Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woods that are suitable for dog walking

• 16-07-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Can you recommend woods that have decent trails, no bikers and are suitable for dogs - preferably where they can be let off the leash?

Thanks in advance.

CC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,424 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Devils Glen in Ashford

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Redmala

Glenart in Arklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Djouce. Great place for 'OTLE's - 'Off the Lead Experiences'.

Also woods outside Newtownmountkennedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Still my favourite is avondale, start in rathdrum in heather wool yard and walk up the river to the bottom of avondale, then you can have a 1 to 3 hour walk and rarely meet anyone, no farm animals, always have my dog off lead up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Keep your dog on a leash.

For off leash walking, go to a park where they have specific dog areas.

Not everyone likes Dogs ye know. Some kids are even afraid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

gavinjc wrote: »
    Keep your dog on a leash.

For off leash walking, go to a park where they have specific dog areas.

Not everyone likes Dogs ye know. Some kids are even afraid of them.

If dogs are under control and not bothering anyone.

Kids can cry all they want.

Dogs have a right to be free as well.

Kids will have to toughen up;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

It's not the dogs that are the problem, it's their owners.

I regularly walk my under control dog off leash, respectful of other animals and people, good for dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

completely agree, dogs should be allow off the lead, they are much happier when allow to walk freely

i have 3 dogs which would be big enough and they are so friendly so I have no concerns about leaving my dogs off a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

Knocksink in enniskerry is pretty decent, Glen of the downs too

• Advertisement

Love knocksink but too busy glen of the downs ruined by traffic noise from n11 but lovely at octagon

Love knocksink but too busy glen of the downs ruined by traffic noise from n11 but lovely at octagon
    re-knocksink- not if you go up the orienteering path at the loop on the main walk- the dogs love it, lots of deer and that come that way so they can smell all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

BFDCH. wrote: »
    re-knocksink- not if you go up the orienteering path at the loop on the main walk- the dogs love it, lots of deer and that come that way so they can smell all that

Is it obvious?

Thanks for all the replies. Great county we live in :D

Just one more.....the jubilee loop in rathdrum, across famine gravyard, through millenium oak forest back along avonmore river, past magic well back to where you started, around 3 miles perfect for dogs, google for exact route, my favourite at the moment

Is it obvious?

Thanks for all the replies. Great county we live in :D
    the orienteering path?
    it is to me but i've been on it before, if you follow the normal track out of the car park as far as it goes you'll come to a clearing followed by a bridge, about 5 or 10 meters after that bridge you can either go left over a stream and back along the river bank opposite the one you just walked up or you can turn right down a track- about 20 meters down this track you can take a left up the hill, it's marked by white circles painted on trees. it's quite steep in places and there's a stream to jump but it's a good spot and the dogs will love it.

Advertisement