Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

square bales

• 16-07-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Why don't farmers use these bales anymore. I use to like working with them when a farmer would come onto our land and make them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

too much work, have to be stacked, then lifted onto the trailer then stcked in the barn.
    slower to feed out then just dumping a round bale in the feeder
    also works out more expensive then round bales.

so price, speed and workload are the reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

And prob risk as well - Making hay is risky anways, but with square bales, til they are in the shed, they are not safe. Whereas with big round bales, once baled, they are safe enough, it doesnt matter if they get rained on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

And prob risk as well - Making hay is risky anways, but with square bales, til they are in the shed, they are not safe. Whereas with big round bales, once baled, they are safe enough, it doesnt matter if they get rained on.

However you can bale square bales earlier than round bales you want hay very good to round bale.

Everythings has it pro's and cons if I can buy a few square bales handy every 2-3 years about 100 I buy handy to have as opposed to opening round bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

round bales are so much handier. in the 1990s we used to sell square bales of hay, we would make around 3k of them a year. sell around 2k and keep 1k for ourselves. so much manual labour with them compared to round bales, when the only manual labour we have would be switching the angle of the tines in the hay bob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Whereas with big round bales, once baled, they are safe enough, it doesnt matter if they get rained on.
    Until you stick your hand into one of them in the field and feel the heat :mad:

The last time I remember when hay was fit to round bale was 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Until you stick your hand into one of them in the field and feel the heat :mad:

The last time I remember when hay was fit to round bale was 2006.

Got a week of good weather the start of June 2008 and I made some nice round bales of hay. However it bucketed it down then not long after for weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanemurack

Round bales are all the rage nowadays I'm afraid.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

For sale, excellent quality hay, saved without rain. U dont see too many of these ads this year for some strange reason.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Square bales are handy for calves bedding or feeding hay

Not many made nowadays though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

If I manage to get hay its small square ones I like. They very handy if you have one animal in a shed sick or whatever. I also have a couple of horses. Its easier to throw 2 bales into the back of the van than opening a big silage bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

i know a man selling hay and straw in mayo and he sells a minimum of 350-400 small squares a week this time of year and in winter could sell that in a day,depends where in the country you are,like a man from athy was asking me if a had slurry to spare to spread on tillage ground,he was going to travel 25 miles with a lorry and tanker for it that you could nearly sell it around there,around here at the moment you couldnt give it away,its amazing how in such a small country how thing differ

Advertisement