Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two bad batteries from a supplier!!

• 16-07-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys.Just want to point out my experience dealing with a part supplier.I recently purchased a replacement battery from s***ron.ie.Upon taking the phone apart and replacing battery the phone would not boot just stuck on charging screen with no progression.Im comfortable taking my phone apart and putting it back together so made sure to double check cables ect.Ended up putting my original battery back in and the phone was perfect besides the battery running down after about 6 hours use but still worked as it should.I got onto the guys i purchased the battery from and they told me to return it which i did only to be informed 3 days later that they had not received the faulty battery i posted back.After some arguign i decided to let bygones be bygones and purchase another because my phone needs a battery.I got the second battery this morning and after insertion phone gets to apple logo and reboots.Tried a reset,dfu in itunes but while restoring i get error 29.Put my old original battery back in restore an 100%..How in gods name can i get 2 faulty batteries.Im 100%certain its not the phone..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

manu77 wrote: »
    Hi guys.Just want to point out my experience dealing with a part supplier.I recently purchased a replacement battery from s***ron.ie.Upon taking the phone apart and replacing battery the phone would not boot just stuck on charging screen with no progression.Im comfortable taking my phone apart and putting it back together so made sure to double check cables ect.Ended up putting my original battery back in and the phone was perfect besides the battery running down after about 6 hours use but still worked as it should.I got onto the guys i purchased the battery from and they told me to return it which i did only to be informed 3 days later that they had not received the faulty battery i posted back.After some arguign i decided to let bygones be bygones and purchase another because my phone needs a battery.I got the second battery this morning and after insertion phone gets to apple logo and reboots.Tried a reset,dfu in itunes but while restoring i get error 29.Put my old original battery back in restore an 100%..How in gods name can i get 2 faulty batteries.Im 100%certain its not the phone..
    Wrong or bad battery..Check this..3GS Battery Replacement - Successful Restore

3GS Battery Replacement - Success Story

Buying or replacing a 3GS battery from anyone/anyplace other than Apple is a hit-and-miss experience. You are likely to run into numerous problems/issues some of which are listed below:

1. iTunes Unknown error (29) during a restore. The last 3 lines of the error (29) log file:
    gasgauge_swupdate failed: -1; attempting to dump restore log; writing log file: /mnt1/restore.log1
    2. SBSettings (or BatteryDisplay) percentage display will drop from 100-92/3 quickly, pause (+/-30 minutes), then drop at the normal rate
    3. A 100% battery when plugged in will immediately drop to 95% when unplugged, then slowly creep up to 100% within 4-5 minutes.
    4. Slow charging (5-6 hours). Normal 0/2% to 100% is about 2 hours. The USB wall charger will not get warm.
    5. Need to depress the power button longer than normal to power on
    6. Does not automatically power-on when plugging in the power cord
    7. Abnormal performance

The problem?: An out-of-date or not-approved battery APN part # IS the problem !!!

For model MC137LL (mfg week: 24; old bootrom) the shipped APN # is: 616-0433

Any APN # LESS than 616-0433 will FAIL iTunes restore with unknown error (29).

Here's a list of the batteries I tried during a restore:
    APN 616-0366 -- Fail
    APN 616-0431 -- Fail
    APN 616-0433 -- Good (1+ yr-old original)
    APN 616-0435 -- Good
    3GS Battery Replacement - Successful Restore to 3.1.3 or 4.0.1

3GS Battery Replacement - Success Story

Buying or replacing a 3GS battery from anyone/anyplace other than Apple is a hit-and-miss experience. You are likely to run into numerous problems/issues some of which are listed below:

1. iTunes Unknown error (29) during a restore to 3.1.3 or above (Note: 3.1.2 is ok!). The last 3 lines of the error (29) log file:
    gasgauge_swupdate failed: -1; attempting to dump restore log; writing log file: /mnt1/restore.log1
    2. SBSettings (or BatteryDisplay) percentage display will drop from 100-92/3 quickly, pause (+/-30 minutes), then drop at the normal rate
    3. A 100% battery when plugged in will immediately drop to 95% when unplugged, then slowly creep up to 100% within 4-5 minutes.
    4. Slow charging (5-6 hours). Normal 0/2% to 100% is about 2 hours. The USB wall charger will not get warm.
    5. Need to depress the power button longer than normal to power on
    6. Does not automatically power-on when plugging in the power cord
    7. Abnormal performance

The problem?: An out-of-date or not-approved battery APN part # IS the problem !!!

For model MC137LL (mfg week: 24; old bootrom) the shipped APN # is: 616-0433

Any APN # LESS than 616-0433 will FAIL iTunes restore with unknown error (29).

Here's a list of the batteries I tried during a restore:
    APN 616-0366 -- Fail
    APN 616-0431 -- Fail
    APN 616-0433 -- Good (1+ yr-old original)
    APN 616-0435 -- Good
    Unknown 1600mAh high-capacity battery --- Fail

Note1: 3.1.2 restore -- Good for all batteries
    Note2: All batteries had average performance (total usage/standbye time).
    Note3: If you into experimentation, the little circuit board at the bottom of the original Apple battery can be reused

In my opinion the dealer -is- responsible but not really to blame. They are just as dumb as me do not realize the stringent Apple restore process or where Apples ugly little head will appear. I replaced my battery 4 times (10 change-outs including testing). Three bad ones (Florida, Hong Kong, and local reputable repair shop). The last one (this time good) was from a different Hong Kong dealer. It really is hit-and-miss.
    Note1: 3.1.2 restore -- Good for all batteries
    Note2: All batteries had average performance (total usage/standbye time).
    Note3: If you into experimentation, the little circuit board at the bottom of the original Apple battery can be reused

In my opinion the dealer -is- responsible but not really to blame. They are just as dumb as me do not realize the stringent Apple restore process or where Apples ugly little head will appear. I replaced my battery 4 times (10 change-outs including testing). Three bad ones (Florida, Hong Kong, and local reputable repair shop). The last one (this time good) was from a different Hong Kong dealer. It really is hit-and-miss. Note-Unknown 1600mAh high-capacity battery --- FAIL
    What is your original battery part number?Did you order a similar one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 manu77

Thanks for the reply.My original was part no.616-0433.I received a 616-0435 high capacity battery and reading that post thats where my problem is.I told the guys while ordering i needed a 616-0433 like my original but it must have fell on deaf ears.Very professional service..

manu77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.My original was part no.616-0433.I received a 616-0435 high capacity battery and reading that post thats where my problem is.I told the guys while ordering i needed a 616-0433 like my original but it must have fell on deaf ears.Very professional service..
    Reading your bad experience may have saved other users from this problem with this supplier in future.I advised a guy who needs a battery in a similar situation to you to buy from these but ill advise to get oem parts in future.Thank you for your information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

i have used that seller multiple time without issue, send him and email and he will send you out a new one free of charge. Don't come on this forum bad mouthing a seller who has very good rep. Especially considering it was your fault.

My fault?And how is it my fault?Explain?I ordered a replacement battery,first 1 didnt work and returned it only to get lost in post.Second order i added a comment stating i needed a battery same model as my original but was ignored and received again the wrong/malfunctioning battery.How is this my fault are you a member of staff at this company trying to cover your arse?If you read the post you will see that this happened twice.Twice it happened.Ill share my story honestly word for word on a public forum without breaking any rules hassle free thank you.Now onto whatever it is that entertains you besides dogging my posts.

• Advertisement

kjl wrote: »
    i have used that seller multiple time without issue, send him and email and he will send you out a new one free of charge. Don't come on this forum bad mouthing a seller who has very good rep. Especially considering it was your fault.
    The guy told an honest story about an experience he had dealing with the seller.And i agree with op how would this be his fault?He stated he instructed them he needed a battery like the original and that request was ignored.This is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion within the rules and no rules have been broken here.Thumbs up OP and again thanks.

Just sharing an honest experience and im still lost without my battery.Ill go original parts in future.You get what you pay for and the oem might cost a few quid extra but worth the peace of mind and health of my iphone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Ok so this is very weird timing, bought a battery of the same company as the op for my 3GS and I was searching for a fix to my problem.

It's a little different than the scenarios listed out above, basically it works fine when plugged into the charger and will boot normally and stay on. But as soon as I remove the charger the phone turns off. Any ideas if it's a faulty battery or if something software related is causing this??

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Ok so this is very weird timing, bought a battery of the same company as the op for my 3GS and I was searching for a fix to my problem.

It's a little different than the scenarios listed out above, basically it works fine when plugged into the charger and will boot normally and stay on. But as soon as I remove the charger the phone turns off. Any ideas if it's a faulty battery or if something software related is causing this??
    Did it behave like that before the battery change?Try your old battery for clarification Dave if its half operable you'l know the answer to your question.Did you also purchase a high capacity battery?It seems there may be a problem pairing these with a 3gs but im no tech.

giggsy07 wrote: »
    Did it behave like that before the battery change?Try your old battery for clarification Dave if its half operable you'l know the answer to your question.Did you also purchase a high capacity battery?It seems there may be a problem pairing these with a 3gs but im no tech.
    Here is the oem battery specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

giggsy07 wrote: »

Yeah the old battery still works fine so I figure it's a dodgy battery. It is one of those high capacity batteries so maybe that's the issue.

Looks that way but im no tech and the op has identical symptoms when replacing battery.Maybe someone else tech wise can shed some light on this.Interesting..

Advertisement