Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six month wait for test and learner bibs?

• 16-07-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is there any way around the initial 6 month wait for a test?
    Any way at all!? I had a provisional before, but that was years back and I have a car license.

I remember there used to be that thing where everyone suddenly 'needed their license for work' back when there was horrendous waiting lists for a test?

Also, what is the deal with the L-plate tabard thing? I don't disagree with the merits of high-vis or being seen on the road but would I really have to look like a complete dick for six months!? :eek:
    Can you just get away with sticking some L-plates on the bike or something like a sensible normal human being?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've tried to get around the wait, no luck.

As for the L plate hi viz. If your in an accident you'll have a tough time getting it sorted with insurance companies if you did not have the vest on regardless of who was at fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

MY nephew got his A-Licence test in only 5 weeks.

That was in Dublin (Finglas RSA test centre).

He got a test date,then rang up the RSA and asked for a cancelation test date instead.

So from applying for a test,to actually taking the test and passing it in a mere 5 weeks was good going indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blacknosugar

Yeah but isn't there a six months period before you're even allowed to apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I've tried to get around the wait, no luck.

As for the L plate hi viz. If your in an accident you'll have a tough time getting it sorted with insurance companies if you did not have the vest on regardless of who was at fault.

Completely untrue.

4 Garda, one solicitor and two insurance companies later I found out it's not.

• Advertisement

4 Garda, one solicitor and two insurance companies later I found out it's not.

Well sorry to tell you that your experience is very very rare and I have never heard of or seen it happening in the 8 years I have worked in litigation.

In short, he hit me. Not my fault. Garda actually where behind him. Garda said he would have hit a truck if it was there. He was just in a hurry. Settle outside of insurance.

Not saying a claim is impossible but from my brief experience it's not made easy and if an insurance company can get out of a claim they will.

I'll not be in trouble for not having it on however I could have been if I had made the claim.

Sure I not seen more than 2-3 people with vests on. I've been stopped and checked for tax and and the license looked at, no issues there either.

In short, put it on. I have.

In short, he hit me. Not my fault. Garda actually where behind him. Garda said he would have hit a truck if it was there. He was just in a hurry. Settle outside of insurance.

Not saying a claim is impossible but from my brief experience it's not made easy and if an insurance company can get out of a claim they will.

I'll not be in trouble for not having it on however I could have been if I had made the claim.

Sure I not seen more than 2-3 people with vests on. I've been stopped and checked for tax and and the license looked at, no issues there either.

In short, put it on. I have.

How was the claim settled?

If an insurance company can get out of a claim by any means they will try it, it's all down to your legal team to fight that.

In my own personal experience it has made no difference whatsoever, at the end of the day if someone hits you and they are at fault, that's all that matters in court.

It's the same as a learner driver in a car not displaying L plates or driving without a fully licensed driver, their insurance doesn't become magically void if they are involved in an accident.

I agree with you.

Settle as between me and him. Other than that it would have dragged on for weeks and given other circumstances neither of us wanted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

i was drivin for 1 year with out L vest and was grand only wore it on the day off test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Is there any way around the initial 6 month wait for a test?
    Any way at all!? I had a provisional before, but that was years back and I have a car license.

I remember there used to be that thing where everyone suddenly 'needed their license for work' back when there was horrendous waiting lists for a test?

Also, what is the deal with the L-plate tabard thing? I don't disagree with the merits of high-vis or being seen on the road but would I really have to look like a complete dick for six months!? :eek:
    Can you just get away with sticking some L-plates on the bike or something like a sensible normal human being?

Has your provisional license expired? If it has, the 6 month wait is the least of your worries. You'll be looking at doing the IBT as well! If it is not expired you don't have to wait the 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Has your provisional license expired? If it has, the 6 month wait is the least of your worries. You'll be looking at doing the IBT as well! If it is not expired you don't have to wait the 6 months.

Not true. If their Learner Permit has expired 5 years or more then they have to re-apply for their permit and do the IBT. It all depends when the OP's permit was issued, but by the sounds of it, it is more than 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

kevin-46 wrote: »
    i was drivin for 1 year with out L vest and was grand only wore it on the day off test

Hi Kev, Yes but that's still breaking the law. Only for the Guards being so lax and under resourced I can guarantee they'd be checking everyone out. You certainly wouldn't get away with that sh*t in the Uk or mainland Europe! But this is Ireland after all "Sure it'll be grand":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

I keep one on me for dark/rainy days but otherwise I tend not to wear it. People seem to back off a lot more if you don't have one. If you had to paint a giant red L on your hi vis and on the back of your bike, people will just bully you off the road. Even on a car, red L stickers will earn you some stupidly dangerous overtakes from impatient lunatics.

As far as insurance goes, afaik with Liberty as long as your license is valid then you're covered (this is according to my bro), unless the bike was wrecked and it clearly wasn't my fault I'd personally do everything to avoid a claim though. Purely for the reason that the insurance company will no doubt proceed to charge me 4-5 grand the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blacknosugar

Provisional licence is long expired, so I guess that's me hanging on for 6 months then. If you do DAS in the UK (which I can probably get away with) can you just swop your license straight over to an Irish one without the 33bhp restriction?

I know I'll have to do IBT and though "this is a helmet, this goes on your head" will be a bit annoying I could do with a few lessons to get going so that doesn't bother me (cost aside anyway).

Advertisement