Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity clothes shopping

Options
  • 16-07-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

Well at 21 weeks+ 2 and now that I can no longer fit into my clothes comfortably, I think it's time I started getting some maternity clothes.
    Just wondering, in your experience, which high street stores do the best value mat. clothes- I have no notion of spending a bomb on clothes that I'll only be wearing for a few months!
    I am in Limerick and tried New Look this morning, but they don't have a maternity section, they said try Cork.I don't mind travelling to Cork or Dublin, if I could get a good selection( and good price!!)
    I know Next & Dorothy Perkins do a maternity range, ya?Any other stores??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I found Next and H&M best, for value and fit. I also bought a few things from the M&S maternity range and Mothercare - a lot more expensive and not necessarily better quality.

I know some others on here have said New Look, I didn't try them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

New look for sure,
    shop online tho, much better than in store...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

javagal wrote: »
    New look for sure,
    shop online tho, much better than in store...
    What are their sizes like in tops and jeans?Like for their maternity clothes should I stick with my own size or go up a size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

What are their sizes like in tops and jeans?Like for their maternity clothes should I stick with my own size or go up a size?

Well its kinda up to you.
    Things I bought at 20 weeks maternity wont go near me now but if you go up a size they prob wont fit.

dresses and leggings are the way to go

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

H&M pregnancy leggings and longer length string vests were a godsend. I have a few tops from H&M. I wore the vests under my normal tops to cover the gaps. I got some other tops in New Look, and got my work trousers there too.
    Size wise I was a 14, got Med or Large in H&M, depending on the fit, New Look tops I got in a 14 and they fit me fine now still. Work trousers I went up a size and then used the internal sizers to make them smaller to fit me.
    I still work a lot of my own stuff, any empire line dresses or tunics I had are still ok, as are most of my yoga pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I can't overstate it enough, try get over the bump trousers for work trousers/jeans/leggings etc. So much more comfortable the further along you get. If they are a bit loose at the top now, you can pin them with a safety pin.

The trousers that go under your bump & have a stretchy band tend to cut into you after 7 mths & it's very uncomfortable - though my bump is pretty low.

H&M, New Look are good price wise. But I was able to get pj's & vests etc from Penneys that fit great even now.

What I did was found someone selling a bundle of maternity clothes on adverts.ie. There was a huge sack of stuff & a lot of it was good brands & she's kept them in great nick, luckily they were nearly all my colours & style & my size. Got the whole lot of 40 euros.

As Java says, leggings and dresses all the way when you're at the end particularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

As Mink said, Overbump all the way for trousers/jeans etc. And even then try to get clothes with a bit of give in the main part too. I find that the maternity trousers I got in Mothercare for work cut into the bottom of the bump a bit under the stretchy bit. Gets uncomfortable when I'm sitting for long periods of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Next and Dorothy perkins are great stores for maternity wear..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Could not agree more with the suggestion of leggings. I got a couple of pairs when I was around 4 months pregnant and they're all I've worn the last few weeks (I'm 37 weeks now). I found new look good, I was size 8 pre-pregnancy and bought size 12 tops which were a bit big at first but fit perfectly now so I'd say go a size or two bigger to make sure they last you the whole of your pregnancy. Their range in store was awful though, and that was in one of their big shops in Dublin. They have nice stuff online though which is where I got mine.

I was in mothercare last week and they have a really good sale on at the moment, 50% off on lots of their clothes. Otherwise they are quite expensive. H&M were good too, I got a pair a maternity jeans there which have also lasted most of the pregnancy.

You can get away without buying too much, just some leggings, a pair of jeans, and some neutral enough tops that will go with everything and then just use your normal cardigans, jackets, scarves etc to dress it up. Also penneys are great for cheap tops and dresses a size or two bigger!

Also be careful and don't buy too many summery things now if you're going to be heavily pregnant in winter. Some of the things I bought a few months ago are just too warm to wear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I agree with the others - I found tho the top shop maternity leggings the best! Lived in them! The soft and over the bump thing so important as u get bigger! Below the bump jeans were ok if I didn't want to sit down!!!
    I also in topshop got a black bump band that went over lots of my trousers which I could then wear with a button or 2 open!!
    It also was great to wear under tops - I was always conscious of my belly hanging out!!!! Kept it nice and snug!!

I made the mistake of buying some non maternity smock style dresses in m&s at about 18 weeks - thinking they'd last me with leggings... They didn't... Ended up way too short on front and looked ridiculous after few weeks.. Still annoyed about that..!! Still I'll have them for next time... ;)

I biught all my clothes in a 12 - I was a 10-12 pre pregnancy. They were all fine apart from jeans - which by 35 weeks just laughed at me!!

Remember if ur planning to breast feed its a good idea to buy maternity tops with nursing attachments ( buttons or layers to make boobs accessible..!) as they will still be very handy after the baby arrives!

I love my maternity clothes... I miss my bump... Hehe - I say as shes sitting snoring and farting away on me!!!! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

I am in Limerick too and to say our selection of maternity clothing is dismal would be an understatement! I am 26 weeks and have a rounded low bump... nothing fit me bcause of it from about 16/17 weeks!

I did buy over the bump jeans in H&M but they loosened out really quickly. I would be a 10 normally, went with a 12 on the day I tried them on, fit lovely and now they are so loose :( I can't wear them until my bump gets bigger.

I bought size 12 leggings in Pennys and a few jersey stretch dresses in H&M and they have been all I have been wearing. Leggings in a Penneys 12 suit me fine as the come right up over my bump and are grand and comfy for the day. Lots of colours too! I got maternity swimming togs online from next and the are grand too.

Limerick is shocking for decent clothes at the best of times so if you didn't mind travelling, maybe a trip to Dublin or even Cork would be worth it. So much more on offer on the high street there! :D

hazeler wrote: »
    I am in Limerick too and to say our selection of maternity clothing is dismal would be an understatement! I am 26 weeks and have a rounded low bump... nothing fit me bcause of it from about 16/17 weeks!

I did buy over the bump jeans in H&M but they loosened out really quickly. I would be a 10 normally, went with a 12 on the day I tried them on, fit lovely and now they are so loose :( I can't wear them until my bump gets bigger.

I bought size 12 leggings in Pennys and a few jersey stretch dresses in H&M and they have been all I have been wearing. Leggings in a Penneys 12 suit me fine as the come right up over my bump and are grand and comfy for the day. Lots of colours too! I got maternity swimming togs online from next and the are grand too.

Limerick is shocking for decent clothes at the best of times so if you didn't mind travelling, maybe a trip to Dublin or even Cork would be worth it. So much more on offer on the high street there! :D

Thank God you said that!!I thought it was just me being unlucky!!Ya I think I may head to Cork or Dublin and have a scout about there instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Yes i have to agree with hazelr limk id desparate!! And ive been living in my leggings throughout the pregnancy.
    Early on in my pregnancy i bought a special bump vest thing in mothercare. Definitely the best buy as it fits all sizes is flattering and Soo comfy. It stretches and it is fairly long too.

On a different note does anyone know of a good place to buy nursing tops apart from mothercare. Does h an m or next do them?

pushkii wrote: »
    Yes i have to agree with hazelr limk id desparate!! And ive been living in my leggings throughout the pregnancy.
    Early on in my pregnancy i bought a special bump vest thing in mothercare. Definitely the best buy as it fits all sizes is flattering and Soo comfy. It stretches and it is fairly long too.

On a different note does anyone know of a good place to buy nursing tops apart from mothercare. Does h an m or next do them?

I saw some nursing tops in H&M (in Limerick) just yesterday-they're up against the back wall.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got a heap of maternity wear in the New Look sales in Belfast last jan when my 5 month bump started to show.

Dont get the waist expanders in Mothercare - they cost €17 euro!! I just looped a hair elastic through my jeans button hole and looped it around the button for free. That saw me through to about 6 months with a long top or bellyband to cover it.

My uniform was a pair of black bootcut maternity jeans, (they were very black so passed for trousers) and a couple of pairs of skinny jeans. Team them with long tops and a swing cardigan and I was done. I'm quite short so I found the stretchy tops in Pennys covered my bump fine right up till the end, if I moved a size or two up. I found I spilled everything on my bump anyway, especially in the later months, so if stuff didnt come out in the wash I wasnt too upset because the tops were cheap as chips.

Now I'm nursing and wear a vest top with hidden support and just pop the breast pads inside that, without a bra, the aforementioned pennys tops over it, and my beloved swing cardigans. I found nursing bras fiddly and I didnt actually need them because I am quite small boobed despite feeding.

When I need to feed, the top comes up, and the vest comes down, and the side of the cardigan strategically covers me until I'm ready to latch baby on, Then winding the corner of the muslin around the vest strap under your neckline on the nursing side forms a discreet drape ove the baby's head and not a thing can be seen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Thanks a mill littlemissteach ! Ill have a look tomorrow also neyite that is a fantastic idea with the swing cardies and muslin cloths i must try that too when bab comes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Excited

hazeler wrote: »

Ah... Just spent ten mins replyin on phone. Then screen went black and now msg is gone, so I'll go for take 2 in condensed form!! Under- bump jeans fm debenhams are already too uncomfortable at 24 wks so wouldn't rec them to anyone. Got over-bump linen trousers, jeans and a swimsuit on line fm co called 'elora'. Happy out with those cos pure comfie and reasonably priced.

Also got few bits for half nothing from Dorothy p and Asos' (maternity sections) online sale recently.

Can't get over the lack of choice in lk either. Had a look in that mat shop on roches st a while back. U'd want to be plannin lotsa pregnancies to justify the cost of items there. Was surprised also cos quality didnt seem great to me!

There's a load of us here from Limerick so, ya?
    Anyone else under the yummy Dr. Slevin??!;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I'm in limerick as well and I really do feel like selection is dire! I was told to go to H&M and check out the back wall. havn't been there yet. I am very lucky in the fact that pretty much as soon as they found out i was pregnant my step mom in the states went and bought me loads of maternity clothing! I got it well before I started to bump out! I have a pair of work pants, jeans and another cloth pair all over the bump and they are the most comfortable things ever. Also a load of shirts and sweaters. I am well into the pants by this stage! (worries me as to how big im actually going to get! eep!) I'm sure i will be buying more pants as i get closer to the end! I am not a dresses person AT ALL so i really dont want to resort to that! I got a belly band so i could wear normal pants unbuttoned. I find them only ok. It rolls up and scoots down and im adjusting it and my pants all day it seems. I havn't worn it in a while and use it only when i really want to wear a certain pair of pants. But it is good for back support!

I'm very wary of online sizing...has anyone found a place that seems to be true to sizing when buying online?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

There's a load of us here from Limerick so, ya?
    Anyone else under the yummy Dr. Slevin??!;-)

Wow there are loads of us from Limerick! A Limerick bumb thread maybe!!? ;)

I am also under Doctor Slevin but have yet to meet him as I opted for the midwives only clinic in the maternity. They won't call him in until he's needed- mad bunch over there though!

As for that back wall of maternity in H&M, if you are looking for work clothes because you have a black and white or navy uniform- then head in there but for cute, looking good, feeling nice- I could go out for dinner in this- type clothes. It's got nothing, imo! :(

The maternity shops in Limerick are very expensive and I too couldn't justify the expense. I have a wedding also on the 21st September... a nice 36 weeks by that stage! Should be great fun finding something to wear! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I've such a love/hate affair with maternity shopping. Hate feeling defeated when its hard to find things I like so I overwear the same few things all the time, but then I absolutely love it when I get pretty comfy stuff that makes me all chuffed with my bump. Mind you its easy for me being in Dublin and near a big shopping centre.

If you are still searching for stuff I was very pleased with some recent purchases in Next - they will deliver for a flat fee of a fiver and sure its nice just trawling their maternity section for a browse.

http://www.nextdirect.com/ie/en/shopping/women-maternity

Also last week I picked up a fab slinkly little LBD in H&M for 20quid, which shocked me - esp as I was only going in for maternity tights for going out that night and then bought the dress instead. I'd so many compliments when I wore it that I can't wait to get it out again this weekend :D

@ hazeler

If you haven't found an occasion dress yet for the wedding and you want something colourful but also comfortable I got a great one (http://bit.ly/QdSRc3) from http://www.picchumaternity.com and they were fast with delivery from the UK, it came all beautifully wrapped and it was like getting a yummy present delivered.

I wore it for a wedding when I was 36wks on my last pregnancy and I'll be wearing it again for one tomorrow @ 28 wks and its still just as pretty on both bump sizes. A lot of them are jersey with satin detailing to make them look fancy which makes them comfortable to wear over a long day and flexible for bump size. I'm planning to get another wear out of this one for another wedding at my 38wks, providing I can go!

Advertisement