Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

towing a livestock trailer

• 16-07-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm a tad confused, I know the law regarding towing a trailer changed recently but everyone I ask gives me a different version :confused: I just looked on the garda website but theres nothing there, might have to call into the local barracks if I can find the opening times.. In the meantime does anyone know if I can pull a small trailer, 2 small ponies, its a double axle, with a renault kangoo van. Some people say I need a jeep others say I need a special license......Any other ideas out there ????:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

That van defo wasn't designed to pull that if you want to keep it for long would be better with something stronger.

Your licence has the symbols on it for what your allowed to tow /drive just check its under what you would have to then have to do a test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

You can tow up to 750 kg with a B licence. Above that weight an EB licence is required but you may have this allready depending on when you passed your test.
    I think thats how it works anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Thanks for that, I only plan on doing local runs with van towing the trailer any long distance I'll get a jeep for the day. Must check my licence later. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

O.A.P wrote: »
    You can tow up to 750 kg with a B licence. Above that weight an EB licence is required but you may have this allready depending on when you passed your test.
    I think thats how it works anyway.

I thought it was

You are allowed 3500 kg with a B licence

Car can weight 1500 kg

Trailer/horse box can weight 1000 kg

you can legally tow 500 kg in that trailer now

trailer and load cannot weight more than the Car/van towing it

A Renault Van is to light to tow your load op I'd imagine.

Saw someone pulling a horsebox with a renault kangoo the other day, it had 1 horse in it, not saying it was legal tho :) but you see what I mean by different versions, no one seems to know for sure what the law actually is.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

A renault kangoo is legally allowed to tow 1150 kgs I think so if you were weighted the trailer is surly 400 kgs how heavy are the pony's are they 400 kgs each if so you were over weight, not sure if this includes payload in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

O.A.P. has it correct, you can only tow a trailer of 750kg gross (i.e. laden) on a B licence, see link below, above 750kg gross you need an EB licence.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/About-your-license/Driving-license-categories/

Also the towing vehicle must be capable of towing the trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Hay_man

I don't think think so see here:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Technical-Trailer-Requirements-/

You can tow a trailer that weights 750kg empty

The total combination of your car/jeep, trailer and load cannot exceed 4250kg

That's for a class O1 trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

bnear wrote: »
    I'm a tad confused, I know the law regarding towing a trailer changed recently but everyone I ask gives me a different version :confused: I just looked on the garda website but theres nothing there, might have to call into the local barracks if I can find the opening times.. In the meantime does anyone know if I can pull a small trailer, 2 small ponies, its a double axle, with a renault kangoo van. Some people say I need a jeep others say I need a special license......Any other ideas out there ????:)

It would be a lot more important to talk to your insurance co. If your driving that combination on a B license,you're probably not insured.
    Make sure anything they tell you in the office is also written on your cert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

How big a diesel engine would you need (car wise) to pull a trailer with a bullock in it?

• Advertisement

rancher wrote: »
    It would be a lot more important to talk to your insurance co. If your driving that combination on a B license,you're probably not insured.
    Make sure anything they tell you in the office is also written on your cert
    Thanks for that Rancher, forgot about insurance.....
    I looked up the renault website and from what I can make out a kangoo can tow up to 1200 kg. Thats according to renault but of course the law is probably different, I'll ring my insurance company later hopefully they will know the law !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

bnear wrote: »
    Thanks for that Rancher, forgot about insurance.....
    I looked up the renault website and from what I can make out a kangoo can tow up to 1200 kg. Thats according to renault but of course the law is probably different, I'll ring my insurance company later hopefully they will know the law !!! :D

No problem, if you own land/property your insurance has to be 110%, a summonse is a very small problem in comparison to being involved in an accident without proper insurance..... could lose your farm in a claim

Ok I rang my insurance co yesterday and I'm covered to pull a trailer,...I asked about the new law and was told that the van weights 1 ton so once the trailer is not heavier than the van theres no law broken, so I have to assume they know what they're talking about.... :)
    So thanks again for all the replies....

Advertisement