Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parent & Child Parking Spaces - A Poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

sheesh wrote: »
    HA!
    You think you are some sort of hero for reproducing!

your funny :D

Who said i was a parent:confused: Plus its not about being a hero its about having respect and consideration. Too much to ask of some people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Wheh wheh, I bet 'yer a virgin wheh wheh.

More petty insults and insinuations, stovelid? Is that all you can provide? Bit pathetic really and I'd feel terrible if you're bringing up a kid to be honest. Kids need a better leader than someone who's going to fall to petty insults at the slightest hint of aggravation or disagreement.

My an idiot? I don't believe I have an idiot?

Yes, yes I was. I don't believe I had any run-ins in the carpark either in all that time.

Are you implying that I deserve something more than words, for disagreeing with your stance on something?

Violence is the key, is it? You're a big man aren't you, talking hard behind your keyboard.

Yep, there is no legal basis for them and thus won't be respected. Disabled spaces have legal backing and rightly so.

It's just to highlight that I do good business for the supermarket, am a valuable customer etc (although, realistically, everyone who goes to a supermarket other than lidl or aldi should be treated as invaluable these days).

Wheh wheh, more petty insults, what an intelligent bunch you are.

Oh don't get me started on them. It's like those stickers give them the belief that they can now drive however they want. If you can't drive with a distraction in the car you shouldn't be driving, end of.

Yep. There's nothing special about having children either. In fact, it's probably the next most common thing humans do after peeing, pooping and eating and as even the most dumb people in society can do it, it's not really an achievement.

The planet isn't short on people and to be honest, society would be SO much better off if there were breeding restrictions in place. We're now at a point where dumb people are breeding like rabbits and the most intelligent in society are having less kids or none at all. That is a hugely negative thing for the species and if you don't understand why then there's no point in explaining it to you.

Lol, no.

There's a better post, stovelid, well done. I agree with you on the final part also, whole heartedly.

Ah, more pettiness. You're so intelligent, aren't you? With insinuations about **** and a screenname that amounts to "wanker", I'd say those around you just love to hear you voice your opinions?

Never ever did I say i would do something to you was giving you a bit of advice as you hear of fights/road rage starting because of the smallest things cop on with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

stimpson wrote: »
    I've got kids and I use them when the kids are with me. If I'm on my own I leave them for a parent as I'm a decent human being with functioning legs.

It's weird though - when I see people using the spaces without kids, my shopping trolley seems magnetically attracted to the cars and I have "accidentally" caused a few dents and scrapes. Never happens when the spaces are used by parents though. Weird.

So you're response to the perceived rudeness of other people ( which is not a crime ) is to cause deliberate damage to their property ( which is a crime )

Can you see the irony at all in that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I've got kids and I use them when the kids are with me. If I'm on my own I leave them for a parent as I'm a decent human being with functioning legs.

It's weird though - when I see people using the spaces without kids, my shopping trolley seems magnetically attracted to the cars and I have "accidentally" caused a few dents and scrapes. Never happens when the spaces are used by parents though. Weird.

Wow! Calling yourself a "decent" person in one sentence and then adding in the next one that you deliberately damage other people's possessions just because you think that you are entitled to it.
    I'd love to get you an award for that

Onixx wrote: »
    Infants can't walk.

Then there shouldn't be an issue of the poor little creatures running around the cars and being at terrible danger of other cars, should it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

eviltwin wrote: »
    I

Its the attitude of some people and the sense of ownership they have over them,

You mean that people in the target demographic to whom a private business has allocated parking spaces have a sense of ownership over the spaces?

So by the same token, people feel an monstrous and unwarranted sense of importance when they use a public toilet assigned to their gender or if they use a parking space designated to employees in their workspace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, great thing to teach your kids.
    if someone annoys you, resort to vandalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Don't worry OP and person who gave me yellow card thanks for that...

No longer following post OP really needs to think of others then himself for once.

Really feel sorry for his parents how proud they would be

Wish posts that need more attention got more then this one.

What goes around comes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

So you're response to the perceived rudeness of other people ( which is not a crime ) is to cause deliberate damage to their property ( which is a crime )

Can you see the irony at all in that???

I *said* it was an accident.

stovelid wrote: »
    You mean that people in the target demographic to whom a private business has allocated parking spaces have a sense of ownership over the spaces?

So by the same token, people feel an monstrous and unwarranted sense of importance when they use a public toilet assigned to their gender or if they use a parking space designated to employees in their workspace?

Its a courtesy to offer parent/child spaces, plenty of shops don't and those that do can't force people with no kids to use them.

Its not wrong to use them, its not like forcing a person with a wheelchair to try and manage in a normal parking space but the way some parents go on you would think it causes them the same amount of disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Its a courtesy to offer parent/child spaces, plenty of shops don't and those that do can't force people with no kids to use them.

Its not wrong to use them, its not like forcing a person with a wheelchair to try and manage in a normal parking space but the way some parents go on you would think it causes them the same amount of disruption.

But I'm still not sure about this sense of ownership or entitlement thing?

Is it like a badge people wear? Or do they pull their cars into the spaces in a certain arrogant, swaggering way?

I don't have a problem with the spaces, its a good idea and I can see cases where they are needed.

Its the attitude of some people and the sense of ownership they have over them, this "fcuk you I'm a parent" brigade who think having a child means they take precedent over everyone and anyone.

Thats funny because you are the one with sense ownership issues and you are most definitely part of the "fcuk you, im not a parent and i hate parents" group. Having a baby in the back does mean taking precedent over a non parent when it comes to p&c spaces, again like i already said, sense of ownership issues.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Thats funny because you are the one with sense ownership issues and you are most definitely part of the "fcuk you, im not a parent and i hate parents" group. Having a baby in the back does mean taking precedent over a non parent when it comes to p&c spaces, again like i already said, sense of ownership issues.

I am a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

I'd be interested to see if they put the P&C spaces right around the back and created a designated, blocked off route, for the parents to walk around to the front, would they be used?

Not a hope in hell.

stovelid wrote: »
    But I'm still not sure about this sense of ownership or entitlement thing?

Is it like a badge people wear? Or do they pull their cars into the spaces in a certain arrogant, swaggering way?

The sense of entitlement comes from the fact some people feel angry when they see a parent/child space taken up with a car that doesn't contain a child.

I'll chance my arm when I'm out and see if I can get one - I'm lazy, I'll admit it :D- sometimes I'll have my toddler with me, sometimes not. If I get a space great but if I don't, if I happen to see a person without a child pull into one I won't get annoyed over it, I won't feel the need to say something or damage his or her car over it.

I think it is funny that when this question pops up anywhere, those that defend it talk about them having bigger space to enable parents to get babies in and out. I agree with this but I wonder if these spots were the furthest away from the door to where you are going how many would be used than if the car park was not full.

None I bet. They are a farce.

I am a parent.

So what exactly are you saying:confused::confused: Some people with their kids think they have precedent over you and your kids? How do you mean exactly?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think I've ever seen one of these but I doubt I'd use one. With a two-door car I don't see any advantage in such a setup.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    So what exactly are you saying:confused::confused: Some people with their kids think they have precedent over you and your kids? How do you mean exactly?

I'm saying that its nice to get a parent/child space but its not something that I expect. I don't understand people who get angry when they can't get one and are forced to use a normal space, I don't understand people who have a go at drivers who park in them, I don't understand how a poster can say they will happily damage a car because they feel it has no right to be there.

There are parents out there who feel having kids somehow puts them first above everyone else. Those spaces were designed for parents who have car seats that are taken out of the car ie those with babies, yet you see people with older kids who don't need any more room than a normal person getting angry when they are taken.

• Advertisement

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    I think it is funny that when this question pops up anywhere, those that defend it talk about them having bigger space to enable parents to get babies in and out. I agree with this but I wonder if these spots were the furthest away from the door to where you are going how many would be used than if the car park was not full.

None I bet. They are a farce.

I think they can be more a selling point. Parents are willing to travel a bit more if the parking is easier. So if your shop does not have them they are possibly losing customers. But i still think it makes sense to be closer to the door so as not to have kids trailing along busy car parks.

I don't understand how a poster can say they will happily damage a car because they feel it has no right to be there.

I didn't say happily, I said "accidentally". Maybe I'm just too lazy to avoid them. It's hardly illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Sleepy wrote: »
    Tell ya what OP, give us your reg and I'll park beside you some time in the normal spaces and, since you're so nice and all, you won't care when our 6 year old swings our car door into yours...

Wheh wheh, I'll bash 'yer car, wheh wheh.

Jesus, I've really stumbled on intelligence.ie here, haven't I?

I have to laugh at the parents on here getting riled up and spouting insults, thinly veiled violence/threats, possession damage and more and then having the gall to question how I was raised, how I am as a person or how I would be as a parent.

You guys need to take a fecking good look in the mirror would be my advice, you're acting like children, violent children at that. Cop yourselves on.
    Never ever did I say i would do something to you was giving you a bit of advice as you hear of fights/road rage starting because of the smallest things cop on with yourself.

If someone acted violently towards me, which a reasonable human being wouldn't, I'd get the CCTV and their reg and press charges. Simple as, really. Who knows, if a person was capable of that, who knows what other things they'd have on their record. Might be enough to have their kids moved to a better home :)

Nah, you haven't actually though, lets be honest. You'll sit here and claim you have, but you haven't really. You just want to seem like a rebel/tough guy on the internet.

If you have though, I genuinely feel terrible for your kids as you're likely to lead them so far astray in their upbringing that their future, without some form of rehabilitation, is very questionable.
    What goes around comes around

More thinly veiled "I hope you get bate" crap, huh? You say you feel sorry for my parents? I feel sorry for anything you're responsible for because if your attitude amounts to "disagree with me and I hope you get a beating as a lesson" then they're doomed.

I *said* it was an accident.

And if someone saw you do this to their car and came up and accidently hit you, would you think that was OK.

Cop on and you call yourself decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Shops will continue to pander to families. A single person buying a weekly shop is not going to spend nearly as much in their store as someone shopping for a family of five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I agree with you OP, I don't see the purpose of mother and child spaces. I have a disabled badge and the mother and child spaces are sometimes nearer to the door and this really annoys me.

I also agree that if they do exist then they should be for parents and children, not just mothers.

I often find it difficult to get a disabled space and I have to struggle to the door even though there are plenty of these parent and child spaces.

Having children is optional, you don't deserve special treatment if you have them.

I hope that someday, with your disability you don't need someones children to help make your life easier. we as a species need children, so trying to make life a little easier for those of us who have them should be welcomed. what if some kid invents a cure for what ever is wrong with you, would you be moaning then? seriously.

• Advertisement

And if someone saw you do this to their car and came up and accidently hit you, would you think that was OK.

Cop on and you call yourself decent.

I "accidentally" made sure they were walking away from their car at the time.

I'm saying that its nice to get a parent/child space but its not something that I expect. I don't understand people who get angry when they can't get one and are forced to use a normal space, I don't understand people who have a go at drivers who park in them, I don't understand how a poster can say they will happily damage a car because they feel it has no right to be there.

There are parents out there who feel having kids somehow puts them first above everyone else. Those spaces were designed for parents who have car seats that are taken out of the car ie those with babies, yet you see people with older kids who don't need any more room than a normal person getting angry when they are taken.

I think there are certain people who love having a go at people for whatever reason, thats just they way they are. These peoples aggressiveness amplifies when it mixes with their parental instincts. The best way to avoid these people is for everyone to park where they are supposed to instead of complaining over such a trivial issue. That's what i think anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Shops will continue to pander to families. A single person buying a weekly shop is not going to spend nearly as much in their store as someone shopping for a family of five.

But what if it's a single mother or a family with just one child?

I bet they don't go all out and spend on the 'better', pricier brands, whereas some people (because they can afford to) without children do.

It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

OP, while having children is a choice its also a necessary part of populating our species. Comparing it to something trivial like owning a porsche is pretty ignorant.
    Your call whether you want to respect the sacrifice or not but taking those parking spaces intentionally is disrespecting those who do wish to acknowledge the sacrifice.

You just want to seem like a rebel/tough guy on the internet.

Says the guy who starts a thread about parking in Parent and Child spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If I go to the supermarket 3 times per week and walk an extra 30 seconds to/from my car, that means I take an unnecessary 159 minutes or 2 hours 39 minutes per year out of my life to accomodate somebody else's life choices.

I don't really see a reason why I would do that.

If kids start being hurt/killed en mass in carparks then by all means, go for it, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a problem with this happening these days.

You go shopping three times a week and refuse to walk an extra 30 seconds. Do you wash yourself with a rag on a stick by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think the moral of the story here is that parents are crazy.

They should have a competition to see if someone can guess out many times 'Mind that Child' has been said on Joe Duffy.

I didn't say happily, I said "accidentally". Maybe I'm just too lazy to avoid them. It's hardly illegal.

Wow what a sense of, I am right and fcuk everyone else. Of course it is illegal to damage someone else’s property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Then there shouldn't be an issue of the poor little creatures running around the cars and being at terrible danger of other cars, should it?
    The spaces are to make it a little easier for people who have a baby, a buggy/carrier, a bunch of shopping bags.

The child hatred here makes me understand why there's child abuse in the world - the attitudes seem like those of people who batter children.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

simple solution to this and disabled spaces

supermarkets put up a small notice
    "€200 per hour, free for registered disabled / parent & child"

If you damage something and just **** off it is of course illegal, which planet are you living on?
    I "accidentally" made sure they were walking away from their car at the time.

Great, so you are also a coward, congratulations.

Says the guy who starts a thread about parking in Parent and Child spaces.
    Yeah 'cause parking in a space is the same as intentionally damaging someone's vehicle.

I'm genuinely amazed that you're managing to type replies over the loud "BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT" track you're listening to and your very life is depending on. Well done you, you multitasking champion.

Mod note: user banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

The child hatred here makes me understand why there's child abuse in the world - the attitudes seem like those of people who batter children.

Oh FFS! What a ridiculous statement!

Disagreeing with parent and child only parking = child hatred!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 gorugeen

Op. It's on private property so they can clamp you providing they give fair warning and a way to get it off. Legality does not come into it.

Wow what a sense of, I am right and fcuk everyone else.

Isn't that what the thread is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I love the irony that the parents here complaining about others people taking the P&C spaces are the same parents who will happily block up an entire road and cause gridlock when getting dropping their kids to, or collecting their kids from school

i dont agree with that either, i have often had a few words with parents who feel it is fine to just stop in the middle of the road to let kids out or collect them. i have many times said, you would not like it if they made life harder for you.

All in all in just about people being lazy cúnts who can't walk for a min without being out of breath.

If you damage something and just **** off it is of course illegal, which planet are you living on?

Great, so you are also a coward, congratulations.
    No no, he's a big man and he showed them who's boss ;) His kids are going to be sooo impressed at what a big man he is and it was him being such an utter hard man won the heart of their lovely mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The spaces are to make it a little easier for people who have a baby, a buggy/carrier, a bunch of shopping bags.

Relax. The only issue here is where a parent thinks the world revolves around them and their child / children.

Children are generally beaten or worse, sexually abused, by their own parents or relatives.

Not by young, child-less people trying to get on with their own day.

Yeah 'cause parking in a space is the same as intentionally damaging someone's vehicle.

I'm genuinely amazed that you're managing to type replies over the loud "BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT" track you're listening to and your very life is depending on. Well done you, you multitasking champion.

Go back and read the reply correctly. I'm saying you started this thread to make yourself look like a rebel on the internet.

Would you like me to draw you a picture of irony?

Go back and read the reply correctly. I'm saying you started this thread to make yourself look like a rebel on the internet.

Would you like me to draw you a picture of irony?
    At the end of the day, you think you're in the right for damaging someone's vehicle for them doing something that isn't illegal but you disagree with.

I hope you're enjoying all that oxygen because you simply do not deserve it. What a surprise that someone of such a calibre is free to post his violent nonsense at half two on a Monday afternoon. Call me shocked!

simple solution to this and disabled spaces

supermarkets put up a small notice
    "€200 per hour, free for registered disabled / parent & child"

Why, of course I see the need for disabled but why for lazy parents?

What a surprise that someone of such a calibre is free to post his violent nonsense at half two on a Monday afternoon. Call me shocked!

You don't seem to be too busy yourself.

There is nothing better than subjective presumptions, right? Classy!
    Maybe bother to look at the posts on page one and then try to relate my post to them, maybe you will manage.

I miss your old avatar, it underlined your personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Relax. The only issue here is where a parent thinks the world revolves around them and their child / children.

No, the issue here is why some people feel they're entitled to park wherever they like, even if the owner has designated that space for someone else.

There's also an issue in this thread of people (not you) deliberatley winding others up, but that's a different matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement