Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks for dogs near Greystones

Options
  • 16-07-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Can you recommend areas local to Greystones that are suitable for dogs - preferably where they can be let off the leash to get a good run? The dog park in Shankhill is a bit of a drive!

Thanks in advance.

CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

For me the north beach is a definite must for off lead fun for dogs..

Otherwise there Kindelstown wood, just up the hill from the Old Delgany Inn

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=40&no_cache=1

across form that there is a lovely walk that goes behind Delgany Golf course… you just drive down the road across from Kindelstown Wood and park on the left hand side you will see the walk… its nice and long good for off lead too.

Otherwise the Greystones to Kilcoole walk… go the car park of the driving range, you will see a walk way onto the train tracks…. It’s a lovely walk, I see lots of seals here regularly.

Other excellent walks in Wicklow:

Devils Glen, the Reservoir around Round wood, Avondale House in Rathdrum (excellent for hours of off lead and swimming)!

http://www.coillte.ie/index.php?id=249

http://www.devilsglen.ie/

http://www.heritageisland.com/attractions/avondale-house-forest-park/

http://www.visitwicklow.ie/drives/vartry_reservoir_drive.htm

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

There are loads of places in every direction to bring your dogs.

As the previous poster said Kindelstown woods is good, and the place near there is called glen of the downs woods, you can also access that off the N11 southbound.

Then you could always go on the cliff walk between greystones and bray, and go up bray head too.

You could drive to kilcoole beach,about ten mins, and the walk from there southbound to the bridge/lagoon is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Wow, brilliant replies.

Cocker is the one by the golf course obvious? Is that the road that goes to Glen of the Downs golf course?

Unfortunately the cliff walk is not an option with that guy still on the loose up there. Mind you are those wood walks very secluded?

Kilcoole has been our regular haunt but there seems to be more walkers than dogs down there at the moment and I have had a few comments so I am looking for somewhere safe and where I can relax with my dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Wow, brilliant replies.

Cocker is the one by the golf course obvious? Is that the road that goes to Glen of the Downs golf course?

Unfortunately the cliff walk is not an option with that guy still on the loose up there. Mind you are those wood walks very secluded?

Kilcoole has been our regular haunt but there seems to be more walkers than dogs down there at the moment and I have had a few comments so I am looking for somewhere safe and where I can relax with my dog!

CC, the woods are pretty seculed, not in a bad way as in I do it alone with my cocker all the time, but seculed enough to let me dog off lead and he is safe from cars etc.

when you turn into the car park (its tiny) drive right to the end and there will be a walk straight infront of you (i think its has an old wheelchair sign)... if you walk straight until the path turns, the you knid of go uphill... when you get to the top of the littel hill... go right and then your on the right track to do the whole loop :D

The little road DIRECTLY accross from the eneterance to the wood leads to the other walk behind delgany gold club... its the left turn before the turn for the glen of the downs golf club.... its like an old road, drive down past the two big houses on your left and you see the walk etc.

My favourite is DEF avondale house while i know its a dtive away my dog adores it and its worth a visit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Kindlestown is manky with dog ****e, we stopped walking our dogs & kids up there because it was almost impossible not to walk in it. There are some older people who basically use it as a doggy loo and get very arsey when challenged.

Knocksink woods in Enniskerry is good for a stroll, the woods are lovely and open with plenty of deer & squirrel to go sniffing after. Normally you can head back down towards the main gate through the woods along the river gully which allows for plenty of swimming without the opportunity to abscond, but the water levels can rise quickly in the current fantastic July weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

just wondering, if you let your dog run free how do you know where it does its poo

Thanks for the tips.

bido I can only talk for myself but my dog is very "regular", trots alongside me at the beginning and then does her "business". We frequent the beach so she is always in sight and I know her routine. They've a new bin down at Kilcoole too which has improved things.

I hate the fact that I pick up after my dog yet often walk in someone else's ****e. And in my opinion the dog's muck on the pavements is an absolute disgrace and I can only assume these dogs are on a lead.

And one of the reasons I started this topic was because I am considerate of those without dogs and like to choose a suitable location for our walks.

I hope that clarifies matters bido

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

there is a spot in shankill football fields behind shanganagh cemetry that is screened off to let your dog off the leash,same in marley park

.243 wrote: »
    there is a spot in shankill football fields behind shanganagh cemetry that is screened off to let your dog off the leash,same in marley park

Yeah we used to go to the dog park at St Anne's entrance but is a lot of fuel to walk a dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Knocksink woods in Enniskerry, Devil's Glen near Ashford, Djouce Woods - any of the local Coillte sites really. They're not generally that busy and most of the other walkers tend to have dogs with them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is also the old Kilcoole-Delgany mass path. Enter one end at the 1798 memorial stone opposite the turn in to Tesco Express in Kilcoole, emerge on Farrankelly Road at the wooden stiles near the Morrissey's depot roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

recedite wrote: »
    There is also the old Kilcoole-Delgany mass path. Enter one end at the 1798 memorial stone opposite the turn in to Tesco Express in Kilcoole, emerge on Farrankelly Road at the wooden stiles near the Morrissey's depot roundabout.

I know this walk as far as Kilquade cemetary where it meets the road. Where does it continue from there?

Which bit do you know; Kilcoole end or Delgany end?

I know the Kilcoole end.

OK, turn right at the road up the hill for about 50m, say halfway to the cemetery. There's a few houses, and across the road on your left an old steel gate into an overgrown lane. Also a stone stone stile built into the wall beside the gate.
    The track bisects 2 grassy fields. At the next ploughed field, the path is in the trees on the left, but after a while you'll find they have ploughed right up to and over the path, so continue along the edge of the field. At the stream, it opens into a wide track again which comes out at the Farrankelly Rd.

If you want to go further, theres another wooden stile on the far side of Farrankelly. Turn left just inside the stile, going in Kilpedder direction parallel to the road. Cross a gate into a field and head for the big barn straight ahead. Cross two more gates onto a tarred lane. Route continues on Drummin Lane until you get to N11. Here you can go on down to Barrys Bridge and an entrance to Bellevue Woods (Glen O Downs) or else take the right up Blackberry Lane and then down to Priory Road, then on to Delgany village or Eden Gate.

A lot of these lesser used paths get fairly overgrown with nettles in late summer. If wearing long trousers you should be OK though. If too overgrown, try again later in the year when they die down. Its a "Catch 22" situation; the vegetation tends to put people off, but if more people used them, the veg would be trampled down. Good for wildlife and dogs though.

Many thanks, will try that. I drive past there every day and have never spotted it.:eek:

Recedite is that the path behind the bench opposite the fish and chip shop? I've only seen kids hanging around there so have never walked up it. Is it obvious where to go?

is that the path behind the bench opposite the fish and chip shop?
    Yes, go on up to a building called the Foresters Hall, go past it and around to the right and through a "kissing gate".
    There's an interesting old 19th C walled garden further on. The path has to go around it, and you can see where they diverted the stream into it for irrigation. Keep along the edge of the next field, and then onto a wide track leading onto the road near Kilquade, as mentioned above.

Yes, go on up to a building called the Foresters Hall, go past it and around to the right and through a "kissing gate".
    There's an interesting old 19th C walled garden further on. The path has to go around it, and you can see where they diverted the stream into it for irrigation. Keep along the edge of the next field, and then onto a wide track leading onto the road near Kilquade, as mentioned above.

Thank you so much for telling me about this walk. The Kilcoole to Kilquade section is wonderful and perfect to let a dog run. The stream was a great surprise and great for a drink for pooch!

Have to try the others out now after that gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

is that the path behind the bench opposite the fish and chip shop?
    Ahhhh....i was wondering about that stream going under that wall..

• Advertisement

Any other good ideas for walks with streams? In this weather I am trying to minimise driving. I have to say the mass path has been a firm favourite. I found the woods at Newtown are good but the walk is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Nice stream in the Glen of the downs woods - but it does require a drive and what is worrying is sometimes you will see broken glass in the carpark from cars, though I have never experienced anything myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Maudi wrote: »
    Ahhhh....i was wondering about that stream going under that wall..

That was a walled garden owned by the Holy faith nuns.
    Used to have lovely apples;) .

I see they complained recently, re the draft development plan, about the land around there being zoned for "residential institution and education" purposes, as they might want to expand into other areas of interest.
    Planners gave them short shrift anyway. The apple trees are safe.

Sadly the mass path from farankelly road dir towards kilcoole is a tad overgrown.some people having to abandon their walk.anyone know who usually keeps this lovely track open.?

Yeah, me. But its sweaty work and its been too hot this year. I've done a bit at each end, to try and encourage other people to give a hand. The middle bit is overgrown at the moment.
    Do you like the wire mesh I stapled onto the wooden stiles? They had got very slippy and I nearly broke my ar$e climbing over one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

You can access Glen of the Downs from the top, avoiding the N11. There is a lane way, Ballydonagh Lane, opposite the entrance to Kindlestown Woods car park. Follow this past the houses and there is access to Glen of the Downs on your left. Follow the path and it will bring you to the ruins at which point you can continue across the top of Glen of the Downs or turn right and walk down toward the car park where there is a refreshing stream. There isn't any parking coming in from this point other than the Kindlestown car park.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44029221@N03/4425754674/in/photostream/ (photo of ruin)

Yeah, me. But its sweaty work and its been too hot this year. I've done a bit at each end, to try and encourage other people to give a hand. The middle bit is overgrown at the moment.
    Do you like the wire mesh I stapled onto the wooden stiles? They had got very slippy and I nearly broke my ar$e climbing over one.
    Id be interested in keeping it open..havnt any tools however..

Thanks for all the replies.

I nearly got stuck on the overgrown section. I was determined to get through and got into a right pickle. I'd be up for helping out as well but I'm not very strong and also have no tools. So, useless then!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

I nearly got stuck on the overgrown section. I was determined to get through and got into a right pickle. I'd be up for helping out as well but I'm not very strong and also have no tools. So, useless then!
    Hey nobodys useless.you could bring the tea.!!!

Advertisement