Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3 vs fallout new vegas

Options
  • 16-07-2012 2:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted to play these and today I won New Vegas and all the DLC.

Is it worth playing 3 first and getting that or should I just play new Vegas? Which was better?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You'll get a lot of personal opinions on this one. For me I preferred Fallout 3 but New Vegas is fantastic too. Both are serious time sinks if you like them. Both have great worlds to explore. Both suffer from the usual Bethesda rpg problem in that it's incredibly addictive building up your character and then suddenly (to be fair many hours later) it loosens it's grip on you because it's all too easy.

It doesn't really matter which one you play first really as apart from references to the original games you won't be seeing any reference in New Vegas to Fallout 3 iirc. Play away I reckon and try Fallout 3 if you enjoy your time in New Vegas.

*edit I suppose with New Vegas you don't get the introduction to whole idea of vaults etc. whereas in Fallout 3 you start as a vault dweller growing up and then moving out into the wasteland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's no real necessity to play Fallout 3 first. I clocked up about 100 hrs in the Fallout 3:GotYE so it'll be an investment (well if you're going to do everything it will be).

New Vegas has a generally improved UI and it tweaks a few other things like reducing the number of perks you can get. It's probably the stronger of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Both are equally great imo, just a matter of taste. I preferred FO3 as it had a darker tone and felt more oppressive, more in keeping with the world you were exploring. New Vegas is a little lighter, more tongue in cheek.
    You certainly wont be missing out on much if you go straight for NV though. Its more or less the same structure as 3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks great replies, will just play this first. I LOVE post apocalyptic anything. This is gunna be good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I preferred by far the New Vegas version, in spite of a lower amount of Steel Brother type present. Perhaps it is just my taste in mutant show-girls. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just bear in mind that Fallout 3 GOTY is only 4.99 at the mo. Nasty little tempter :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout 3 FTW

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mewso wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that Fallout 3 GOTY is only 4.99 at the mo. Nasty little tempter :)

I really want it, damn you steam...have about 20 games to play... :/
    Not the worst problem in the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I really want it, damn you steam...have about 20 games to play... :/
    Not the worst problem in the world.
    Only 20? There's plenty of room there then for more :P

New vegas is way better!
    Just dont expect much when you get to the strip.its a bit of a let down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I preferred NV myself, just couldn't warm to Fallout 3 at all. Found it too grey and drab to play.

Though at €4.99 I might give it another go.

Nody wrote: »
    Only 20? There's plenty of room there then for more :P

I feel bad when I haven't even launched the likes of deus ex HR etc. and I cant get fallout 3 yet so this is amazing.

Are all the DLC missions long? If anybody has played through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Fallout 3 is a tigher game in many respects, especially in character back story and motivation.
    NV is a great game but I found it a lot harder to relate to the character than in FO3.

Side note, if anyone has gotten the Nexus Mod Downloader and mods to work can you drop me a PM? I would love to play FO3 with the high res artwork and 3D but can not get the downloads to work

that reminds me, are there any essential mods for fallout NV before I start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You get to play the games the best way , with all the DLC ready to go up front.

The DLC isn't worth much after you have finished the games as you have nothing to do with all the cool loot you amass :)

FWIW Fallout 3 is the better game imo, more apocalyptic setting overall better radio and music, better story better dlc. It's a 10/10 now that said Fallout NV is a 9.5/10 :D

Nothing beats picking your jaw up off the floor when you exit the vault for the 1st time in Fallout 3, It's one of those truly special gaming moments. Hope you have a spare 300 hours if you go with both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Both games are fantastic - there used to be a mod which linked the two wastelands together (it got taken down by the publisher for some reason, but is still available in certain areas of the internets) - would have solved the problem altogether :pac:

That would be pretty cool! Some day I will own both and try that out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/

Haven't played New Vegas in ages so can't recommend any newer mods. Id recommend checking the top 100 files of all time. Overhaul mods are generally good as they balance the game better and get rid of any impurities and graphics mods are always good as well.

One other thing about New Vegas and the dlc. You might as well play the dlc before finishing the game outright because it actually ends, something I discovered on finishing which was a bit annoying. I was keeping the dlc until I had completed the main game and now I still haven't gone back to play out the dlc because you just feel like you're finished.

nude mod ;P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

New Vegas was one of few games I have finished more than once. Bit glitchy (even after patches) but my favourite game of all time. Loved Fallout 3 too though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I loved both of them, but contrary to popular opinion I actually enjoyed New Vegas more than I enjoyed 3, despite the fact that 3 is also class. I loved the radio stations in New Vegas more too, it was like the post-apocalyptic era of the Mojave desert was stuck in the 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Preferred New Vegas too.

Far more diverse gamein terms of factions, lcoations etc.

3 was amazing as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I liked f3 way more then NV, but both of them can't even put a scratch on F2.

Anyway, F3 felt more like fallout universe. The problems, atmosphere, surroundings, hidden stuff etc. NV felt more like a third world country then post apocalyptic world.
    The strength of f3 was that they focused on one story and ending, where NV tried the whole 3 endings which were worse then average. If you really want to enjoy NV, then you need stay away from main quest.

I bought f3 with all dlcs now ( even ILife I own some dlcs and f3 already lol ), I will be planing to go and finish it again.
    I bought all dlcs on sale for NV too. I heard old world blues is amazing dlc. I want to finish game with lonesome road too as the ending of NV was total balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Personally preferred Fallout 3, never really got into New Vegas to the same extent. Prettier terrain and some new features weren't enough to win me over

I've started on F3 goty and gf has started NV, both have some nice mods installed too. Thanks guys!

Gonna go through them both :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wish I was buying both for the first time again :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

havent modded NV yet but I remember some of the mods for fo3 made it look lovely

the darker nights and wasteland lighting in particular.. once it got dark, you really needed those lampposts and extra light sources around to make your way.. was more immersive and pretty as hell

love that kinda stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I couldnt get into fallout new vegas, really tried, always gave up within an hour, seemed very similar

Advertisement