Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When speed isn't everything

• 16-07-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi, I have UPC 30mb at the moment. Thinking of using their get out of contract option at the moment to go to a cheaper provider, say Smart for 30 euro per month. (Vs. 40+ with UPC)

Whilst I do get great speeds on the speed checker, I never have much comfort watching youtube, so maybe I'll be aswell back on ADSL.

I don't remember having any issues on DSL as a vodafone customer, but then again, data demands would have increased alot in the mean time with the likes of Netflix, TV players, HD youtube, so I'm not really comparing like with like.

Also, with nearly every house on my street being on UPC, and probably no one on a NGB DSL, maybe my streaming experience would be better with a slower and 'inferior'(?!) service.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're unlikely to get better streaming experience with a slower service; esp. as it runs over Eircom lines (and remember no one gets 24MB; at best you should expect 15 and that's assuming a good line close to the exchange).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is a problem with UPC and YouTube at the moment, there have been lots of threads here. I've no problem with YouTube on Eircom. It would be foolish to change when it could be fixed any day and you could be left with a years contract for an inferior service.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

So, UPC acknowledge there is a problem? Haven't come across this on any of the searches.

Anyway, Smart don't live up to their name. They can't do a line check because I'm on UPC (obviously I would have thought!), But that's as far as they'll take it!

The smart thing to do would have been to see if I was on DSL before, especially seeing as UPC are more urban, i.e., very good chance that a UPC customer would have access to decent DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CGI_3 wrote: »
    So, UPC acknowledge there is a problem? Haven't come across this on any of the searches.

No, what I mean is there's been plenty of threads of customers complaining, it's a known issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm with UPC and don't have an isue with loading times on UPC. Could be just a certain area?

CGI_3 having used UPC the last 3 years I could never go back to DSL. When I have had to use it at other sites I've found the poor upload speeds very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The 24Mbps Smart Telecom package I had a few years back was still faster than my current "100"/"120"Mbps package with UPC.

Of course, I get blistering 40-75Mbps speed tests with UPC, then when I try to download from any site I get up to 16-20Mbps, usually wavering quite a bit; while the Smart's speed was very stable.

And now that Smart aren't charging the line rental, it's much more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

You can try this (free) to accelerate streaming for many sites.

www.videoaccelerator.com/

Advertisement