Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a covered deck?

• 16-07-2012 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

I think I saw a post some time ago about a boardie who did a DIY covered deck but I can't find the post.
    Were thinking of a deck at our double doors, 11x14 or such like and covering with joists and polycarbonate sheeting. If anyone has links to similar projects it would be great. Anyone got a ballpark guesstimate on what it would cost DIY ? It would be elicited about 18 inches of solid ground.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

bbam wrote: »
    I think I saw a post some time ago about a boardie who did a DIY covered deck but I can't find the post.
    Were thinking of a deck at our double doors, 11x14 or such like and covering with joists and polycarbonate sheeting. If anyone has links to similar projects it would be great. Anyone got a ballpark guesstimate on what it would cost DIY ? It would be elicited about 18 inches of solid ground.
    Any advice appreciated.

Decking and undercarrage will cost the guts of 400euro maybe less. This is with no spindles or handrail.

The posts to hold up your beams and rafters will vary depending on the size you want covered. As for the poycarbonate, its expensive stuff and you can try donedeal as there seems to be loads of people selling it.

Anyway, im not sure if im allowed to post links but im sure id be told soon enough if im not.

To give yourself a ball park figure look at the following 3 links.

Personally id say your looking close to a grand anyway......

For timber prices try here http://www.goodwins.ie/c-1043-deck-packages.aspx

For polycarbonate prices try here http://goldstarplastics.ie/Multi-Wall/

or here http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/polycarbonate%20sheet

Anyway, these places may not be near you but they will give you the ballpark figure and what to expect.

Remember to treat cut edges and take into account weed barriers, screws, bolts, concrete and preservative etc.

I cant overstress the need to treat the cut ends as they will rot in no time untreated. Also make sure your deck is off level for drainage and leave a gap between boards for air circulation.

No pics im afraid but if you google decking and pergola, arbour etc you will find inspiration somewher.

Good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Great..
    thanks for the links..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

I saw a guy on donedeal selling large Pergolas for an extra few bob he would attach polycarbonate to it so you would be covered. might be idea :)

Thanks.
    My thinking is that while it will cost more to cover it I would get to use it more often and the deck will be sheltered and last longer thus saving money on relaying it. Saving back the money in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Careful buying Polycarbonate sheet in Ireland. Tends to be slightly overpriced. I looked at that link for goldstar and for fun, ran through their checkout for a single sheet of 10mm 1.05 m x 2 m and got this:

Order summary

Subtotal ( 1 item(s) ): € 42.00 Shipping cost: € 45.00 VAT 23%: € 20.01 Total: € 107.01
    A single sheet with the same dimensions from Rockwell in the UK is the equivalent of € 31.85 including the vat. They shipped a whole consignment to me from the UK for about the same as that single sheet.

http://www.rockwell-meriden.co.uk/shop/products.asp?c=39&desc=Multiwall_Polycarbonate_Sheet_Special_Offer_Multiwall_-_Stock_Sheet_Sizes_10mm_Multiwall_Polycarbonate_Sheet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can I just advize you on this.....with regards to placing pollycarbonate sheeting over your decking area.

The noise of heavy rain falling onto pollycarbonate in very very loud indeed.

And at night time it might possibly keep you awake.

Just take that into mind here.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I just advize you on this.....with regards to placing pollycarbonate sheeting over your decking area.

The noise of heavy rain falling onto pollycarbonate in very very loud indeed.

And at night time it might possibly keep you awake.

Just take that into mind here.

Hmmmm..
    Thanks... a good point :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hmmmm..
    Thanks... a good point :confused:

Personally speaking,it wouldnt/doesnt bother me.

Ive 2 large SO6 sized Velux windows right above my bed,and the heavy rain bashing off them is actually soothing/relaxing to me.:)

But I know a chap who has his pergola covered over with pollcarbonate sheeting,and he says the noise of the rain bashing off it,wrecks his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

cnocbui wrote: »
    Careful buying Polycarbonate sheet in Ireland. Tends to be slightly overpriced. I looked at that link for goldstar and for fun, ran through their checkout for a single sheet of 10mm 1.05 m x 2 m and got this:

Order summary

Subtotal ( 1 item(s) ): € 42.00 Shipping cost: € 45.00 VAT 23%: € 20.01 Total: € 107.01
    A single sheet with the same dimensions from Rockwell in the UK is the equivalent of € 31.85 including the vat. They shipped a whole consignment to me from the UK for about the same as that single sheet.

http://www.rockwell-meriden.co.uk/shop/products.asp?c=39&desc=Multiwall_Polycarbonate_Sheet_Special_Offer_Multiwall_-_Stock_Sheet_Sizes_10mm_Multiwall_Polycarbonate_Sheet

cheers for that link mate, Ive never bought the stuff myself.

I was just giving links that had material prices on it.

Just so OP would get a figure in their head.

I will however keep that link for myself as im building a new router table in a few months out of solid Polycarbonate so at least il have a good start.

Hey guys.
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread.
    We got our deck installed including a polycarbonate cover. 5m by 4m. The noise from the polycarbonate is minimal, even sitting on the deck in rain a conversation is no bother. It was hammering down rain last night and we heard nothing.

• Advertisement

Hey guys.
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread.
    We got our deck installed including a polycarbonate cover. 5m by 4m. The noise from the polycarbonate is minimal, even sitting on the deck in rain a conversation is no bother. It was hammering down rain last night and we heard nothing.

Sounds Nice can you post a wee piccy? :)
    Did you do it yourself? I am getting feck all enjoyment from my new deck with the weather :(:mad:
    How much did it finally cost? tips hints :D

No I got a professional to do it. Back injury would prevent me from such a large scale job.

Opted for a composite deck as I just couldn't face all that treatment so as you can imagine it didn't come cheap, as my solicitor said once when I asked how much " that'll cost many thousands " by the time it's done.

I'll stick up some photos later. We've had a few lunches and BBQ since it was done so were delighted.

Here we go.. few picks I took thismorning..

img0579xb.th.jpg

img0578ny.th.jpg

img0577m.th.jpg

img0576st.th.jpg

We've found it great.. The next part of the plan is to plant tall growing bamboo down each side to give additional wind break..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cracking job - looks the dogs gonads..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

You know you it's too cold to sit out in Ireland even in summer
    Have you got a south facing garden

You know you it's too cold to sit out in Ireland even in summer
    Have you got a south facing garden

Its a personal thing I suppose... we find it fine sitting out but my brother would need to be vacuum packed 24*7 or he moans about the slightest breeze... he's friggin wrapped up like an onion nearly all year and would burn if you whispered sunshine at him... each to their own.
    And no its not really south facing, caches more late afternoon & evening sun.

Tasty very tasty. Ill have to get summit done like that> Sure you can sit out there with a chiminea no matter what the weather!

Advertisement