Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foundation help

• 16-07-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, this thread seems a bit appropriate but I have a question and hey, this foundation was mentioned in the opening post.

Errr I've been using EL Double Wear Light for a while now and it's grand, I guess, I used to think it was great at the beginning but my skin was a lot better back then (I don't think the quality of my skin is related to the make-up either, I got veeery lazy with my skincare routine due to illness a while back and it hasn't been the same since) and it's just not really doing it coverage-wise for me anymore. So apparently good old regular Double Wear provides much better coverage but I've also heard that it's not really suitable for everyday wear and is more suitable for nights out, whereas I'm really looking for an everyday foundation at the moment! I seem to value the opinion of boardsies more than any other random internet people so does anyone have any advice to offer me? :p Or if anyone could offer up suggestions of foundations for everyday wear that have great coverage, that'd be cool too! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hi Slow Show, I moved your post to its own thread to save the other one going off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I really like rimmell 25hr foundation. Its under €10 and I bought it 'cause Double Wear was too heavy and dry for me, and the DW Light didn't have the right shade, and was also a tiny bit too sheer.

I think rimmel 25hr would be inbetween these 2 foundations.
    Be worth a go, its only cheap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I like bourjois 123 at the moment, love that rimmel one too but it breaks me out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I like Revlon Colourstay or Borjouis healthy mix, or the healthy mix serum is slightly lighter :) both can be bought in boots, slightly more expensive but i also like Clinique Even Better or Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+ 1 for Revlon Colourstay - very buildable so can be sheer or heavy, sits beautifully on the skin and doesn't get cakey like others can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Another +1 for Colourstay or Photoready, both great!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 x167346

I use double wear everyday, I have Tawney for day wear and then Shell Beige for nights out, I wouldn't buy any other foundation!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

for good coverage go for tesco mousse foundation souffle in soft linen or maybelline mousse in cameo,they say to get good coverage go one shade lighter than your own skintone..

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Couldn't recommend Revlon enough! They're the best drugstore brand for various skin tones

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

x167346 wrote: »
    I use double wear everyday, I have Tawney for day wear and then Shell Beige for nights out, I wouldn't buy any other foundation!!
    I use doublewear every day too! And I don't find it gives me a 'heavily made up' look either. I just don't use too much for day to day wear and a bit more for night-time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

for good coverage go for tesco mousse foundation souffle in soft linen or maybelline mousse in cameo,they say to get good coverage go one shade lighter than your own skintone..

That makes no sense?

+1 on Colourstay, initially bought it as a cheaper replacement for the Double Wear but I actually prefer it because I find it sits less heavily on my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I wouldnt recommend going one shade lighter, it will make you look washed out and ashy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Namlub wrote: »
    That makes no sense?

+1 on Colourstay, initially bought it as a cheaper replacement for the Double Wear but I actually prefer it because I find it sits less heavily on my skin.

I think they mean incase you want to build it up, to get more coverage?
    Also recommend dream matte mouse, although not too sure about the lasting power .. maybe that's just my skin.

I use a max factor one .. I dont know the name but it's their cheapest one, in the small pink and black tube?
    Excellent coverage, quite thick and creamy.

If your skins is like mine and you have acne, I recommend using a green concealer underneath foundation on spots .. works miracles!
    I use inglots .. its so thick and creamy too!

biohaiid wrote: »
    I think they mean incase you want to build it up, to get more coverage?
    Mmm, just reminds me of some woman working in Boots advising me to always go a shade darker "to give yourself a bit of colour" a few years ago. How do people not understand that foundation should match your skin?

Namlub wrote: »
    Mmm, just reminds me of some woman working in Boots advising me to always go a shade darker "to give yourself a bit of colour" a few years ago. How do people not understand that foundation should match your skin?

I didn't suggest it, just offering some reasoning as to why someone might suggest it.

Um yeah, I didn't say you suggested it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

PlayGirl wrote: »
    I really like rimmell 25hr foundation. Its under €10 and I bought it 'cause Double Wear was too heavy and dry for me, and the DW Light didn't have the right shade, and was also a tiny bit too sheer.

I think rimmel 25hr would be inbetween these 2 foundations.
    Be worth a go, its only cheap :)

I use this aswell and I find it brilliant. Well worth the 8euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Another Revlon Colourstay fan here! Absolutely adore this foundation, it's the only one I've ever tried that gives me a flawless base, and doesn't wreck my skin in the process. I always get compliments on my make-up, about how natural it looks and how good my skin looks. This, despite the fact that my face is covered in hyperpigmentation from all the acne over the years.

I had allergic reactions to Doublewear and MAC Studio Fix Fluid which took my skin several weeks to recover from each time. I'm also allergic to the price tag...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

My skin went to hell after the baby, and aswell after being a fan of fake tan too hardly ever get to use - I've found the rimmel 25 great for the fact it's frequently on special and very forgiving on the complexion, so bought two shades, that I mix depending on my particular shade that day :) I also am a big fan now No.7 primer underneath (usually expensive at 24 euro but get boots 7.50 off voucher when they do that promo-I find it really works. Also love urban decay surreal cream to powder foundation, isn't dry and gives great coverage though a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Try a BB Cream. Personally, I used to use full coverage foundation and wouldn't leave the house without it on. I was never keen on tinted moisturiser but I find BB cream is so different than tinted moisturiser. It makes our skin look so healthy. I only use real foundation now on nights out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My favourite foundation is benefit play stick. Used double wear, Clinique, bourgois, max factor - all liquid foundations but the best coverage I'm getting is the benefit one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Hello everyone, thanks for all of your help! I'm glad to say that I am now a Revlon Colorstay advocate. I managed to get my hands on some and its coverage really is superb. It's not perfect admittedly, but considering the cost it'll certainly do me. I'll have to get myself into Boots when I've a day off and find the perfect shade for me (used Ivory while trying it out, it's an OK match but I'll try a darker shade just to see). Anyway, while I'm here, has anyone ever had any experience with the Colorstay powder? I've gone from never using powder to considering it to be absolutely essential, so I'm just wondering whether I should go crazy and get that with the foundation. Or if anyone could even tell me what powder they use with Colorstay, that'd be cool too.

Thanks. :)

Slow Show wrote: »
    Hello everyone, thanks for all of your help! I'm glad to say that I am now a Revlon Colorstay advocate. I managed to get my hands on some and its coverage really is superb. It's not perfect admittedly, but considering the cost it'll certainly do me. I'll have to get myself into Boots when I've a day off and find the perfect shade for me (used Ivory while trying it out, it's an OK match but I'll try a darker shade just to see). Anyway, while I'm here, has anyone ever had any experience with the Colorstay powder? I've gone from never using powder to considering it to be absolutely essential, so I'm just wondering whether I should go crazy and get that with the foundation. Or if anyone could even tell me what powder they use with Colorstay, that'd be cool too.

Hi, just wondering did you get the liquid or the new whipped mousse kinda one?
    I'm thinking about trying out a new foundation and I've never tried Revlon, so why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Slow Show wrote: »

I don't use the Colorstay powder, I don't actually know anything about it. But I do use the Rimmel Stay Matte and it does a really good job. It's really cheap too, just over a fiver, and I never have problems with my make-up becoming shiny and sliding off, despite my super oily skin. :)

rimmel-stay-matte-pressed-powder-001-transparent--617-p.jpg

Advertisement