Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks for dogs near Greystones

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Great thanks for that. Being blow-in for that last 9 years, I'm delighted to eventually start exploring these places. Is this the gate? http://goo.gl/maps/Q3sur

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Yep, that's the one, and I think after nine years you could drop ' blow in' ! We all or our families were newcomers here at some time..
    I wish more new residents took an interest in the area, there is lots of history, lots of stories(some of them true!) even if some are a little tricky to unearth...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

recedite wrote: »
    Kilmurry Wood. Its worth getting the "Wicklow east" map by "eastwest mapping", in the bookshop on Greystones main street, if you are exploring these sorts of places. There are some great views from there alright.

Altidore is only open by appointment AFAIK, and you might need to muster a small group to make it worth their while doing the tour.

I got the map! It is brilliant. Thanks for the tip. :D

We walked the full mass path from the style at Farrenkelly to the heart of Kilcoole. It took about 30 minutes and was dog heaven with all the sniffing. To someone that hadn't seen it before, the bit at Kilquade probably looks awful but it's not - you have all done an amazing job. I would recommend long sleeves - got stung a fair bit.

Someone has posted up on FB about the Greystones Forum. Part of me liked that it wasn't well known but that is mean spirited!

thanks again.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Another one I like, although its a bit further away, is the "slí" walk around the reservoir at Vartry. Drive over the top of Slaughter Hill and down the far side. Park near a junction just before the bridge going into Roundwood. You step over a stone stile on the left and follow a dirt path beside the lake. At the far end of the lake, you come out onto the road, and keep going clockwise over two bridges and past the water treatment plant. Then hop over another stone stile on your right, onto a track that takes you back to the start point along the other side of the lake. The track on the way back side is a wide surfaced track that could also be good for kids to ride bikes on.
    The whole route is very scenic, and flat with no hills at all. I'd say its about 45 minutes to 1 hour for the whole circuit.

• Advertisement

Saw this on Greystones Guide - not sure if it will come to much but at least the word has been spread...

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/dog-park-for-greystones-meeting/

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Wow, brilliant replies.

Unfortunately the cliff walk is not an option with that guy still on the loose up there.

- there's a guy on the loose up at the Cliffwalk? I did not know that.

*off topic, apols.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

- there's a guy on the loose up at the Cliffwalk? I did not know that.

*off topic, apols.

Over a year ago now - not sure how relevant that is anymore

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Over a year ago now - not sure how relevant that is anymore

Ah, prob shoud have read the post date, I'll get my coat :o

astrofluff wrote: »
    Saw this on Greystones Guide - not sure if it will come to much but at least the word has been spread...

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/dog-park-for-greystones-meeting/

I hate quoting myself - Just so this doesn't get over-looked: Meeting tonight about Dog Park in the Beach House at 8pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not much information there - where do they want this dog park?

Dunno, I did read about it some time back before but I cannot recall. It may have even been a separate Tidy Town's item included in the redevelopment of Burnaby Park??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In the last town council meeting, they mentioned the idea of setting one up on the wasteland north of the harbour.
    Not sure whether they meant to plead for Sisk to do it on their land, or whether WCC would set it up on land set aside for the linear park towards Bray Head, or whether it was just pie in the sky.
    It would only cost buttons anyway, just a a few fenceposts and a bit of fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

Astrofluff, any word on how the meeting about the dog park went? Couldn't make it myself but very interested

Selandia wrote: »
    Astrofluff, any word on how the meeting about the dog park went? Couldn't make it myself but very interested

Couldn't make it also! So no idea on what happened, sorry.

Looking for walk ideas again and will drive if necessary. Due to an injury I need flat walks like Bray prom. Apparently people walk the field by the aerodrome at Newcastle but I can't figure out how to get in and I can't access it from the Breeches as the slope is to hard for me. Bellevue woods is too hilly.

I hope someone can help as I'm desperate to get some walks in with the woofers!

Advertisement