Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parent & Child Parking Spaces - A Poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Hate P&C parking spaces for a number of reasons
    • Always more of them than disabled spots - there should be some quick way of re-designating these during busy periods.
    • Usually closer to the entrance than the disabled spaces
    • The primary reason for them isn't an act of consideration for parents with young children, more the fact that young families tend to spend more of their disposable income on groceries than everybody else.

Buy a shop and run the car park the way you want then. When using someone elses property, do as they want or go elswhere. Its basic manners. Just because its a shop and not one persons house doesnt change that.

If they want to have spaces for Porsches, thats their choice, they own the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I have to agree with the OP. Im sorry to all you parents out there but you aren't special and for those talking about safety for kids that's not my concern if you got kids YOU look after to safety I couldn't give a rats ass about the mouth you brought into the world.
    Disabled parking i am all for. mother and child? no.

Why does this line keep being trotted out? Where did any parent on here infer they were any more special than anyone else?

The shopping centres are the ones who put those spaces there, presumably for a reason. It's an extra little bit of help for parents, not some badge of honor!

Jesus, the hostility towards parents in this thread is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Jesus, the hostility towards parents in this thread is something else.
    Probably reflects the age group posting here to some degree. Before i had kids there was a whole load of stuff not on my radar!

When my kids were in a buggy i sometimes had to walk from the far end of the carpark with them but it usually wasn't a biggie. Still galled me to see cars with no boosters in them parked in the P&C spaces though.
    I did get a tiny victory one day while i stopped in the rain for a minute to unload the kids and let the wife off into the shop. But i did it while hemming in someone parked in a P&C space without kids! No dings, keys or anything. But the prick had to wait while i unloaded everybody! He lost a bit more than 30 seconds too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Unlike disabled parking spaces, "Parent and Child" parking spaces are not legally enforced and neither should they be. They are a courtesy. They did not even exist 5 or more years ago.

I would never park in a disabled parking spot as disabled people need these but if a car park is full and there is an empty "mother and child" spot, I will take it. I can't help but feel that these spots were created for the bubble era "yummy mummies" and their huge fuel guzzling 4x4 SUVs - ergo why these spots are bigger.

It's like those "baby on board" stickers on cars - this sense of pure entitlement that some parents in this country have and that is why it creates resentment by non-parents -m which is obvious from many of the posts on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Unlike disabled parking spaces, "Parent and Child" parking spaces are not legally enforced and neither should they be. They are a courtesy. They did not even exist 5 or more years ago.

I would never park in a disabled parking spot as disabled people need these but if a car park is full and there is an empty "mother and child" spot, I will take it. I can't help but feel that these spots were created for the bubble era "yummy mummies" and their huge fuel guzzling 4x4 SUVs - ergo why these spots are bigger.

It's like those "baby on board" stickers on cars.

You're citing cliches and stereotypes just to rationalise your lazy inconsiderate behaviour.

If the carpark's full and there's a "Parent & Child / Mother & Child" space free, do the decent thing and wait for a "normal" space to become free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think it shows a lack of courtesy and respect to park in these spaces.

You are showing courtesy to those people who will be struggling to take in/out buggies and baby chairs if you leave the spots free.

You are respecting the wishes of the property owner if you leave the spots free as that private land-owner has indicated that they intend them for use by a particular group.

And yes, you may whine that you are also spending money so you'll park where you like. But the company owning and running the carpark has decided to give preference to a particular group and you should either respect that or spend your money elsewhere.

I think it shows a lack of courtesy and respect to park in these spaces.

You are showing courtesy to those people who will be struggling to take in/out buggies and baby chairs if you leave the spots free.

You are respecting the wishes of the property owner if you leave the spots free as that private land-owner has indicated that they intend them for use by a particular group.

And yes, you may whine that you are also spending money so you'll park where you like. But the company owning and running the carpark has decided to give preference to a particular group and you should either respect that or spend your money elsewhere.

Why should I have to be greatly inconvenienced due to someone else's sense of entitlement? Parent and child parking spaces are a courtesy not a legal obligation as disabled parking spaces are. I would normally leave P&C space free but if a car park is full I would not hesitate to use them. How on earth did parents just a decade ago manage without them?:rolleyes:

And parents who suggest that they would damage the vehicles of non-parents who use these spaces are advocating vandalism and crime. Pathetic.

Why should I have to be greatly inconvenienced due to someone else's sense of entitlement? Parent and child parking spaces are a courtesy not a legal obligation as disabled parking spaces are. I would normally leave P&C space free but if a car park is full I would not hesitate to use them. How on earth did parents just a decade ago manage without them?:rolleyes:

And parents who suggest that they would damage the vehicles of non-parents who use these spaces are advocating vandalism and crime. Pathetic.

Yes, courtesy - exactly as I said in my post. I never said you were breaking a law - merely showing a lack of courtesy and a lack of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So you don't want to park far away from the door of the shop, as you don't want to walk far to the door? Hmm, I suppose then that you'd want all your chosen groceries close to the door as well, so you don't have to WALK AROUND THE SHOP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Lets be fair, shops put in these spaces as they knew it would be attractive for busy mums and dads who want to get in an out of a shopping centre as quickly as possible with the least amount of stress. Parents didn't demand they were put in. And all this talk about 'it's their choice to have children' Jesus if ye were in charge no one would be having any children. They are handy and bigger than normal parking spaces making it easier to manoeuvre out a child/baby which stops them hitting off other cars. It's just something that makes a shopping experience less stress for a mother/father making it more likely they will come back. Lastly, like I mentioned in a previous post, not all the spaces near the front are parent and child either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I can't help but feel that these spots were created for the bubble era "yummy mummies" and their huge fuel guzzling 4x4 SUVs - ergo why these spots are bigger.

I wonder how many times it has to be said that the spaces are bigger to allow parents to get a car seat out of the car, to get a toddler(s) out of the car and corral them whilst getting maybe a buggy out of the boot as well.

I don't know where you're going with the rant about the sense of entitlement that some parents in this country have... who are these some parents and what do they feel entitled to. Oh No! They feel entitled to a special car park space. :rolleyes: The resentment created by this inequality between exists only in the spotty teenage WUMs on boards who not so long ago were being hauled out of their yummy mummies' 4x4s in those exact same car park spaces.

You know, I'm quite annoyed and actually a little disgusted at how posters think that I'm some sort of inconsiderate slob because I pointed out that parent and child spaces are just a courtesy and not a legal right for parents to use over others.

Posters are giving out at how nasty some others are on this thread towards parents and children but I find the opposite is true as well. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable. No sense of responsibility - just one of entitlement.

For the record, I am the parent of a 6 year old child and I don't consider these spaces to be some sort of God given right. Goodness knows how parents managed without these spaces. I can get my child in and out of my car safely without having to use one of these spaces. Spaces beside the door of a supermarket should be for disabled drivers, not "parent and child."

You know, I'm quite annoyed and actually a little disgusted at how posters think that I'm some sort of inconsiderate slob because I pointed out that parent and child spaces are just a courtesy and not a legal right for parents to use over others.

Posters are giving out at how nasty some others are on this thread towards parents and children but I find the opposite is true as well. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable. No sense of responsibility - just one of entitlement.

From who? The parents or those giving out about it? I'm a parent and don't feel entitled to park anywhere different - but if, like PrettyBlack says, the stores make them available, then sure, I'll use them.

What if it was the other way around: What if people with kids were ONLY allowed to park in the parent spaces, nowhere else - and they started to park in the "normal" spaces... how would you feel then??

You are taking the mickey, aren't you? :D

Greatly inconvenienced... having to wait a few minutes for a space to become available or maybe having to walk a 100 yards to the shop. I weep for the great inconvenience you have to suffer. :(

And that old chestnut - "how on earth did parents just a decade ago manage without them?" Maybe in the same way that people managed without indoor toilets, electricity, cars, biros and a host of other stuff that we take for granted to day. They just got on with it. But not many want to go back or do go back to the days when the local barber solved your dental problems or applied a few leeches to a gouty knee!

The sense of entitlement is unbelievable. No sense of responsibility - just one of entitlement.

Where do you see the lack of a sense of responsibility in this thread?

"

I don't get this. You say the spaces are a courtesy, yet you are annoyed that others are accusing you of showing a lack of courtesy when you park in them without needing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

For the record, I am the parent of a 6 year old child and I don't consider these spaces to be some sort of God given right.

Who said they were a God given right? Who said that they felt entitled to them?

Nobody did. You're just winding yourself up & going around in circles inventing arguments that don't even exist.

You're like a one-legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Who said they were a God given right? Who said that they felt entitled to them?

Nobody did. You're just winding yourself up & going around in circles inventing arguments that don't even exist.

You're like a one-legged man in an arse kicking contest.

A number of posters earlier in this thread suggested that they were. See below:
    allibastor wrote:
    you seem fairly ignorant on the subject. I have 2 small kids, the whole point of those spaces is so that you are closer to the door ways, for ease of getting in and out of the place and also safety as it is less of a space to cross with small children.

On a side note, are you over weight? i only ask this because i have seen many people park in those spaces, and they all seem to be the people who could do with that extra walk.
    Your an idiot...
    The main reason for these spaces are just to make it a little bit easier to get your kids in and out of the car as in normal spaces there isn't as much space between cars. Remember you were once a child imagine how hard your mum and dad found it getting you in and out of their car with your enormous head...

Don't worry some day you will p**s off the wrong person.

The shops should clamp the idiots like you there is no point saying you will happily get the cops its a civil matter and won't get involved
    sleepy wrote:
    Tell ya what OP, give us your reg and I'll park beside you some time in the normal spaces and, since you're so nice and all, you won't care when our 6 year old swings our car door into yours...
    stimpson wrote:
    It's weird though - when I see people using the spaces without kids, my shopping trolley seems magnetically attracted to the cars and I have "accidentally" caused a few dents and scrapes. Never happens when the spaces are used by parents though. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

For the record, I am the parent of a 6 year old child and I don't consider these spaces to be some sort of God given right. Goodness knows how parents managed without these spaces. I can get my child in and out of my car safely without having to use one of these spaces. Spaces beside the door of a supermarket should be for disabled drivers, not "parent and child."

Which parent has said they are entitled to anything? It's the supermarket who designated those spaces for parents, not the parents themselves!!

If you chose not to use them, good for you, however why give out to parents who do? What exactly are they doing wrong in your eyes? I don't get why your anger is being directed at parents at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A number of posters earlier in this thread suggested that they were.

Like I said - you're creating an argument that isn't really there.

Not really sure why. It seems like a fruitless exercise to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My husband did park in them with me when I was in between chemo sessions over 5 years ago as I was so fatigued but it was not possible to get a wheelchair spot. I do feel that it should be possible to get temporary badges for these and other health reasons that are hopefully temporary (such as a broken leg etc). My late mother was a wheelchair user for the last years of her life and the car spaces were necessary to get her in and out.

I have a 1 and 2 year old now and we still use a double buggie a lot as our eldest will only walk for so long. It is not easy getting a child in and out of a car seat and the extra space is necessary to get the child to get in and out. Their distance is less important that the fact that they are wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yawns wrote: »
    I park in them with my child or without. Even if his car seat wasn't in the car I'd park there if it was available. I wouldn't begrudge anyone parking there without a child either. To me it's just a spot with bigger spaces. I typically park away from the shops in the quieter end to avoid people banging their car doors into mine. I don't drive anything special but still don't want any more scratches on it if I can certainly help it. But at nighttime like Tesco Naas I generally park in the P&C near the door.
    I also use them. Don't have kids but I use them. There is no law against it.

There's no law against not holding a door for someone or not letting an old person have your seat, but its just being polite...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

It's not against the law to be an inconsiderate idiot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

The question: Do you park in the parent and child spaces at the supermarket/shopping centre?

I am childless and have no qualms about parking in these myself and from looking at other people parking, it appears most don't either. However, in the 6 years of going to the same supermarket a few times per week, I have had an angry mother or two come ranting at me over me parking there. In response, I've offered to call the Gardai and have them come and sort it out, but they never seem to want to take up my offer :confused:

My reasoning: Having kids is a personal choice and good for you if you do it, however I'm not going to let someone else's personal choices infringe on me where possible. I look at the P&C spaces as being the same as a space marked for Porsche drivers i.e they can f*ck right off if they think I'm not going to park in a space near to the door that isn't allotted to those with disabilities.

Before someone brings it up, they're not the same as disabled spaces so don't go there. In fact, if you feel you having kids is a disability then you'd really want to take a long hard look at yourself.

On another note, why is it that they seem to only use pictures of a woman + child to mark these spaces? Bit unfair on Dads out there, is it not?

Anonymous poll added.

I really hope your car gets a few dents from parents opening doors to remove carrycots and children from from their seats, selfish is not a strong enough word to describe your childish attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

CathyMoran wrote: »
    My husband did park in them with me when I was in between chemo sessions over 5 years ago as I was so fatigued but it was not possible to get a wheelchair spot. I do feel that it should be possible to get temporary badges for these and other health reasons that are hopefully temporary (such as a broken leg etc). My late mother was a wheelchair user for the last years of her life and the car spaces were necessary to get her in and out.

See I don't see a thing wrong with someone using those spaces if the driver/passenger is ill, or has limited mobility, etc. I've never been in that position myself, but I wouldn't feel guilty about using those spaces in such circumstances.

I have never and would never use them under normal circumstances, though. I know it's not illegal to, but it just wouldn't sit right with me, knowing that I might be causing unnecessary inconvenience for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If a parent with a young or several young children parks further down the car park in 'standard spaces', then you run the risk of having car doors belted off your car. So every time some dick parks in a family intended space, they're going to look for a space near any one of you. I don't blame the parents in the respect of a standard space. If a car door smacks against a car in a standard space, I would rather the parent take each child out of the car to ensure it doesn't happen in a family space.

The 'you should have had an abortion rather than need a parking space' or ' you chose to have a child brigade' should have been aborted themselves.

Awwwh whattt? not fair now?? :(:(

You're the only ones that matter in your world. Would it kill you to be nicer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I'm going to hazard a guess that the people who park in P&C spaces that don't have kids are carrying a few extra pounds. Maybe the poor dears have underactive thyroids or eat because they're sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Plates wrote: »
    I'm going to hazard a guess that the people who park in P&C spaces that don't have kids are carrying a few extra pounds. Maybe the poor dears have overactive thyroids or eat because they're sad :(

I think you mean under active :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 davidgrn

Parking in a parent and child space when you don't have a child is the act of a self important selfish d*ck.

The spaces are there to help other people with kids. That's right "other" people. Perhaps some of the rude morons who admit they do this should welcome this concept into their lives.

Theres no law against skipping in queues either doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Can't believe how annoyed this makes me. Better not be trolling ww.

• Advertisement

Abi wrote: »
    I think you mean under active :p

Good point - edit made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Theres a lot of rigmarole and extra effort needed for young children and a great deal of space needed that non parents just dont appreciate.

The spaces should be primarily for young children. Once kids reach a fair age (10+) then the moral authority to use these spaces diminishes.

I've seen families with teenagers use them. And it boils my p**s when singles just swan into a space that deprives me and my LO of a much needed amenity.

The OP's attitude is just sooooo bad. There is typically lots of space at the opposite end of the car park so theres your solution. The selfish attitude you exhibit makes mesad to be a part of the same species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

as a blue badge holder who relies on disabled parking bays,there are certain places that completely neglect monitoring the spaces,its an unwritten rule here when this happens that disabled blue badge owners park in parent bays as they tend to be the next nearest.

the amount of non badge owners who abuse the disabled bays is ridiculous,they are selfish bastards who havent got a clue what its like having to go home from a visit out because the disabled bay abusing muppets were out in force.

as for parents,councils shoud provide passes to parents to use in the car like a blue badge-up to the age of whenever is seen fit,this wont stop all bay abusers but it will cut down,though the badge shoudnt be free-we have to pay for ours;the parenting badge coud pay towards the badge itself and perhaps the renovation of the bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Did the OP suggest that it was OK to park in spots reserved for parents who take their irritating young children to the supermarket or did he suggest it was OK to sexually abuse and then eat them?

From memory it was the former but judging by the replies here it must have been the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

just back from france where I saw a street sign above a disabled parking space. It read something like this
    " if you take my disability, then you can take my parking space"
    A simple point and well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

juneg wrote: »
    just back from france where I saw a street sign above a disabled parking space. It read something like this
    " if you take my disability, then you can take my parking space"
    A simple point and well made.

Not sure how well that translates to the current situation :pac:

humbert wrote: »
    Did the OP suggest that it was OK to park in spots reserved for parents who take their irritating young children to the supermarket or did he suggest it was OK to sexually abuse and then eat them?

From memory it was the former but judging by the replies here it must have been the latter.

Really? Poor childhood memories or just single and resentful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Like a lot of other posters on here I would never park in a spot designated for people with a disability but if (as happens a lot in our local supermarket) the only vacant space in the car park is a P&C one then I take it. There have been lots of times when the rest of the spaces are full and the 3 for parents with children are empty, so I have definety used them.

It's relative, as a mother working full time and not wanting to waste my time waiting while there are 3 empty spaces reserved for those with little children veersus the inconvenence caused to the third parent with child who happens along and who has to wait. Jesus I'm such a selfish person, maybe I'll adopt so I don't have to feel guilty anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

Yup i park in the parent and child spots also and i've no kids.
    As far as i'm concerned they are fair game.

Def wouldn't park in a disabled spot thought, that's just rude and selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Marching against bond-holders being shored up? Campaigning against hospital ward closures?

No, no. Real pride for sticking it to the big man by hogging spaces for parents with babies and young children. FFS, no wonder this country is fecked. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Clearly anyone who said its okay to park in these spots has never gone shopping with a small baby or child.

Can ye not comprehend how hard it is to get out of a normal space, safely remove the carry tot from the car, take the buggy out of the boot, assemble the buggy, and safely make it in the door of the shopping centre without some idiot who ignores the speedbumps nearly knocking you down?

All while trying to keep the baby quiet (because no doubt people will be staring and tutting if the baby is crying) and trying to move as quickly as possible because its probably raining?

I know these spaces are a luxury and not a right but having gone shopping a few times with a small baby I really can't stress how much easier these spaces make things for the people who need them. People who need them to safely get their child across the carpark, or people who need the extra space to swiftly assemble a buggy. No matter how much of a rush you are in, you do not need these spaces if you do not have a child with you. Its that simple.

I see some people saying that they won't let other peoples personal choices infringe on their decisions. Please consider the fact that you may one day have children yourself, or need them when out with a niece/nephew/godchild or whatever, and only then you'll realise how hard it is without them.

If I can make someone else's life a bit easier I will. Parking in those spaces on purpose isn't a very compassionate or kind thing to do. Just imagine how your own mother or father would have felt if it had happened to them when you yourself were a smally.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Clearly anyone who said its okay to park in these spots has never gone shopping with a small baby or child.

Can ye not comprehend how hard it is to get out of a normal space, safely remove the carry tot from the car, take the buggy out of the boot, assemble the buggy, and safely make it in the door of the shopping centre without some idiot who ignores the speedbumps nearly knocking you down?

All while trying to keep the baby quiet (because no doubt people will be staring and tutting if the baby is crying) and trying to move as quickly as possible because its probably raining?

I know these spaces are a luxury and not a right but having gone shopping a few times with a small baby I really can't stress how much easier these spaces make things for the people who need them. People who need them to safely get their child across the carpark, or people who need the extra space to swiftly assemble a buggy. No matter how much of a rush you are in, you do not need these spaces if you do not have a child with you. Its that simple.

I see some people saying that they won't let other peoples personal choices infringe on their decisions. Please consider the fact that you may one day have children yourself, or need them when out with a niece/nephew/godchild or whatever, and only then you'll realise how hard it is without them.

If I can make someone else's life a bit easier I will. Parking in those spaces on purpose isn't a very compassionate or kind thing to do. Just imagine how your own mother or father would have felt if it had happened to them when you yourself were a smally.

But sure they make life covienent for everybody not just parents, Who likes lugging bags of shopping across a car park in the pissing rain.

When we were all kids there was no such thing as these spaces and all our parents got on perfectly fine. I certainly don't recall stories of parents and children getting run down frequently in car parks. How the heck do parents manage at all when they have to park where there's only normal spaces.

The only people who really need spaces like these are disabled people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

omega666 wrote: »
    When we were all kids there was no such thing as these spaces and all our parents got on perfectly fine. I certainly don't recall stories of parents and children getting run down frequently in car parks. How the heck do parents manage at all when they have to park where there's only normal spaces.

The only people who really need spaces like these are disabled people.

And didn't them black people manage fine before they got all them rights - and didn't them women survive without the vote - and didn't them disabled people manage fine before planners got all fangled and demanded buildings be made accessible and get their fancy badges.

Down with this progress-shmogress. You've convinced me, I'm going to start parking in disabled bays, sure, didn't they manage fine before?! Doesn't everyone get wet in the rain?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And didn't them black people manage fine before they got all them rights - and didn't them women survive without the vote - and didn't them disabled people manage fine before planners got all fangled and demanded buildings be made accessible and get their fancy badges.

Down with this progress-shmogress. You've convinced me, I'm going to start parking in disabled bays, sure, didn't they manage fine before?! Doesn't everyone get wet in the rain?!

So I take it you will agree with me then that the disabled spaces should be becide the door and the P+C spaces a bit further back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

smash wrote: »
    The shops have designated these spaces for a reason

indeed they have, to make more money. nothing to do with safety etc, just makes it that little bit more appealing for parents with kids to shop there so more likely to earn more money from them. Pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Where's the Yes and I have big children option???
    It should probably just be Yes (I have children). However, having big kids is the same as having no kids in the eyes of these spaces, as they're there for those with small kids (apparently!) ;)
    I'm sure someone has posted saying that these spots are for people children under 18, not just small children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Look, these people chose to have kids, nobody made them do it. Just because they've resigned themselves to years of cleaning someone elses snot and shít doesn't mean I should be inconvinenced when going to the shop.
    I'd never park in a disabled spot but I have no problem taking P&C spots on the reg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

P&C spots don't exist out of some magnanimous act of consideration for struggling families. They're put there because these people spend more money than childless couples or singles.

Disabled bays are required by law and many places would get rid off them had they half a chance. P&C spots on the other hand are a marketing ploy and make good business sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I'll park in them when I'm running in for something.... Sometimes I even stick my belly out and pretend I'm almost with child to avoid such disapproving looks but wouldn't care if someone challenged me on it.

Have seen people park in disabled bays and then a disabled person drives up and needs it, needless to say they went mad. There is a need for disabled bays but no need for parent and child spaces. Them and their people carriers can park in any ole space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Felexicon wrote: »
    Look, these people chose to have kids, nobody made them do it. Just because they've resigned themselves to years of cleaning someone elses snot and shít doesn't mean I should be inconvinenced when going to the shop.

The way I'd see it is that, firstly, the more parents that park in these spaces, the less parents parking in the main carpark - where there's a greater than usual chance of them hitting their doors off other peoples' cars, either from careless kids doing it, or from the parent accidentally doing it while trying to maneuvere out a carseat/baby in a small space.

Secondly, walking a slightly longer distance might be a minor inconvenience to me. But, parking in a space further away and having to cross traffic when you are struggling with babies/small children is likely to cause a far greater inconvenience to a parent. So, personally, I'm happy to accept the minor inconvenience.

Obviously there's nothing legally wrong with what you're doing. It's just not a choice with which I'd personally be comfortable. I'm a healthy capable person, I'm well able to walk the extra distance - I'd feel very lazy and selfish knowing that I may be creating unnecessary extra hassle for someone else, just for the sake of saving myself a minute or two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement