Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone identify this insect?

• 16-07-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

Caught this little guy in my kitchen last night. A little smaller than a 1 euro coin.

Can anyone identify it?

Cheers,

Cojack

mcyZ4.jpg

YoShQ.jpg

y3rT7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I can't be 100% sure from the photo but it may be one of the many species of Tachinidae. A fly often used by farmers to help keep down pests as it lays it's eggs on feeding insects. The reason I am not sure is that there are so many species of them.

The other possibility is that it is some form of Hover Fly, but it looks to be a bit too stout for that. Look up Vollucella zonaria as that bears a strong resemblance.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Good man/woman yourself, Hoverfly, right on the button.

Are they common in Ireland? Why would it turn up in a kitchen in south Dublin? Wiki says they are usually found in artic / nearctic regions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Hoverflies are pretty widespread, and although not as common as house flies and such can be found all over the place in one variety or another. Living in a temperate climate such as ours may allow them to appear in colder and cooler summers. Never seen one in snowy conditions myself and as they are insects I really don't expect to.

In Holland and Belgium alone over 300 species exist!. In Britain About 270 species are known at present.

This may help:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmay07/cd-hoverflies.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is Volucella pellucens

A widespread species in Ireland

Advertisement