Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro package - Is 100gb usage limit enough?

• 16-07-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So I've been looking into upgrading my broadband and so far Digiweb's Metro Express 30Mb broadband package looks very promising. The only hitch is the 100gb limit (over a 30 day period).

I download quite a bit of music as well as using netflix and gaming online so do you think 100gb would be sufficient. On their website it's listed as "free traffic included", does that only apply to downloading or would it get used up by streaming videos, gaming ect. as well?

My current eircom package only has a 30gb limit which I nearly always exceed (only by 10gb or so) but they don't seem to actually impose the penalty for going over, does anybody know if Digiweb are more stringent and if so what happens when you go over?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭kippy

SeanMcG95 wrote: »
    So I've been looking into upgrading my broadband and so far Digiweb's Metro Express 30Mb broadband package looks very promising. The only hitch is the 100gb limit (over a 30 day period).

I download quite a bit of music as well as using netflix and gaming online so do you think 100gb would be sufficient. On their website it's listed as "free traffic included", does that only apply to downloading or would it get used up by streaming videos, gaming ect. as well?

My current eircom package only has a 30gb limit which I nearly always exceed (only by 10gb or so) but they don't seem to actually impose the penalty for going over, does anybody know if Digiweb are more stringent and if so what happens when you go over?

Thanks in advance :)
    Everything, including streaming and uploading, is put towards the traffic limit.
    If you are currently only using 40 GB, do you see yourself adding to that useage?
    There is plenty of information about the impact of streaming a two hour movie at a certain quality over a broadband connection so you might need to get that data and work it out.
    I was with Digiweb a few years ago (metro) and when you went over your limit your were given a warning as you approached it and throttled to very slow speeds until you either purchased an addon or changed package.
    Wasnt the worst thing to happen as you were given plenty notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Netflix has options so that you can have a lower quality stream but it uses less of your allowance. I think the lowest setting uses 300MB per hour so for a 100GB you can stream a fair bit. I think it would be enough if its only one person using the connection but when multiple people are using it you dont be long going through the allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Probably more than enough... Unless you download a lot 100gb should be fine really even with the services you mentioned and if you're on 30gb and only went over to about 40, sure yer only half way there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

While 100Gb sounds like a lot, one word of warning. When you are used to a certain limit and the limit changes, it will often happen that you will get used to the new limit quite quickly and also your internet use will change.

I was on the 30 Gb Digiweb package (a very long time ago) and never had enough. I paid a fiver extra extra for 10Gb if I recall correctly, still not enough. Nowadays I am on an unlimited package and download between 150 and 200 Gb. This seems to be my equilibrium.

But my speed is not good enough for Netflix and live streaming. If that would happen, probably my total usage would increase again.

So while 100 Gb sounds a lot right now, it might well be that this new found limit of 100Gb is not enough in the end.

It's a bit like a salary increase. At first you think it's WOW, but soon you have a bit of month left at the end of your money - like usual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

LADS,

Quick question,

Do digiweb throttle peer to peer file sharing such as bit torrent downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Anyone able to answer lads?

Need to know this for sure before I order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭kippy

LADS,

Quick question,

Do digiweb throttle peer to peer file sharing such as bit torrent downloads?

They didn't on their metro package which I had up until a year or so ago in Galway.
    They only throttled when you went over your usage limits.

I am not sure however whether they signed up to the three strikes and your out setup that eircom did when it came to certain types of torrents so things may have changed.

Advertisement