Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stokes Research Institute

Options
  • 16-07-2012 3:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering has anyone worked or done any research in the Stokes Research Institute?

If so how did they find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Yeap, I'm finding it grand. Really like my supervisor.

I have found they work close with industry so the work you doing isn't so abstract. That could be my supervisor though.

Care to be a little bit more specific? Like who will you be working with?
    Will you be doing a postgrad?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've applied for a PhD there.

It's a position they're advertising and it seems to be have some industrial links/sponsors which sounds pretty good I think.

Can I ask do you do any undergrad teaching or lab assisting? Or how is your time structured e.g. do you fill in timesheets or anything like that?

Also is the Institute on holidays at the moment? I haven't been able to get an answer on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The whole uni is quiet during the summer, but i think stokes only have reception before 1 each day. You might be best to email whoever is the link on the phd advert and arrange a phonecall or a drop in.
    If you are doing a phd in mech eng you will likely be assigned one module per semister for 5 semisters as TA. You won't get paid extra for it. Some lecturers will get you to correct exam papers, and you will likely get some money for this. The hours vary a lot depending on the module, so hope of the easy ones, or at least ones linked to your work so you don't have to prepare so much:P

Advertisement