Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mastitis in a suckler cow!

• 16-07-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me. Whats the best treatment. I have a Charlois suckler cow with three week old calf. She had alot of milk initally meaning i had to milk her once a day but she got mastitis in one quarter and i am drawing the teat every day hoping it might go. Im new to this game and am looking for advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

nealger wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me. Whats the best treatment. I have a Charlois suckler cow with three week old calf. She had alot of milk initally meaning i had to milk her once a day but she got mastitis in one quarter and i am drawing the teat every day hoping it might go. Im new to this game and am looking for advice?

Contact your vet who will be able to give you a mastitis tube for to put into the affected quarter. When you draw the quarter, do you get plugs and curd, or is the quarter just flagged (Hard) with normal milk coming from it?

The problem established because you milked the cow. The more you milk her, the more milk she produces. Best to put a cow with a lot of milk on bare ground until the calf is able to take all the milk that she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Thanks Reilig,
    When I draw the quarter, i got plugs and curd, and in the lat day or two its Hard with no milk coming from it just watery curdy and even bloody. I have endomycin. Was gona give her 20ccs to see would that clear it up.
    I probably shouldnt have touched her at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thanks Reilig,
    When I draw the quarter, i got plugs and curd, and in the lat day or two its Hard with no milk coming from it just watery curdy and even bloody. I have endomycin. Was gona give her 20ccs to see would that clear it up.
    I probably shouldnt have touched her at all.

Best thing to do is call to your vet. It won't be too expensive. He/she will sort you out. When you're new to the game, its better to be safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

reilig wrote: »
    Best thing to do is call to your vet. It won't be too expensive. He/she will sort you out. When you're new to the game, its better to be safe than sorry.

Best advice right there.
    We had this a few years ago in two sucklers and both lost quarters. If its hard and milking out blood and crap then I'd say your in trouble. Get your vet ASAP. It's tough as ours were grand sucklers but didn't mix well with being brought in for treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Vet job alright!
    Our own vet is gone away from tubes altogether. Antibiotic regime and keep stripping the quarter is what he had us at.
    These suckler cows with big bags of milk can be a right pain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Bizzum wrote: »
    Vet job alright!
    Our own vet is gone away from tubes altogether. Antibiotic regime and keep stripping the quarter is what he had us at.
    These suckler cows with big bags of milk can be a right pain!

I had suckler cow this year, who tight from calving seemed to have one huge quarter. Loads of milk and big bottle teat. Calf couldn't suck it. Had to bring her in once a day for a month to milk it out. Sometime missed a day if other pressures, but got it most of the time. In the end I kept her in for about four days and separated the calf. Twice a day put her in crush and milked out the other three quarters. Then put calf in her. He had no choice but to swing out of the big one. He got the message. She on the other hand is destined for a morning meeting with Larry Goodman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

maybe a little late now but for future times, don't draw teh cow regardless of how much milk she has. Leave that to the calf as he/she will only draw her when he is able to take it all. You'll never have any bother with mastitis this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Thats great, thanks to everyone that posted it was really informative. I have been in touch with the vet and he is coming out thisafternoon. Hopefully he will save the quarter.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Dunedin wrote: »
    maybe a little late now but for future times, don't draw teh cow regardless of how much milk she has. Leave that to the calf as he/she will only draw her when he is able to take it all. You'll never have any bother with mastitis this way.

This is the thing, nature will regulate the milk supply to demand. If you leave the teat then little or no milk will be produced. By million it out your stimulating the demand and the quarter will produce lots of milk as a result, if it's not being consumed then your in trouble with mastitis.

Advertisement