Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting

• 16-07-2012 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK I know I've been making a lot of threads lately but I do really need help. I am gonna be doing accounting for 6th year instead of chemistry. Can someone please tell me what chapters have been done in 5th year so I can sit and study for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

fontdor wrote: »
    OK I know I've been making a lot of threads lately but I do really need help. I am gonna be doing accounting for 6th year instead of chemistry. Can someone please tell me what chapters have been done in 5th year so I can sit and study for them?

It seriouSly depends on the teacher with accounting. Our teacher didn't do final accounts or costing with us. So we did club service farm tab control and incomplete in fifth year. But in saying that, the other schools in town did suspense, all final accounts in fifth year and mixed and matched the topics which we did.

Most teachers leave management accounting and ratios for LC year. And often published as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

ChemHickey wrote: »
    It seriouSly depends on the teacher with accounting. Our teacher didn't do final accounts or costing with us. So we did club service farm tab control and incomplete in fifth year. But in saying that, the other schools in town did suspense, all final accounts in fifth year and mixed and matched the topics which we did.

Most teachers leave management accounting and ratios for LC year. And often published as well.

So can you tell me what main things I should go over now?

So can you tell me what main things I should go over now?

I'd probably do club service farm to get used to the general layout and workings and principles.

Also if you do suspense it'll help with most other topics but many find it difficult so you might need help with that.

Accounting is a very difficult subject to do in one year.

I'd probably do club service farm to get used to the general layout and workings and principles.

Also if you do suspense it'll help with most other topics but many find it difficult so you might need help with that.

Accounting is a very difficult subject to do in one year.

You sure it is difficult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i wouldn't recommend accounting in a year. If one wants to do it in a year it will require serious work

I would suggest doing club,service,and farm for a starters. Then maybe costing. I wouldnt go near published or suspense at the start.

• Advertisement

It is a hard subject FOR ONE YEAR. It's ok for a two year course but would be difficult to do on ones own.

I'd disagree with suspense. Most schools where I'm from (Sligo) start with Suspense accounts as it provides you with a firm building base for the rest of the course. I'd have love if our teacher started with suspense and not have left it until the week before our mocks!

Possibly you can look at revaluation or depreciation. Those are two easy topics and are often on the exam.

It is a hard subject FOR ONE YEAR. It's ok for a two year course but would be difficult to do on ones own.

I'd disagree with suspense. Most schools where I'm from (Sligo) start with Suspense accounts as it provides you with a firm building base for the rest of the course. I'd have love if our teacher started with suspense and not have left it until the week before our mocks!

Possibly you can look at revaluation or depreciation. Those are two easy topics and are often on the exam.

I dunno man. I am really stuck. I know I will fail chemistry whether I do HL or OL For leaving Cert. I am left with either swap to History (No Way too much) Or Accounting. I just wanna find a way of getting into university or college for medicine or pharmacy.

I dunno man. I am really stuck. I know I will fail chemistry whether I do HL or OL For leaving Cert. I am left with either swap to History (No Way too much) Or Accounting. I just wanna find a way of getting into university or college for medicine or pharmacy.

But if your going for pharmacy or medicine would you not need to be comfortable with chemistry not being smart. If you cant do it for the lc how can you do it in college.

Do accounting over history without a doubt but would it not be easier to work at chemistry, i was in your position this time last year and i was failing it but turned it around when I repeated and done relatively well this year.

(totally disregard my comments if i offend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Sorry if this seems a bit rude or insensitive or anything, but if you don't like chemistry, why do you want to do pharmacy?

I'm unsure about other colleges but if you want to do Pharmacy in TCD, It requires HC3 Chemistry.

Edit: So does UCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

I did accounting for my leaving cert this year. Our accounting teacher fell ill in fifth year and the sub we got was terrible so basically my class had to cover the entire course in one year. (sixth year)

There was only four of us doing accounting so it was okay to pick up and ask questions as we had more one on one time.

We studied final accounts which are question 1 and we did budgeting which was question 9 after we had them nailed we focused on ratios, club, farm and published and cashflow accounts. That basically covered the questions on the paper.

Although accounting can be difficult to do in one year if you practice as many exam questions as you can you will be okay. I tried to do at least 3/4 extra questions a week and if I was really good I'd do workings or theory on a question every night.

I was really happy with the exam and I'm confident I got a high grad... It's all about practice and time management!

I hope this helps you and best of luck next year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey guys! Just have a quick question to ask you about Accounting! I started Accounting as my 10th subject in 5th year, although I had an interest in it, I couldn't cope with the workload and ended up dropping it. I have a book and the revision book 'Revise Wise'.

I'm considering trying to learn how to do a few Accounts, as I think it is a good skill to have and I will be doing Accountancy Modules in College as part of my degree. Can anyone recommend any accounts that would be applicable to real-life and would not be that difficult to master and learn how to do?

Pure raging with myself that I dropped it, but I might aswell learn how to do a few handy Accounts over the Summer when I have no job and a lack of money to do anything exciting!

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Hey guys! Just have a quick question to ask you about Accounting! I started Accounting as my 10th subject in 5th year, although I had an interest in it, I couldn't cope with the workload and ended up dropping it. I have a book and the revision book 'Revise Wise'.

I'm considering trying to learn how to do a few Accounts, as I think it is a good skill to have and I will be doing Accountancy Modules in College as part of my degree. Can anyone recommend any accounts that would be applicable to real-life and would not be that difficult to master and learn how to do?

Pure raging with myself that I dropped it, but I might aswell learn how to do a few handy Accounts over the Summer when I have no job and a lack of money to do anything exciting!

Thanks for any replies in advance!

I would say ratios would probarly be the most relevant in todays world, then cashflow and published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Sunny!! wrote: »
    I would say ratios would probarly be the most relevant in todays world, then cashflow and published
    Thank you! I'm considering maybe Final Accounts and Management/Financial account, which I think are in the book aswell!

Advertisement