Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long has your console lasted?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 12:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

So as it is 2012, half way through the year with 2013 coming along with next gen consoles been talked about for the near future

how long has your console lasted you? and how many times have you replaced it?

(to mod: dunno where to put this, more of a dicussion on all consoles not just 1 particular feel free to move:D)

il start off

bought my xbox360 in 2006
    and its still going strong today
    6 long years and not one rrod or anything wrong with it ( has had multiple controller replacements from raging ;) fifa caused that)
    which is strange since i have a few mates who have had theirs replaced several times from

also had a ps3 bought it in december 2007 , had it for 2 years then the laser inside broke, had it fixed, broke again, replaced it with a new ps3, that broke 6 months , later, ended up trading it in to fund the next games i was getting for my xbox

i remember reading something saying
    ps3's have an average lifespan of 2 years
    and xboxs have an average lifespan of 4 years

of course this is only estimates, as i have a mate whos ps3 is still working since he bought the thing on release day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I've still got my release date xbox + ps3, both working fine. Can't imagine those lifespan statistics being accurate tho, maybe if it was reversed i'd believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

My Wii's still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know a lad who is on his fourth PS3 and second Xbox. The reason? He stacks them in a unit under his tv with 0 airflow.

Put your console in a safe place where it wont get shaken and has room for airflow and it'll last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Bought ps3 in 2007, still going strong.
    Have an extensive library and have tested the console to the limit, not a problem with it.

Got an xbox in 2010, had it 8 months and got that red ring thingy. Realised it wasnt worth replacing since most games i played were on pc or ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm still on my first PS3 (40GB model) from May 2007. Upgraded the HDD and replaced one broken dualshock controller (Red Dead Redemption was the cause).
    I do hoover the vents every few months to keep her cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Got 4 years out of PS3 no.1 and 4 months so far out of no.2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My Wii is still going strong brought in april/may 2008

my xbox brought in december 2007 actually got a ring of death error but it still works

My beloved ps3 was brought in Oct/Nov 07 and she's still going strong and long may she last because I can play ps2 games on her :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have had 4 xboxes since 2007.

My first was a white 20gb white. Had no problems with it at all.

My second was a black 120gb elite. It Red Ringed but worked perfectly after replacement. Sold it on adverts.

My third was a red 120gb RE5 edition. Again, it worked perfectly but traded it it in to upgrade to my current...

ME3 Edition 320gb.

So 4 xboxes, 1 rrod. That's a good record!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

60Gb PS3 is still going from launch as is a Wii, and have a PS3 slim that was gotten a bit after they came out.

Have a HDMI 360 that replace a launch model that started giving problems but it wasn't rrod, got that a bit after they came out.

PSP 2000, Vita, GBC, GBA, and GBA sp are all still working and with the exception of the colour all launch models.

Launch PS2, launch PS2 slim, and GameCube still work with everything else is in the attic so no clue.

Only ever had to clear lens on PS2 fat and fix power connection on slim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My Wii is still going strong but the laser drive in that machine doesn't fill me with confidence so I'm playing my games all off the hard disk to save on laser wear.

My 360 RROD'ed 1 month out of warranty but MS fixed it for free anyway. The refurb is going strong 2 years later although I don't really play my 360 much.

PS3 is still going strong, it's an american 60Gb backwards compatible model I got in 2008. It's still going strong although I never really used it and it's only now that I'm using it a hell of a lot more than my 360. I'm kind of afraid that the laser will go since anything I've bought that was Sony the laser always seems to fail. Had a Sony Minidisc die on my and a good few PS1 and PS2 consoles. Worried about the PSP-1000 I have for the same reason.

My DS, PSP and Wii get more play than the PS3 and 360.

Of course all my old consoles are running perfect, even if the NES needs the 72 pin connector replaced every so often. They don't make them like they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bought ps3 in September 2008. Still going strong, never had any bother with it. Use it almost everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Got Xbox in 2007, red ringed last year, so on my first replacement.

Megadrive is still going strong though

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Got my PS3 in July 07. Thats still running perfectly. Dont remember any glitches on thats at all actually.
    My 360 I got in about oct 09. That went mad for a while and stopped showing any picture until I accidently gave it a kick. Been working perfectly since then :o Well perfectly in the very rare times it gets turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Got my PS3 in July 07. Thats still running perfectly. Dont remember any glitches on thats at all actually.
    My 360 I got in about oct 09. That went mad for a while and stopped showing any picture until I accidently gave it a kick. Been working perfectly since then :o Well perfectly in the very rare times it gets turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My launch model PS3 is still going, fortunately, as I lost two PS2s recently (nothing faulty, just the owners wanted them back). Never did get around to converting the save files, mind you. It died in January 2009, within the 3 year warranty. I always thought I missed the window, but discovered recently the time-frame of the cut-off. Free refurb, going well enough since, aside from the odd freeze on SSFIV: AE online.

I bought my Dreamcast faulty last year, wasn't informed of the fact at the time. It's got a weird controller port, in that it won't accept 1st party controllers (of the few I tested), but the shop gave me a 3rd party one when I returned it on the same day of purchase, and it's been solid. However, when I got it home the second time, and actually got to play some games. I discovered it had random-reset syndrome. At which point I said '**** it', lost faith in the shop and fixed it myself. I've had to clean the pins a few times, but she's still hanging in there.

N64, GCN, GBA and DS are still as strong as the day they were bought. My launch Wii, on the other hand, sounds as though it's about to take off the second you boot it up. We're talking table-rumbling levels of rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Won my Xbox back in 2007, broke about 4 months later when it started chewing up the discs. Rarely even played the thing but the warranty was well gone since it had been bought well before I won it.

I put it away for about a year before taking it apart and had to glue a part back inside the dvd drive where it worked perfectly since.

That was until I gave it to a mate for a week and his house was broken into. Didn't really care, didn't use for anything but streaming stuff from computers to the TV, anyways, and I have the controllers plugged into the HTPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

All my consoles are still working. Xbox 360 bought not too long after launch. PS2, PS1, Spectrum +2 128k and Sinclair Spectrum 48k which celebrated it's 30th year of existence today and is still going strong.....back when stuff was built to last!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Original launch 360 packed in a month ago, sad to see him go :(

Have an Elite that I bought in 2007 going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    I've still got my release date xbox + ps3, both working fine. Can't imagine those lifespan statistics being accurate tho, maybe if it was reversed i'd believe it.

Same. I got my 20gb launch Xbox in a bag. Working perfect, still got my launch 60gb ps3 going even stronger as its still being used.

It is quite interesting that a lot of people have bought at least 2 machines on same gen, just because those broke down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

On my second Xbox 360 since 2009. The first one I bought in 2007 but it broke after two years.

I've had a wii since 2008 and it's still going strong.... barely ever play the thing but still.

On my second Ps2. My old one broke years ago. Probably in 2005. Some idiot using it as a drink coaster was the culprit. Have the slim model since 2007. It works grand but it won't play Dvd's anymore for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

PS3 still works like brand new after 2 years, but that's to be expected.

Whats really good is my PS2 still going strong after 11 years. Sure it's missing the disc cover but it still works fine and that's all that matters to me..

And now all of you cynics are going to scoff at this, but my original very first boxy PS1 that we got back in 1996 only stopped working winter 2010/2011 Needless to say my family takes very good care of our play stations ;) then again, the ps1 was being babysat (held in its box in some dusty cupboard until our return) by my cousins in Russia so I suspect the 8 year old contributed to the breakage.. Then again my best friend also still has her Ps1 in working condition too so.. Depends on how you use them! I'm not a particularly cautious person and I personally use the ps2 more than the ps3 compared to my brother.

Usage:

PS3 - used every day
    PS2 - used only in summer, winter, Easter breaks for marathon gaming of rpgs
    PS1 - don't know, but used every summer and winter I go to Russia. Doubt the cousins used it all that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Got my 360 on launch day, about 3 months later I got RROD. Microsoft replaced it and thats still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have a PS2 since 2001, play it now and again, never had a problem with it.

got 4 xbox 360s all 4 went within a year and a half of purchase.

Got my Atari 2600 the year it came out still going strong, the same with my Ps2 and ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Release day PS3 YLOD'd last August so got four and a half years out of it. Current one is eleven months old and haven't had any bother with it

Xbox is almost two years old and is still working AFAIK, haven't played it in seven or eight months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I won my first 360 on a radio show in May of 2008. It RROD'd 2 weeks before the Slim 360's were released (2010?). My friend cut open my one, and got it back working again, got the two weeks out of it and bought the Slim on release day.

On the upside, my SNES I got in 1996 is still going strong. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Xbox from 2009, I think, one of the first wave of models with the Jasper chipset, still fine. Wii too, but only six months old. NES still worked last time I checked. Have a ZX Spectrum somewhere, but wouldn't know where to even begin trying to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My launch Wii is still going although it has this habit of spitting out discs occasionally at startup so it is a bit deranged :p It never does it during gameplay though so thats fine.

My 360 elite lasted a couple of years and then bit the dust. Assasins creed broke it. :p The replacement I've had for a year or two still works but locks up on startup so every day it has to be turned on a few times before it makes it to the dashboard. Other than that annoyance, it works well.

My PS3 slim has been going strong since I got it. Never had any issues with it but I do use it alot less than my 360 so that is probably why.

I would also like to add that my launch SNES from 1992 still works perfectly minus a slightly lose AV connection. This thing saw so much use it really is incredible that it still works.

Props to Nintendo. They know how to make stuff. My launch N64 and Gamecube still work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

60GB launch PS3 here too. Never had one issue with it. That said, its had an easy life as I mostly game on PC and only real use it for console exclusives, blu rays and now Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

On my third 360. Bought first one Summer of 2006 and it lasted about a year before RROD. Got it replaced and it lasted two years before RROD. Then I waited a year before getting my third one, but don't use it nearly as much as the PS3.

Launch PS3, still not a bother with it. As well and being my main games console, it's also used for DVD, Blurays and my external harddrive with anything I download on it.

Advertisement