Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks for dogs near Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Maudi wrote: »
    Id be interested in keeping it open..havnt any tools however..

I know where you can buy a cheap chainsaw;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

bido wrote: »
    I know where you can buy a cheap chainsaw;):p

Ha ha.

Phew!! its not much because the flies are intolerable..but thats about 20/25 metres of unpassable mass path cut back..(farankelly rd end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fair play to you Maudi, that's a good distance.
    If people using these paths carried a stick or a secateurs and whacked the odd bramble in passing, it would do a lot to keep them open. Its amazing how quick a bramble can arch across from one side of the path to the other, only a week or two in this weather.

I reckon that as the whole area gets more built-up, people will be more inclined to use these as nature trails, and value them more, so we should try to keep them open if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Can someone map this route for me? I'd like to have a walk down and have a look while out and about. Thanks!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Check out post #16 on this thread. Or just go in where you see the brown signposts, below the roundabout towards the top end of Farankelly rd, and then just follow the path.

Id be interested in keeping it open..havnt any tools however..

I bought a machete..wow .what a piece of kit.

I bought a machete..wow .what a piece of kit.

Cut another few metres of the overgrown mass path again this eve.and it looks like somebody else beat their way thru before me..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Quiggers59

Hi. We walk our dog in the field at the entrance to what was Jackie Skellys and is now Go Gym.There is a hardcore area that you cross to enter field,stay close to fence as a barrier ditch has been built to stop cars and dumping. The field is great,a few rabbits and foxes,it can get a little wet in winter.The hardcore area is lit up in winter so it is useful for a quick walk on the dark evenings.

Cut another few metres
    There's great progress there now :)
    I went down that way and about 100m cleared since I was last there. I cleared another 40 odd metres, nearly up to the road at Kilquade. The last 10 metres is surprisingly wet and I didnt have the footwear for it. Wellies will be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Must check out the mass path again. Brilliant what you have been doing.

I found another wood up near the Newtown Woods. It's down a "no through road" that is a through road! Fantastic for dogs but parking tricky. I've no idea what it is called but just opposite, in the distance, is a very grand looking stately home style house. There are so many hidden gems around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I found another wood up near the Newtown Woods. It's down a "no through road" that is a through road! Fantastic for dogs but parking tricky. I've no idea what it is called but just opposite, in the distance, is a very grand looking stately home style house. There are so many hidden gems around here.

map? The stately home is possibly Altidore House or Mt Kennedy House (yours for only €3m)

My phone battery had died as usual and I couldn't find it afterwards on GM. If you drive through Newtown village and then the woods are on your right a few kms on is a left hand turn - it is up there on the left. Just a small Coillte sign marking it. I get the sense that the road may have been used as rat run in the past because of the signage - especially no parking signs. No idea how long the walk is. We did about an hour and then turned back.

Sorry I have no specifics.

(might have to go view that house :D)

It is definitely Altidore House. wow thanks. It says it is open to visitors on a heritage site. Anyone been?

I've no idea what it is called
    Kilmurry Wood. Its worth getting the "Wicklow east" map by "eastwest mapping", in the bookshop on Greystones main street, if you are exploring these sorts of places. There are some great views from there alright.

Altidore is only open by appointment AFAIK, and you might need to muster a small group to make it worth their while doing the tour.

I will definitely get that. thank you. Where does the wood come out?

At another car park, near the top of Slaughter Hill, on the right.
    That's the bigger road, leading to Roundwood.

Until I get the map would you mind explaining where that is? Slaughter Hill sounds ominous! I probably know it but not the name. You have an exceptional knowledge of the area. Professional or walker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Until I get the map would you mind explaining where that is? Slaughter Hill sounds ominous! I probably know it but not the name. You have an exceptional knowledge of the area. Professional or walker?

Slaughter hill is the road from rossmore estate in Newtown up to Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that little road that veers left is insanely steep - I've passed it on the bike a few times, looked at it and thought "nah..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Interesting, I was down that road on the bike Tuesday evening, have often used it over the years and never took any notice of the signage , I've just had a look courtesy of streetview and the sign at the Newtown end says' private road, no parking throughout' it looks to me like an unoffical effort by some residents to curb access. As its been a couple years since google went up there the sign could well be changed.
    I saw the coillte sign you mentioned and further up is another entrance when I passed a couple of mountain bikers were coming out.
    When you continue along that road where it exits is the top of Slaughter Hill, turn left brings you to Newtown and just about a km down is the entrance Recedite mentioned and the parking is a lot easier there.
    As a complete aside and way off thread , but as Altidore was mentioned I thought I'd throw it in,for those who like good meat, the Emmet family farm organically there and their lamb and Angus beef is (or maybe was) sold in Farrelly's butchers in Delgany ...

recedite wrote: »
    There's great progress there now :)
    I went down that way and about 100m cleared since I was last there. I cleared another 40 odd metres, nearly up to the road at Kilquade. The last 10 metres is surprisingly wet and I didnt have the footwear for it. Wellies will be needed.

Just wow!!myself and gina lollobrigida headed out to clear some of the mass path only to find its done!! Cleared! one could drive a tractor through it..a great nature walk now open from farankelly to kilquade aand on to kilcoole..lots of birds along it and lots of plants and herbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Well done everyone on clearing the path. Hooray for people power.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Well done everyone on clearing the path. Hooray for people power.

We need photos :D

Well done path clearer people ... yay!

Must finally check this out. I'm thinking that boardsies made the defining contribution in getting this done. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Misty May

Just wow!!myself and gina lollobrigida headed out to clear some of the mass path only to find its done!! Cleared! one could drive a tractor through it..a great nature walk now open from farankelly to kilquade aand on to kilcoole..lots of birds along it and lots of plants and herbs..

I was up there last week with my OH in our wellies, shovels, pick axe, hedge cutters and worked away. Great exercise and we got a drain dug and cleared the path the rest of the way to the gate and style on the Kilquade Road. Hopefully the drain will do the trick and dry the path out but it's clear now though probably still a bit wet. Disluted TCP was a brilliant deterrent for the midges unless there were none! We were there in the evening.Hope to see lots of others using this path. It really is a treat.:)

Misty May wrote: »
    I was up there last week with my OH in our wellies, shovels, pick axe, hedge cutters and worked away. Great exercise and we got a drain dug and cleared the path the rest of the way to the gate and style on the Kilquade Road. Hopefully the drain will do the trick and dry the path out but it's clear now though probably still a bit wet. Disluted TCP was a brilliant deterrent for the midges unless there were none! We were there in the evening.Hope to see lots of others using this path. It really is a treat.:)

Well done! These social networking sites get slated but they do indeed create a sense of community. I think it is fantastic.

I can't wait to go down because we walk Kilcoole - Kilquade all the time and after the first time we ventured across the road I said never again it was so bad. Now every time I pass someone (which is not that often) I will have to shout out random user names :D.

Misty May wrote: »

I saw the drain.great stuff.good flow out of it.

I went out to explore part of the mass path last Saturday. It was quite wet alright. I also put on an app called 'My Tracks' by Google on my phone to track the walk - this can be uploaded to Google drive. All in all 6.7km round trip with the first part of the mass path from the SAR to Kilquade Hill.

2rmxqhh.jpg

I didn't see where the next part of the trek is to go to Kilcoole from Kilquade Hill. Anyone have a street view of where to start this section?

PS. great job with the drain channel - it's like an optical illusion as the water in the drain looks higher than the mud track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

First off, as usual Google are a little optimistic with their place names !
    Priestnewtown should be Rockfield as it is mostly south of the Farrankelly road and look where they have Killincarrig , beside Knockroe! Just mention this as it obviously can cause confusion for someone not familiar with an area.
    Kilquade Hill is quite a way further south than they show, so what you need to do when you join the road from the mass path at the graveyard is turn right and at the bottom of the hill is a gate on the left on to a lane , this is ' The Sally Walk ' and will bring you into Kilcoole.
    Not sure how many newcomers to the area use this walk but its quite popular with some older residents,
    It's important to remember if you have a dog to keep it on a lead as there can be sheep and other livestock in the fields down there.
    Enjoy..:)

Advertisement