrible crime is commited that it is generaly that fault of society. (where society is the enviroment that the child grew up in)

In my view that is two types of crinimals:
    !st = ones that do something 'bad' in the heat of the moment.
    2nd = And ones that will continously do bad things

1st
    There was a case resenctly enough (wont say names) where a man murdered a women he was having an affair with. Now while that is terrible and makes me sick it also has to be said that he thought that she was going to come out and tell everyone about it. He acted in self interested. He stood to loose his wife and kids. Now while i am not condoning anything and he done an truly terrible thing he still was in an horrible choice.
    It is easy for us to take the morral high ground when we were never faced with a chooice like that. However it has to be said he had no history or violence and would likly never commite a crime again. He done a terrible thing, yes, but was a victim of circumstance.

2nd
    Watched a documentry recently about the prison system in america (will have a look for it now). There was one person in there who had raped and tourchered and murdered lots of people. Really really horrible to hear aboout it. But then the presenter started asking him about his past and he told them he was in and out of jail/young offenders since he was 11 (ish forget exatly). He was also abused as a child by his patents. When you look at it like that we (being society) failed that young person. He was raised wrong and society ****ed up. he should have been taken aside as a teenager and thought properly instead of left where he was where small crimes slowly became bigger and bigger until he was raping and murdering people.

No one is born 'bad'. Anyone who becomes 'bad' it is the fault/ faliours of society that ultamatly lead them to becoming bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

You get your hands cut off in some countries but people still steal.How harsh do you want to go.?

harsh enough so that the punishment is actually a discouragement to doing the same thing again.

right now its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you think what we are doing at the moment is working then there is no need to change.

The problem is that what we do doesn't work, so people wnat to do it more! Jail doesn't work? Build more jails! :confused:
    HOLD ON A MIN

Rant mode on

A study was done in New Zeland (i think) where they studied a group of indivuadles from birth to there 20's and they could ididentifie a genetic mutation - an abnormal gene - which did have a strong relation to the predisposition to commit violence but only if the individual had also been subjected to sever child abuse.

In other words a child with this abnormal gene whould be no more likely to be violent than people with normal genes as long as they weren't abused as children.

I am not saying that violence in genetic. That is silly. I am saying that there is a genetic contribution to how an organism responds to enviroment.

So if you accept this you begin to realise that when a terrible crime is commited that it is generaly that fault of society. (where society is the enviroment that the child grew up in)

1st
    There was a case resenctly enough (wont say names) where a man murdered a women he was having an affair with. Now while that is terrible and makes me sick it also has to be said that he thought that she was going to come out and tell everyone about it. He acted in self interested. He stood to loose his wife and kids. Now while i am not condoning anything and he done an truly terrible thing he still was in an horrible choice.
    It is easy for us to take the morral high ground when we were never faced with a chooice like that. However it has to be said he had no history or violence and would likly never commite a crime again. He done a terrible thing, yes, but was a victim of circumstance.

2nd
    Watched a documentry recently about the prison system in america (will have a look for it now). There was one person in there who had raped and tourchered and murdered lots of people. Really really horrible to hear aboout it. But then the presenter started asking him about his past and he told them he was in and out of jail/young offenders since he was 11 (ish forget exatly). He was also abused as a child by his patents. When you look at it like that we (being society) failed that young person. He was raised wrong and society ****ed up. he should have been taken aside as a teenager and thought properly instead of left where he was where small crimes slowly became bigger and bigger until he was raping and murdering people.

No one is born 'bad'. Anyone who becomes 'bad' it is the fault/ faliours of society that ultamatly lead them to becoming bad.

I think some people are born with or find it hard to develpp a sense of right and wrong, but it is rare. The problem is that it's soooo easy just to attach that label to everyone who commits a crime. Far easier than to take a step back, do some research, and actually find otu what the root causes of crime actually are.

No way in hell people are going to be able to solve a problem without understandign the problem. And the majority of people who knee-jerk have absolutel no idea what the probelm is and absolutely no interest or effort is made in finding out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We don't give them a hard enough time;that's why we have so many .Siberia for a year would knock the guff out of them .Not those holiday camps .

paddyandy wrote: »
    We don't give them a hard enough time;that's why we have so many .Siberia for a year would knock the guff out of them .Not those holiday camps .

Giving them a harder time is defently not the right thing to do. Please read my post on prevouse page. Actully no. I will get it for you.
    HOLD ON A MIN

Rant mode on

1st

2nd

Giving them a harder time is not going to slove anything

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is no crime in some parts of the world because they don't tolerate it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I think is well documented by now that the conditions in Mountjoy are an absolute disgrace. Overcrowding, sleeping on filthy floors, "slopping out" and son are simply unacceptable in the year 2012. Yes these guys are criminals but they are still people and we must treat them with at least a certain amount of respect and dignity.

paddyandy wrote: »
    There is no crime in some parts of the world because they don't tolerate it .

There is no crime in some parts of the world becouse people are brought up in a an enviroment which also has no crime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement