Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK show in Galway 16, 07, 2012

Options
  • 16-07-2012 11:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion on now about planning in Galway.

Flawed Ardaun plan being explained.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I haven't a clue what you're talking about mate, can you elaborate?
    PK?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sorry, typed in the title in a hurry as the programme was still on.

The Pat Kenny Programme came from Galway this morning.
    There was an interesting discussion about city planning (or lack of it) here.

It had all the usual stuff about roundabouts, outer bypasses, Gluas and some obligatory buzzwords like sustainabilty, and transport corridors.

The prospect of Ardaun (proposed new town linking the city with Oranmore) raised its ugly head again.
    I thought that ludicrous idea died a death with the so called celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lapin wrote: »
    The prospect of Ardaun (proposed new town linking the city with Oranmore) raised its ugly head again.
    I thought that ludicrous idea died a death with the so called celtic tiger.

I believe it's still in the District Plan, but there's no idea of when it might be built.

Interested that you think it's ludicrous. Why's that?

And is it really madder than building thousands of houses in Knocknacarra when there are next-to-no jobs out that way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Because Ireland's track record of building new towns is disasterous and I don't see anything in Ardaun to suggest it will be any better.

Shannon, Tallaght, Adamstown etc are perfect examples of how not to create a new urban landscape and Ardaun seems to be following these as examples.

Knocknacarra as you rightly point out is another mess, but that was mainly developer led with no planning at all from what I can see.

Advertisement