Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving your family to Saudi Arabia? / Kuwait?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping maybe there might be some people that might offer me some experiences and/or insights.

I've been approached by a recruitment company regarding a position in the Middle East which initially sounds great. The position is offering sufficient potential that I might actually consider uprooting my family and take it.

The role will be based either in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia (Riyadh) and just from what very little I know I'd be inclined to go with Kuwait. I've a wife and 2 small children (3 and 4) which would (eventually) come with me as this is a permanent role.

Of course there are plenty of stories out there with regards to life in Saudi/Kuwait but any experiences would be great.

- did you move your family out there?
    - would you do it again?
    - what's life really like?
    - how far does money stretch? (initial offer is 8.5k USD / month, is this a lot? My wife would want to work eventually (she's a fully qualified medical social worker).
    - what's life like for the kids?
    - if you could choose would you go to Saudi or Kuwait? Why?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions and slightly disjointed, at the moment I'm a bit shocked with the speed and ferocity these guys are moving ahead, I got a call within 2 minutes of sending in my CV and they want to schedule more interviews this week with a view of maybe getting me out there next week for more interviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I have no personal experience of Saudi Arabia (I'm moving to Qatar next month though) but from what I've read, Riyadh is a very dull, oppressive place to live in. Apparently the most "free" place for Westerners in the country is Jeddah.

I have no real knowledge of Kuwait but bear in mind that if you choose Saudi Arabia, your wife will unable to drive a car, is required to have a male guardian at all times and there is gender segregation present in every aspect of social life and work life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

wexie wrote: »
    ...Of course there are plenty of stories out there...

if my own experience is anything to go by, any stories you've heard about KSA and Kuwait - but especially KSA - are likely to be true.

you can live a closseted off existance in KSA, but i would not consider moving my family there for almost any sum you can think of: your families existance would be the compound and the school, thats it. personally, i don't think its that safe either...

there are possible solutions - you could have your family close (ish), but not in KSA, or you could what most people do and have your family near a flight hub, and you work in KSA alone and live a frugally as you can and fly home for a weekend every other week.

theres a reason the wages are so good. its not a freebee, and you need to understand that they have to pay top dollar because if they didn't, no one would set foot in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Thanks for your feedback guys, it does seem indeed that Saudi isn't much of an option for us. My wife wouldn't take very well to being so dependent on me.

The recruitment agency have already indicated it'd be a better option to consider Kuwait and travel to Saudi if and when needed so I guess I'll start looking into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Qatar might be an option if you and your wife wife want to do the 'living in an exotic place' thing - its, imv, while still an islamic country, somewhat less oppressive than KSA, and your wife and children would have a much better, freer time there.

always remember however that none of these countries operate in the same way as we do in the west - your rights are what your employer and the state say they are. if there's a problem, you will be on the losing side. if you have a dispute with your employer, you - and your family - can not leave the state until the problem is resolved to your employers satisfaction.

it doesn't matter if your children are ill, or that you physically run out of money - its your employer who says when you can leave - and theres fcuk all your Embassy can/will do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BEEMER

Would also choose Kuwait !
    Also wondering what agency you're with Wexie, as looking at the Middle East too.. ?

• Advertisement

Hiya Beemer,

I'm not actually using an agency, just got approached by the company through Linkedin. Kuwait by all accounts looks a lot nicer than Saudi. I've heard from more people what OS119 mentioned that you could have your family somewhere nice like Dubai and just spend the week in Saudi and fly home for weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

To go so. S Arabia you need an Entry Visa, to leave and come back you obtain an Exit Entry Visa. As you are not a Gulf national you will need a Visa everytime you leave the country with the added expense.
    I would not recommend S.A, there are no social systems, eg, cinemas, theatres, clubs etc, all you can do is go to a hotel or restaurant for a meal. The local go to prayer 5 times day during which time all shops etc close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

- how far does money stretch? (initial offer is 8.5k USD / month, is this a lot? My wife would want to work eventually (she's a fully qualified medical social worker).
    You shouldn't look at the cash, but at the whole package, does it include housing, travel, medical, schooling etc.... If not, then 8.5K is a pittance. As your wife probably doesn't speak arabic, nor is there much a social structure for citizens, she wont find work in her field.
    you will need a Visa everytime you leave the country with the added expense.
    Cost 200 Euro per year, per person... not a huge issue.

I love living in Saudi, but I don't live in Riyadh :) Kuwait is certainly more open and would be a better choice for a family.

Good Luck with your decision.

John

Well Gents (I think),

the plot is thickening a bit, the company I was dealing with are reluctant to negotiate much. So, although the position would have been wonderful, I've politely told them it's probably not for me.

However out of this whole process some other options have come up in the region so hopefully something will come from that.

Any places aside from Saudi that are definitely a no go? (aside from the obvious ones? No great desire to go to work in a flack jacket) or ones that are absolutely brilliant?

thanks,

W

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bahrain is pretty family friendly and is one of the most laid-back (read: liberal) of the Middle Eastern countries.

I've been there 3 years and am going back in September for more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement