Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that book/series

Options
  • 16-07-2012 10:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, my time to ask the community for help on identifying a book. This one I bought second hand but lost when moving shortly after reading it.

The story is about a man moved a new world in his sleep. After being captured and brought to town he start out as an apprentice to an apothocary collecting body parts from hanged people.

He later moves up and becomes a soldier to fight for the princess honor. The princess (two of them, the elder one has a scar on her cheek from a dog like race that assault her and she mental problems as well) needs a cure that he goes out to find.

As he's out marching he's with an army and as he's forming up with his company he's taking a Vanguard position in a reversed V formation to split the enemy army charging them (anyone in the vanguard that survive gets promoted one rank automatically); He ends up with two or three rank promotion due to not being liked. The people in the army he's with claims that the body holds the soul to the earth and when they die their souls will thank their killer for letting them go. I believe it was described as they were hanging on to the neck of the person and he sees a few souls being released.

As the Vanguard forms up the champion (who scarred the elder princess on the cheek) calls out for a champion to face him. The challenge is accepted to buy time for the (good guys) army, the first challenger is slaughtered quickly and he steps up to avenge the princess. He slaughters the champion and cuts the head off and bark at it/the moon scaring the living daylight out of both armies (hence his quicker promotion as no squad leader wants him in their squad). This routes the enemy army and his army manages to survive.

He manages to come to a place where he gets 1 wish and he wishes to cure what ails the princess the most which turned to be her scar on the cheek and not her mental illness which cause a fall out between the two due to pride.

Not the most coherent post I know but I do remember that the one book did not "end" properly and hence I'm suspsecting it as a series. I got a vague collecting of a city on the front page with a knight but that could be wrong.

Comments

Advertisement