Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour grading workflow

• 16-07-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

For anything more than a daily, does anyone know a more efficient workflow for colour grading DSLR footage than this.

On import, footage is transcoded to CineForm, and to H.264@80mbps

In prelude, markers are set and a rough cut is layed out

exported to premiere where the complete edit is done,

then export edl for davinci resolve, open in resolve and find h.264 footage (since cineform doesn't work in resolve for me..?!)

colour grade is complete, and then all clips are rendered out again, load davinci xml in premiere to see final footage again, add titles --> Deliver.

This takes quite a bit of time and means I'm rendering my footage about 5 times. What would be a quicker/better/faster way to do this? (while still using resolve)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 r3dr00m

frozenfrozen,

Bare in mind, it's MY workflow based on Jeff's Sengstack course.

1. Download video,
    2. Edit Video,
    3. Edit Sound,
    4. Match Clips,
    5. Work on VFX,
    6. Color Grade,

I work in Premiere Pro and AE using Dynamic link. This way I can avoid constant re-rendering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

r3dr00m wrote: »
    frozenfrozen,

Bare in mind, it's MY workflow based on Jeff's Sengstack course.

1. Download video,
    2. Edit Video,
    3. Edit Sound,
    4. Match Clips,
    5. Work on VFX,
    6. Color Grade,

I work in Premiere Pro and AE using Dynamic link. This way I can avoid constant re-rendering.
    Thanks.
    Yeah I too use dynamic link for vfx, however I need to colour correct my footage while it has no overlays, titles etc as I do very aggressive colouring, and it would simply mess up the colours of text etc. I also prefer to work with an intermediary codec like cineform as it allows me to multicam 6+ shots and not experience any delay and playback at native, compared to the problem of having to decompress 6 streams of h264 on the fly.
    Your workflow is quite similar to what I would use for a daily, but what I'm trying to find out is a workflow for something like a short film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 r3dr00m

I would use the same work flow regardless if I'm working on 30sec or 30min video.

I would color grade and VFX as very last as it takes a lot of processing power.

Advertisement