Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security

Options
  • 16-07-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Just hoping that someone can recommend a good and reasonable home alarm installers for a new alarm system to replace an old wired system in the Dublin 9 area.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are some installers here listed in the sticky.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    What system have you at the moment and what problems are you having with it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

the current one is a homeguard scopetronic, and it is not giving any real problem as such. We have replaced doors and windows and want to change the contacts to white to match the colour of these as well as the fact as most of the contacts are quite old

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like the right time to upgrade ok.
    A hybrid system like Siemens or HKC Securewave would be your best option

Yea it seems to be the time to do it.

Any idea of ballpark price for 3 doors and 9 windows (3 downstairs, 6 upstairs)

Around €600- €800 depending on what you want and the wiring.
    Get someone to call out and do a survey to make sure all is ok.

• Advertisement

thanks,
    already had a quote of 900 for HKC Secure Watch with 3 doors and 9 windows (already wired) and 1 hall beam and one panic button, but this was more than they had originally told us when we got the old alarm serviced about 6 months ago

That's why we suggest shopping around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Stay clear of them if they want to put in a HKC secure watch panel . Probably trying to clear out their old stock . The HKC secure wave hybrid panel is the one to install or the siemens range

Thunderbird is right. I never noticed that. Securewatch is a panel that's going around forever. The last time I used one of them on a new install would have been 10 years ago. Steer well clear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Although the Securewave has more features and is more modern, the Securewatch is a tried and tested panel that's bullet proof and bug free.

• Advertisement

So is a Vista 5 ,but you wouldn't see me installing them now either.

There is nothing wrong with installing the Securewatch. The Securewave is a step up alright but to say "stay well clear" is a bit dramatic.

There's about €30 in the difference between the two and if the customer doesn't want or need the features of the Securewave then they're glad of the extra few quid in their pocket.

And if Vista 5's were still available (and met standards) and were a fraction of the price of others then I'd happily install them for people who had a tight budget and wanted a reliable alarm that worked.

Each to their own. I couldn't justify offering a customer 10 year old technology. What would you think of a rep in a phone shop if he tried to sell you a Nokia 6110?
    If it were me I be thinking this guy doesn't know his stuff.

The two types of technology aren't comparable. As you know, mobile phone technology has progressed extremely fast over the past decade, probably more than any other field while alarm systems haven't progressed nearly as much as phones in that time.

It could be argued that modern panel aren't really a million miles away from the CS350. So ten years ain't really that long of a time in the security business.

And BTW, the 6110 was a great phone.

I agree the 6110 was a great phone,
    Likewise the CS350 was a great panel , so was the Securewatch.
    I just don't see why anyone would offer their customers such a dated product.
    If you compare to Siemens, Secure wave and others I think alarm panels have come a long way in the last 10 years. I have never had anyone ask me for a Secure watch to save €30. If it came down to that I'd give them a discount on the newer panel for the sake of it.
    I honestly cant think of 1 good reason why someone would use one on a new install.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

efahey wrote: »
    thanks,
    already had a quote of 900 for HKC Secure Watch with 3 doors and 9 windows (already wired) and 1 hall beam and one panic button, but this was more than they had originally told us when we got the old alarm serviced about 6 months ago

If the control panel and Keypad is all that is being replaced then €900 is double what most company's charge. Shop around before agreeing on any work to be carried out. I too would go for the Securewave over the Securewatch. At lease you would have the ability to add wire free devices to your system if it ever needed to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Although the Securewave has more features and is more modern, the Securewatch is a tried and tested panel that's bullet proof and bug free.

The securewatch had a bug ..
    You could never setup a temporary user

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The securewatch had a bug ..
    You could never setup a temporary user

Apart from that it was a good panel. They are being fazed out now.

Advertisement