Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairless patches and new baby hair on collie.

• 16-07-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I have a six-year-old male collie-type, and he has very long hair which gets lots of compliments. Last night I was grooming him to get the last of his winter coat out, and I found a patch of what looks and feels like puppy hair on his side. It's shorter, darker and finer then the rest of his coat, a rough square in shape about an inch and a half long. It looks like the area is bordered by a narrow hairless patch, which is more pronounced in some parts. (I tried to take photos, but they all just look like a closeup of something black.)
    I don't know how long it has been there, I could easily have missed it before now, it's hard to find among all that hair. Took me ages to locate it this morning, and I was actually looking for it.
    He doesn't scratch the area, there's no sign of injury or raised or reddened skin, but I'm worried that it might be something that could spread. I have another dog, a short-haired collie (sort of) and a cat, and neither of them have anything similar.
    Should I admit this? We all sleep in the same bed. There, I said it. So now I'm worried that we're all going to catch this baldy-puppy-fuzz condition.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement