Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We have all met verbal abuse on the internet But . . .

• 16-07-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

We Christians have all met verbal abuse on the internet, but what about face to face verbal abuse? Have you ever encountered this?

If you have encountered this would like to share one or more stories in which you met face to face someone who says the things people do here on the internet when trolling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Snappy Smurf

Yeah, my brother said some things to me in a mocking way. I don't think you could say it was verbal abuse as such, more like he was mocking core Catholic beliefs to my face. He goes to Mass at Christmas and Easter and receives Holy Communion at those times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not Catholic but family members are and they would have comments from family / friends. Its not abuse as such but more the kind of "how can you go to mass after all that's happened, are you not embarrassed" kind of thing. I think its par of the course and they deal with it well, they are also well able to dish it out to people of other faiths themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

I think we would (in a humble way) be delighted to be considered worthy of such abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Yes, I have received abuse most often from people who go to daily Mass and call themselves Catholic.

Maybe we should all study this morning's first reading:

What are your endless sacrifices to me?
    says the Lord.
    I am sick of holocausts of rams
    and the fat of calves.
    The blood of bulls and of goats revolts me.
    When you come to present yourselves before me,
    who asked you to trample over my courts?
    Bring me your worthless offerings no more,
    the smoke of them fills me with disgust.
    Take your wrong-doing out of my sight.
    Cease to do evil.
    Learn to do good,
    search for justice,
    help the oppressed,
    be just to the orphan,
    plead for the widow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Other than my son jokingly calling me a nut-job when I remind him of his Catholic obligations (he doesn't go to Mass), I haven't met with any verbal abuse as such!

• Advertisement

Most of the verbal abuse I've suffered has come from Catholics, mainly family members. These are often Sunday Mass attendees and what would be called 'good Catholics', pillars of society. I find the greatest anti-Catholics are 'Catholics' themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I've certainly had abuse for the actions of the Church to which I belong - largely because of our multicultural emphasis. I've had people threatening me on the street, screaming at me that I'm a 'n****r lover', and have had death threats sent through the post.

PDN wrote: »
    I've certainly had abuse for the actions of the Church to which I belong - largely because of our multicultural emphasis. I've had people threatening me on the street, screaming at me that I'm a 'n****r lover', and have had death threats sent through the post.

That's awful! :(

Was it here in Ireland, or elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

totus tuus wrote: »
    That's awful! :(

Was it here in Ireland, or elsewhere?

Here in Ireland, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

PDN wrote: »
    Jesus seriously? Thats very bad.

• Advertisement

Rasheed wrote: »
    ***** seriously? Thats very bad.
    So is taking the LORD's name in vain!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

As someone on the otherside of it as an athiest i wouldnt verbally abuse christians personally either face to face or on the internet,its their choice if they want to believe in a god..as long as its not imposed on others..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Let us be mindful of our own sinfulness before the Lord snappy.

Onesimus wrote: »

I'm snappy, I can't help it! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

I get awful abuse for telling other Christians that they can only be saved through faith and not by works. I even quote chapter and verse. They seem to think that they might be able to garner some favor with God because of their behavior but fail to understand the word 'Grace' means unmerited favor i.e it cannot be earned. I tell them that message i.e. saved by works, will send them to hell and they say that I'm going to hell because I don't 'act' all holy and all. I don't know, you just can't get through to some people, ah well, their loss.

I get awful abuse for telling other Christians that they can only be saved through faith and not by works. I even quote chapter and verse. They seem to think that they might be able to garner some favor with God because of their behavior but fail to understand the word 'Grace' means unmerited favor i.e it cannot be earned. I tell them that message i.e. saved by works, will send them to hell and they say that I'm going to hell because I don't 'act' all holy and all. I don't know, you just can't get through to some people, ah well, their loss.
    Funnily, I asked my nephew how do you get to heaven, and he said 'by doing good deeds'. He goes to a Catholic primary school. There you are. I tried to correct his thinking, but it was mostly all lost on him.

http://www.catholicbible101.com/faithandworks.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, within mix-company of believers/non I've never really came across much beyond a polite disagreement with Church/Christian teaching. I'd reckon in groups where one type predominates the moderatising effect would not be present.

Funnily, I asked my nephew how do you get to heaven, and he said 'by doing good deeds'. He goes to a Catholic primary school. There you are. I tried to correct his thinking, but it was mostly all lost on him.

http://www.catholicbible101.com/faithandworks.htm

Exactly! We are all judged and our eternal destiny is determined in accordance with our works.
    Matt. 25:40,45 - Jesus says "Whatever you did to the least of my brothers, you did it to Me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

You're comparing saying 'Jesus' to sending death threats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

totus tuus wrote: »
    Exactly! We are all judged and our eternal destiny is determined in accordance with our works.

The only way we can be accepted on the basis of our works is when our works are perfect. Are our works perfect? If not then we need forgiveness for our imperfections and the only basis for forgiveness is through Christ who died for our sins i.e imperfections. The only way we can treat the least of His right is to have His spirit in us, working through us, and that can only be done through our Faith in Him not our faith in our works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Onesimus wrote: »

Who is lord snappy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yeah have gotten a bit of abuse over the last few years. Often from casual acquaintences etc. Lost a couple of "friends" in the beginning... and got some abuse off a total stranger one day in Chapters bookshop in Dublin because I was browsing in the section of religious books to pass some time while I waited for someone else. He decided he just had to throw his tuppence worth in. It was a bizarre incident.

uberalles wrote: »
    Who is lord snappy ?

That is so funny! :D

Advertisement