Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carry large camera on belt?

• 16-07-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi All,

I currently have a Canon PowerShot A1100 IS Digital Camera. While it gets great reviews on amazon, I was never quite happy with the pictures.

I'm looking to get a new camera for my next holiday, but my main requirement is that I can carry it in a case attached to my belt (I really do not want a shoulder bag).

What point-and-shoot camera would produce the best pictures that I could carry on my belt? Maybe in the 100-200 price range?

Or an even better question - does anyone have experience of carrying a bridge camera on their belt? Or would that be too big?

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Some people (not me) carry DSLRs on their belt: http://www.spiderholster.com/

What's "too big" is really down to personal preference.

If you want to carry it in a case, then I suppose the availability of a case with a belt loop comes into play. I have a Lowepro case that fits my DSLR with a 70-400 lens attached that has a belt loop on it (that I've never used *), so I'd assume you'd have little problem finding them for pretty much any compact/bridge camera.

* My trousers would probably end up around my ankles if I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

A DSLR would probably be too big and heavy. I assume the bridge cameras are generally smaller and lighter? I might look into a belt case for a bridge camera.

I'm not into using different lenses etc. Just trying to get the best quality picture for the smallest size that fits comfortably on my belt. I've heard bridge cameras have better quality images than point-and-shoot ones.

I used to have a bridge camera that had a case with a belt loop. I never used it as I never wear my t-shirts/shirts/etc. inside my pants, and I felt awkward having to have my shirt either going over the case (so hanging naturally all round me, except where the case was and it'd be stuffed in around that) or have the case under the shirt (which made me look like I was hiding something under my shirt).

However, it also had one of them steel keyringy type hook things on it, that you can clip onto things. I used to clip that onto the belt loop of my pants every now and again when needed and it was grand. It used to swing about a bit when walking around, but it was low enough that i could wear upper body clothing comfortably.

If you tuck your shirts in though, a belt loop could work fine.

I got it in Argos (who at the moment have a case for less than €10, which looks something similar, but doesn't have the same single-hook thing i was talking about).

Advertisement