Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing college courses after a year?

• 16-07-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

So I've just done the leaving cert and am really unsure as to what to do after... I was between science and business but put business on the cao in the end... After year 1 of college, if i decide I want to do science and re-apply to the cao, how much will the change cost me? Like is there extra fees? Sorry this might seem a bit vague

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

So I've just done the leaving cert and am really unsure as to what to do after... I was between science and business but put business on the cao in the end... After year 1 of college, if i decide I want to do science and re-apply to the cao, how much will the change cost me? Like is there extra fees? Sorry this might seem a bit vague

As far as I know, if you want to go back to first year of a different course I believe you have to pay the first year fees. It's a sort of if you 'waste it' you lose your free fees for that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You'll have to pay course fees, which are generally about €5,000 - €6,000 upwards, depending on the course.

You also might not be able to get the maintenance grant, which could put you back up to €3,000 if you had qualified for it.

You'll have to pay the registration fee of €2500 (as it will be in 2013) which the maintenance grant would otherwise have paid.

There are cut off dates that you can drop out of college before and avoid having to pay the fees the following year. It depends on the college, for example, NUIG states that "If you cancel officially with our Student Contact Centre before 30/09/10 there is no fee impact. If you cancel officially with our Student Contact Centre before 31/01/11 you will be 50% eligible for free fees if you return to 3rd level studies in September 2011. If you cancel officially with our Student Contact Centre after 01/02/11 you will be 100% ineligible for free fees if you return to 3rd level studies in September 2011". That obviously hasn't been updated but I wouldn't imagine there's been too much of a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I'm nearly sure in UCD you have til near the end of the first semester to drop out without having to pay full fees the following year. Also there are certain courses where if they're similar you may get away with transferring into second year of the other course, possibly having to take a couple of the first year modules. Business & Science are fairly different though so it probably wouldn't apply.

Advertisement