Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parent & Child Parking Spaces - A Poll

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

stimpson wrote: »
    I see you have your own issues with punctuation.

Thats fine, avoid the question. It is obvious to most on this thread what you meant by this and I'm done with this conversation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

This is up there with:

- Demanding to do standard banking at the bureau de change desk.

- Going to the "10 items only" express lane when you've 20 items.

- Driving into yellow boxes when you shouldn't.

- Refusing to move seats on a Ryanair flight to facilitate parents / young children sitting together.

- Not holding doors open for people.

- Not saying "please" or "thank you".

There's no getting through to these people...they're just bad mannered.

PS only recently I saw a woman ask a guy if he'd move so she and her husband could sit with their young kids...his response? "Ask me boll..ks". This is the mentality we're debating with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If I have to bring the aul one to the shops I'll park in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I have no problem with parent and child parking spaces in general. As we have established, they are a discretionary perk, not a statutory entitlement. I'm sure they make life easier for parents of small children, which is a good thing.

However, amid all the denials of parent-entitlement in this thread, a post encompassing the very epitome of parent-entitlement has apparently slipped by unnoticed. For anybody who missed it, see this post from Allibastor, in direct response to medusa22:

Here's a heads up, mate: your kid probably won't cure cystic fibrosis or any other chronic and life-shortening disease. In fact, statistically, your child (or you) is far more likely to suffer a disability than to make a medical breakthrough which benefits all mankind. But, hey, never mind about the disabled folk, because you're doing The Most Important Job in the World. I'll pass over the dubious claims about the world (current pop 7 billion and rising) needing more children, because there's just no point.

I realise that most parents who have posted in this thread do not display this level of entitlement, nor anything near it. But in a discussion in which there is much pleading for courtesy towards and consideration for others, I am genuinely (genuinely) baffled that such an odious, entitled attack on another poster has apparently gone unnoticed. :(

Thank you for highlighting the post, I found it extremely offensive and I reported it but it seems that nothing has been done. Although I will probably be infracted for mentioning it now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    This is up there with:

- Demanding to do standard banking at the bureau de change desk.

- Going to the "10 items only" express lane when you've 20 items.

- Driving into yellow boxes when you shouldn't.

- Refusing to move seats on a Ryanair flight to facilitate parents / young children sitting together.

- Not holding doors open for people.

- Not saying "please" or "thank you".

There's no getting through to these people...they're just bad mannered.

PS only recently I saw a woman ask a guy if he'd move so she and her husband could sit with their young kids...his response? "Ask me boll..ks". This is the mentality we're debating with.
    Only one of those is actually illegal.
    Driving into yellow boxes when you shouldn't.

People need to get over themselves and stop believing everything some multinational supermarket says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Do I park in the parent and child spaces at the supermarket/shopping centre?

Yes and god help anyone that takes issue with it. You're not privileged, nor disabled just because you have kids. You decided to have kids, it was your choice, so big deal and now get over yourself. I don't think a disabled person suddenly decided to become disabled. That's why I will always respect a disabled persons parking space. Your able bodied and you have a kid, so what? Parents managed long before the onset of this bullshít, quite laughable really for anyone to put parenthood on a par with having a disability.

You sound as though you lack basic manners and courtesy, not like you're some crusader for the rights of the childless/free.

I don't have children and I never park in these spaces. I've always assumed they are for the consideration of the child, not the parents. I'll gladly walk an extra 20 seconds if it saves a small baby from being exposed to a downpour or a toddler from careless drivers. And no, parents can't always control the weather or when they have to go to the shops.

I could choose to be all entitled and self-righteous, but I choose to get along with others and make small allowances so that others have a more pleasant time of it when they have to deal with factors I don't.

As usual, the intolerance of children/babies/parents in AH is gobsmacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Only one of those is actually illegal.

People need to get over themselves and stop believing everything some multinational supermarket says.

Ah but if the captain on Ryanair tells you to do something, you'd better comply or expect to be detained upon landing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Or...people can take note of everyone who's rubbished or even gone out of their way to deny the courtesy of allowing parents with young children to have wider spaces/being closer the shops so next time we see them ranting about discourteous behaviour holding them up using the express till/cigarette till for lots of items, taking forever to use the ATM with several cards or any of the numerous other complaints I've seen made in AH, it'll be clear who the self-absorbed hypocrites are. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

So take that unleashed fury out on the supermarkets who designated them, not the people whose only crime seems to have been that great sin of giving birth.

Get over yourself indeed.

Stop being prejudiced against adoptive parents or those who used surrogates....or those (like me) who are carrying their niece and nephews around!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do I park in the parent and child spaces at the supermarket/shopping centre?

Yes and god help anyone that takes issue with it. You're not privileged, nor disabled just because you have kids. You decided to have kids, it was your choice, so big deal and now get over yourself.
    I think parent child places make sense. Children have terrible awareness and having the space beside the door means they get out of the car onto a footpath and straight in the door of the shop, they don't have to cross any roads to get to where they need to be. It's best all round, you don't want them running out in front of your car damaging your front bumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Its not just for safety reasons - babys car seats are very big and you need the extra space so as to get the baby plus seat out of the car and they are not light in the slightest. Always gonna get aholes no matter where you go - its not a holier than though decision to park in these spots with no kids - its just being a d*ck.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Giselle wrote: »

As usual, the intolerance of children/babies/parents in AH is gobsmacking.

I couldn't agree more with you. Those babies, children and parents surely don't do themselves any favours here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

stimpson wrote: »
    I didn't say it was OK. I said it was no big deal compared to people who need to show small kids who's boss to feel like a big man.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.

And what would happen if the owner comes along as this "accidental" damage to his car was done. Would you be the big man then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

And what would happen if the owner comes along as this "accidental" damage to his car was done. Would you be the big man then?

Already answered:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79755032&postcount=127

There is an awful lot of horrible language going on in this thread which doesn't seem to bother anyone. What's the point for name calling....it's ridiculous.

Forget it, it's futile....he'll never get it because he won't even listen to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People, this is getting very messy. Many many reports and issues, including a closed account by OP.
    We'll stop now and hopefully people will do the right thing in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement